diy solar

diy solar

New 200 amp rated JBD

Just John

Solar Wizard
So glad we are getting BMS units now with self heating on charge. Gonna test these new self heating BMS units on charge. Placement of temp sensor is gonna have a huge impact I feel. Needs to be high on the pack to let the heating soak the cells.

Iv ordered one of these myself. I spoke to the retailer who stated the 2x heat pad outputs are rated for 5a.
I'm assuming a nominal 12v X 5amps = 60 watt for each silicon heat pad?
I have ordered two 12v 50 watts silicon heat pads to stay under the 60w rating.

Last edited:
If you wanted/needed a larger heat pad you could use the 12v 5 amp supplied to trigger a relay, which would let you run any sized heat pad you wanted.

If you properly insulate the battery, 60 watts is over kill. Styrofoam coolers are cheap.

Are the holes in the busbars 6mm?
What is the red black pair of wires beside the temperature probes?
Also what awg are they?
Also what is the pad beside the bluetooth dongle?

Are the holes in the busbars 6mm?
What is the red black pair of wires beside the temperature probes?
Also what awg are they?
Also what is the pad beside the bluetooth dongle?
Looking at the video clip on Aliexpress the square pad next to the bluetooth looks like it's the negative connection to attach the heat pad.
It's marked H- (heat pad negative.

The red and black wires are marked (Discharge Switch Port) but no idea what they do?

Iv ordered one of these myself. I spoke to the retailer who stated the 2x heat pad outputs are rated for 5a.
I'm assuming a nominal 12v X 5amps = 60 watt for each silicon heat pad?
I have ordered two 12v 50 watts silicon heat pads to stay under the 60w rating.
Use a relay to power power the pads and use the BMS output to trigger relay control side.

Ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, took them 2 weeks to ship it.
Lots of BS about not in stock and missed pickups.
The tracking looks to be finally moving, not impressed with the stores service thus far.

Use a relay to power power the pads and use the BMS output to trigger relay control side.
10 to 20 watts is more than adequate. Insulation is cheap, and your battery will last longer. You don't need to power a space heater, the batteries have substantial thermal mass and inertia.

JBD makes a 200-300A bms for 8-20s configurations using a relay as well. I assume you could replace the relay with any arbitrary capacity unit.

JBD makes a 200-300A bms for 8-20s configurations using a relay as well. I assume you could replace the relay with any arbitrary capacity unit.
This is a good point, replace it with a high quality part and run almost any amperage you want. But for a contactor based BMS, I want a separate contactor for charge and discharge. Andy at off grid garage has had problems with one, when it triggers on high voltage, it also disconnects discharge. That can cause a problem.

This is a good point, replace it with a high quality part and run almost any amperage you want. But for a contactor based BMS, I want a separate contactor for charge and discharge. Andy at off grid garage has had problems with one, when it triggers on high voltage, it also disconnects discharge. That can cause a problem.
Good points. I'm sorry if this is an amateur question, but do you guys know of any ~$200 or less BMS that can run separate charge and discharge contactors? It's OK if the contactors aren't included, as I prefer to use my own.

I know that "you get what you pay for" but it's hard for me to justify spending 600$ for a REC or Batrium etc

Good points. I'm sorry if this is an amateur question, but do you guys know of any ~$200 or less BMS that can run separate charge and discharge contactors? It's OK if the contactors aren't included, as I prefer to use my own.

I know that "you get what you pay for" but it's hard for me to justify spending 600$ for a REC or Batrium etc
I haven't used one, but @Steve_S recommends them. Be aware you should consider an automatic pre-charge circuit for preventing contactor point burn if it disconnects the output often (i.e. you routinely run to low voltage disconnect).

Chargery. (FYI, don't go by the estimate Alibaba gives for shipping, just contact Amy and tell her what you need, and how fast you need it, Alibaba shipping estimates are WAY OFF)

Last edited:
A little update.
Had a message from JBD that stated "The heating pad has a power of 100W @ 12V Max 10 A at low temperature"
I have ordered two 10W silicon heat pads that i will place on some foil bubble wrap (under the cells) to spread the heat more evenly under the 4 cells.
I plan to set the heat pads to turn on at 3C and off at 6C, so the cells never get close to 0 degrees.
My battery build is going in my van so the cells will be inside a plywood box and insulation underneath plywood box.

Back