diy solar

diy solar

Neutral/ground bonding a Victron Phoenix 12|250

rootusrootus

I have a little Phoenix 12|250 inverter that I use to power a TV when we're boondocking. So far, so good, the TV plug is only two-prong to begin with. But this inverter won't power my Starlink. Given that it is a perfectly good inverter from a reputable company and I've no reason to doubt the quality of the AC produced nor the capacity (Starlink pulls maybe 60W or so), I'm trying to track down -why- the Starlink won't turn on with this inverter.

My guess is that it's because the inverter output is floating neutral. I assume, having run into this in the past with other SpaceX-adjacent power equipment, that it is testing the ground connection and balking when it notices there is no bond between them.

The few threads I find on the Victron forums say external bonding is possible, but they do not elaborate beyond that. And I've never seen a full discussion on whether the inverter should be grounded or not, especially if the 'neutral' and ground are bonded. Victron mentions that some of their inverters have internal wiring to accomplish the bonding, but this is not included with the small ones.

Can I just use a standard neutral/ground bonding plug like I would on my generator? What about the ground for the inverter chassis? Finding a way to get it to the RV frame is easier said than done, but if necessary I will find a way to make it happen.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Disregard. Turns out my particular inverter does have the internal bonding connection. That was an easy solution. Unfortunately, while that satisfied the Starlink's need for a bonded ground, it turns out that the 250VA inverter isn't large enough. I don't think v2 is supposed to spike higher than 250, but whatever it hits when it's time to move the dish is too much for the inverter and it bails out. Time for a new inverter.

Last edited:
BTW, the inverter is rated in VA 250VA, and rated in Watt is 200W (based on PF of around 0.8). i myself have 1200VA/1000W version.

Back