diy solar

diy solar

New 12kw install but the numbers don't make sense

Thanks Svetz.
I agree with your thoughts. Maybe more like 2pm rather than midday for peek generation in the specific timezone I am in and exact panel orientation but yeah.. there is an issue with PV1.

Good job catching it. I wonder what percentage of solar installations by contractors don't generate the correct amount of power?

I was thinking the same thing. I mean right now, it's working.. it's generating power.. only those like us who are into Solar as a hobby would likely investigate further. Especially in Australia where solar is very common now and often made exclusively as an economic choice with no interest by the buyer in Solar specifically.

Speaking for the experience in my part of the world most are correctly wired but they still fall below the purchaser's expectations because the seller didn't make the purchaser aware of the full story. Suboptimal angles, insufficient roof space facing north (southern hemisphere), cable and inverter losses etc. The purchaser is usually never aware of it though, they just assume their 3kW system is producing 3kW. It's only when the shortfall is pushed in front of their eyes when their battery system isn't able to offset their power use during the night that it becomes obvious.

I went through the process of pricing up grid interactive solar here but I didn't go anywhere near the high pressure TV advertising crowd. I contacted 2 local reputable seller/installers and they laid out all the facts bare.

This whole thread justifies the entire Enphase product line. Yes I’m in love with them. Sorry this doesn’t help solve your “problem”.

My opinion is your problem is a design error. Strings do not conform to the inverter specs.
Inverter specs say ONE string per MPPT, max 12.5 Amps per string and max Isc 15.6 Amps.

Mars

Edited to add I was looking at the specs on a GW10KT-DT instead of the GW10KL-DT inverter.

Last edited:
This whole thread justifies the entire Enphase product line. Yes I’m in love with them. Sorry this doesn’t help solve your “problem”.
I like Enphase systems because they greatly simplify the design. They are modular so it is easy to match the system size to the energy demands and are easy to expand.

Inverter specs say ONE string per MPPT, max 12.5 Amps per string and max Isc 15.6 Amps.
The GW10KL-DT spec say it has "2 trackers" and "no. of input strings per tracker" is 2. So, that looked okay to me. The Max input current is 22/11 (not sure what that split is about), and the data shows 19 amps on string 1 so presumably working (although the amps on the second string are over 11 at noon, so probably getting clipped).

It looks like I was looking at the specs on a GW10KT-DT instead of the GW10KL-DT inverter.

Thanks Svetz.
I agree with your thoughts. Maybe more like 2pm rather than midday for peek generation in the specific timezone I am in and exact panel orientation but yeah.. there is an issue with PV1.
Did you ever find the problem?

Back