diy solar

diy solar

neutral-ground bonding giandel - how to interpret their advice?

xonq

I am using a Giandel inverter, PS-2200KAR 2200 W. I wired the inverter through an automatic transfer switch (GO Power! TS-30 amp) to a breaker panel. So it goes inverter & shore -> transfer switch -> panel

I tried to wire USB-compatible outlets from this panel - without the outlet breaker on, I have voltage between the hot and neutral of the main breaker, but whenever I flip on the outlet breaker I get an open neutral. All connections and wires are good, so this makes me think that I'm having a problem similar to this post. If I'm correct, then the lack of a neutral-ground bond in the inverter is throwing off the outlets.

My RV uses off-grid and shore power, I need to bond neutral-ground BEFORE the transfer switch buses. I inquired with Giandel about, but I'm not sure if it is safe for me to bond neutral-ground. Furthermore, the inverter is grounded to chassis from their ground terminal. My questions are: can I just use the GFCI and clear all the faults a neutral-ground would; if not, then following the inverter, can I use a 20 amp GFCI breaker, bond N-G, then enter the transfer switch?

Hello Xonq,
Thank you for purchasing our Giandel 2200w inverter.
The model of 2200w black version is PS-2200KAR, not ksc.
And the inverter has no the connection between neutral and ground.
Inverter's grounding design is different with City Power, it is a separate power system, it can not be same as city power to connect the GN to earth from somewhere.
So we do not suggest you connect the neutral and ground of inverter, it is dangerous to, will cause electric shock,also can not pass HIPOT testing. Unless you use a GFCI socket to connect the inverter's Neutral and Ground.
If you really want to do this connection, please refer to the following diagram:
index.png
Hope this can help you, thanks.

Regards,
Elsa

Last edited:
I am using a Giandel inverter, PS-2200KAR 2200 W. I wired the inverter through an automatic transfer switch (GO Power! TS-30 amp) to a breaker panel. So it goes inverter & shore -> transfer switch -> panel

I tried to wire USB-compatible outlets from this panel - without the outlet breaker on, I have voltage between the hot and neutral of the main breaker, but whenever I flip on the outlet breaker I get an open neutral. All connections and wires are good, so this makes me think that I'm having a problem similar to this post. If I'm correct, then the lack of a neutral-ground bond in the inverter is throwing off the outlets.

My RV uses off-grid and shore power, I need to bond neutral-ground BEFORE the transfer switch buses. I inquired with Giandel about, but I'm not sure if it is safe for me to bond neutral-ground. Furthermore, the inverter is grounded to chassis from their ground terminal. My questions are: can I just use the GFCI and clear all the faults a neutral-ground would; if not, then following the inverter, can I use a 20 amp GFCI breaker, bond N-G, then enter the transfer switch?
I am interested in this thread too. Any results?

I got an email back from them stating that my model is not N-G bonded. They recommend NOT N-G bonding and using a GFCI between the breaker box and inverter if I decide to do so.

I ended up using AFCI+GFCI circuit breakers for each circuit, a 20 amp GFCI breaker in between the inverter and transfer switch, and bonded N-G before the transfer switch. The problem with my outlets was because I incorrectly wired the transfer switch. Thus far no problem from the inverter once I joined N-G. I'm just making everything as safe as possible.

I got an email back from them stating that my model is not N-G bonded. They recommend NOT N-G bonding and using a GFCI between the breaker box and inverter if I decide to do so.

I ended up using AFCI+GFCI circuit breakers for each circuit, a 20 amp GFCI breaker in between the inverter and transfer switch, and bonded N-G before the transfer switch. The problem with my outlets was because I incorrectly wired the transfer switch. Thus far no problem from the inverter once I joined N-G. I'm just making everything as safe as possible.
Good information to know, thanks!

Will a GFCI work if there is no ground/earth for the energy to flow to?
I mean will there still be an imbalance between neutral and live/hot if a person touches one or both leads?

Xong i Have same inverter and want to hook /backfeed into panel, no grid connection only backup if power goes down
during michigan winters.

The GFIC 20Amp receptacle has a ground lug do you do anything with that? and also the case ground lug on the inverter do you need to go to
ground rod with that or does the panel ground cover that.

Thanks for any info.

GeoTab

Back