diy solar

diy solar

New 1012LV-MS for our cabin.

Update, after a few Week-ends of normal use, running the inverter during daylight hours and as wanted in the evenings. It appears that my research and this forums help, I was able to size and install a very stable, safe, and usable system. Our cabin is on a north facing slope so we don't see "direct" sunlight until about 11:30cst. But the batteries have been getting back up to a full SOC, and going into float, by that time. Not too bad for LA. We are not even tapping the full potential of the batteries. I have even run the AC for short periods, mostly out of curiosity.

I did experience an anomaly during a nighttime storm, with a lot of high altitude lightning. The panels seemed to kick on and wake up the MPP. I installed a breaker inside the cabin so I can shutdown the panels and prevent this from happening in the future...at least when I am there... and before you ask, I have the panels 75' feet away on a ground mount and bonded to a solid #6 copper wire with a 7' copper rod driven in the ground next to the ground mount. Maybe it took a couple light strikes... but no damage. I am used to having the system wake me up at the crack of dawn, but not at 2 or 3 am in the pitch black.

On a side note for those of you using the MPP's totally off grid, I have a 4300 watt, Cheap, Harbor Freight, non-inverter type generator, which I have tied to the 110 input. I was very tentative about attaching it, because the manual states that an inverter type generator is required. After speaking with Ian, he told me that the MPP's are not as voltage sensitive as they are frequency sensitive. So the work around is to place a load on the generator first, I use a 60W incandescent light, plugged directly into the generator, then kick the breaker on to the MPP. With the MPP in Util mode, the load bypasses the batteries, but still charges... as advertised. I chose not to hard wire the generator into the cabin beyond a dedicated outlet that has a male plug on the outside to attach the gen. Totally not up to code.. but where this cabin is at there is no code enforcement officer, more likely to see a zombie.

Cheers!!! from Iceledo.

Iceledo,

What do you mean that the MPP "wakes up"? And why does it wake you up? (is it the loud beeping noise that Will demonstrated in his videos? If so, I think he found how you can turn that off)

It’s a single beep and the inverter fan momentarily comes on. I sleep through it most of the time so not so loud in a 400 sqft cabin

Reactions: JAS
It’s a single beep and the inverter fan momentarily comes on. I sleep through it most of the time so not so loud in a 400 sqft cabin

Ahh, so I guess when the MPP recognizes a charge input it beeps? Imagine it does the same thing when you plug it into AC too?

It’s a single beep and the inverter fan momentarily comes on. I sleep through it most of the time so not so loud in a 400 sqft cabin. If you have a fix I’m interested.

Ahh, so I guess when the MPP recognizes a charge input it beeps? Imagine it does the same thing when you plug it into AC too?
Don’t know. Only have a generator for ac, and haven’t plugged it in when the system was not already active.

I don't know the fix (without downloading the manual and reading). But, one of Will's videos where he reviewed the MPP, he demonstrated scrolling through the menus and finding the option to silence the beeping. (He said it was driving him crazy and did wake him up one night :)

I don't have the MPP myself, yet... I have a very similar setup to yours: (2) GC2's, currently with a Xantrex 600W Inverter, which is bordeline not big enough for running my chest freezer conversion. I've also been wanting to get an AC charger. So the MPP would kill two birds with one stone

It’s a single beep and the inverter fan momentarily comes on. I sleep through it most of the time so not so loud in a 400 sqft cabin. If you have a fix I’m interested.
Setting # 22 to turn beep off.
Page 21 in manual.

Reactions: JAS
Update: The little MPP 1012LV, Trojan SPRE’s and the Hightech panels are working well. Even on rainy days the batteries are back to full charge and floating by 14:00, that be 2pm for those of you....you know who you are, with the portable fridge running. It is summertime in NA, so I run a small ac unit in the evenings to strip the humidity and cool the cabin for sleep, 3 hours per day geni time... I have run the Ac off of the solar during peak sun, mostly out of curiosity of how the little system would handle the load. 4 hours of run time 4amp load, panels averaging ~15 amps, it drew the batteries down to 11.5 before I started the geni. Didn’t want to test the LV disconnect on the new batteries.

Thank you to the experts on the forum who helped guide me.

Total solar cost breakout:

MPP $325
Panels $300
Batteries $265
Important stuff (wire, breakers, fuses, connectors and hammer crimp tool) ~$250

Just under $1200 US. feeling pretty good about the cost and definitely the results.

