diy solar

diy solar

New 24 volt system to run saws and such

JohnPickett

I am building a new 24v system, because I need 240 VAC to run my well. And I thought that would enable me to run chop saws and compressors we need while we build our house. Ultimately we will be 48 Volt off grid....so I am willing to go there now if needed.

Right now I have the following:

1. 6 300 Watt panels in a 2p3s configuration.
  2. EPEVER 10415AN Solar Charge Controller - This is not lithium compatible - oh crap!! Change course...
  3. Midnite Solar Classic 150V 96Amp solar charge controller
  4. Sigineer Power 3000 Watt 240 VAC inverter.
  5. 302AH at 24V lithium battery with Overkill Solar 100 Amp BMS
The point is to run my RV and well while we build our house and put in six acres of orchard. I want to run a full-size chop saw and compressor for basic carpentry. I also need to run my 240 VAC well with a 1 HP submerged pump.

Will this system comfortably run basic carpentry equipment? Chop saws are huge drains. Should I go 48Volt?

This isn't quite finished, I ran neutral from top to bottom on the left side of the board, it looks awesome....in person...not so much photogenic...

Thanks! I have learned all of this from creeping on your boards, and I really appreciate the education. I literally would not be here without this forum.

Attachments

• Solar Equipment.jpg
    Solar Equipment.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
Should I go 48Volt?
Without even hearing YOUR numbers but having read quite a few threads with needs like you expressed: yes, definitely 48V. And the 3000W number sound absurdly low too, especially with the surge amps most pumps will require.

Start here:

You'll need to come up with real numbers like running amps and surge amps. If you're running while the sun isn't shining you'll need to have watt hours in batteries to handle that and cloudy days. With a good energy audit, the specs for what equipment you need pretty much fall into place.

Yeah....not a good idea to design a system that barely works, if I had said I had a 10,000 watt 48 volt system you would have had to have taken some time to think.

I am way too small.

Back