Hi there nice setup.
I've got a 1012LV coming and was wondering about a couple things.
Your DC switch and USB panel. Is that connected to 102LV?
I can't find a new manual for this new version and whether it had DC output?
Also your AC distribution panel.
Did you bond the neutral with the green screw?
Its a real dogs breakfast regarding bonding neutrals....
I'll probably start a cat fight here shortly, but, if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
I'm redoing 7 logging camps with these
Yes, Ian I ordered from you.
BTW thanks Ian for your great support of this group.

Dog's breakfast?
Lol.

Bonding neutrals in subpanels off the pips comments have been a controversial topic around here.

In wills videos he connects extensions cords off them. Alot of folks with small cabins use subpanels. So bonding neutrals is an issue for folks who do this and have a grid circuit going into them

Hi there nice setup.
I've got a 1012LV coming and was wondering about a couple things.
Your DC switch and USB panel. Is that connected to 102LV?
I can't find a new manual for this new version and whether it had DC output?
Also your AC distribution panel.
Did you bond the neutral with the green screw?
Its a real dogs breakfast regarding bonding neutrals....
I'll probably start a cat fight here shortly, but, if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
I'm redoing 7 logging camps with these
Yes, Ian I ordered from you.
BTW thanks Ian for your great support of this group.
I have the DC panel connected directly to the battery, the only DC output on the MPP is to the battery. I fed the power through one of the switches so it can be turned off when I leave the place for a few weeks. Yes I could leave it on... and do while I'm there.. running a portable fridge/freezer (54 qt. Iceco). We really don't use much...it is our quiet place so, not much movie watching and no TV. The only music comes from the Yamaha A3R.

As to Bonding the AC distro Panel box... If I had metal conduit runs, then yes I would... but its a metal box attached to wood, which is not part of the circuitry, imho. (Let the big dogs eat)
I do not have the Green Screw installed in my panel. I do have a ground rod and solid #6 going to it from the panel.. Same at the solar ground mount, and at my generator, all isolated. I do bond the neutral to the ground, but do not connect the ground from the generator... think of it as the utility... No ground from the pole, just 2 hots and a neutral. Leaned this the hard way, prior to having solar installed. Wired the cabin just like a house, for 120, ground rod and all connected the generator and immediately the breaker the generator fed to popped. Head scratching... pulled all of the wiring loose and landed hot to find the short...has to be one, somewhere right? Wrong, pulled the ground loose.. works perfectly.

I down loaded the manual from Ian's site.. but the hard copy comes with the MPP and is small enough to sit on top of the unit.

Side note:

Since its not grid connected I run in Utility mode always. When start the generator it will pull from there first an keep charging the batteries... mostly running the AC in the evenings to cool off at bedtime.

Hi,
How is your system doing so far? I am about ready to order one too.
Can you please also provide the link to the Solar panel, the one you put the link shows as Switch assembly.
BTW, did you install any circuit breaker/fuse or any kind of protection form Solar panel to the unit.
I want to put the unit in the kitchen, is it really loud?
Sorry for asking many questions but this wil be my first setup to try out and learn about the Solar system. I hope this unit will be able to run my fridge when I have rolling cutoff in California, my fridge is 6A, so about 720W I just want to be able to run it about 1 Hour a day just to keep food form going bad. One thing I do not see in the user manual is the peak Watt rating, do you know what it is? Thanks in advance.

The system is working flawlessly. I did install breakers.. look back at the start of the thread and you can see them in the pics. https://hightec-solar.business.site, you will find contact information towards the bottom. Call the second number that is Jessie, the owner. Jessie will build to order any panel. Tell him Scott sent you, and reference the forum. Normally the panels ship and deliver the same week. Those folks rock.

Star date 09212020, System Update:

I inadvertently left the 1000W inverter turned on, with no load, for a week. Arriving at ~10:30 pm, after fighting through the spiderwebs (like a scene in Lord of the Rings), unlocking the door, I see an unexpected illumination coming from the SSC. HMMM are the headlights from my truck activating the SSC?.....no dumb ass, you left the inverter on... Batteries are at 12.5 vdc...all well.. Cool, damn thing is working, sweet. Never left the inverter on for more than a few hours at a time and never overnight.. much less for a week.

Would the panels not have been charging as well?
I think the unit uses ~15-20w

Back