diy solar

diy solar

New All in One: MPP LVX6048WP (UL certified)

topnotchit

I discovered this coming soon model. It looks pretty great. Split phase, UL certified, 2 PV inputs, water proof.

What I can not tell is the bypass limits to run the load off of utility, if solar is limited and battery depleted. Is it the 30A spec? If so, that seems low. Is it? Or can you tell based on the data sheet how much load can be fed from utility on this model? Would parallel operation increase this?

Thank you.

I’m trying to figure out why the loads can’t take as much as they want-need. Why the grids power for the loads has to go through the inverter at all. If this is a true all in one unit then it should perform like a grid tie inverter would. Grid tie inverter keeps powering loads up to its max output and doesn’t shutoff if loads exceed any amount

I discovered this coming soon model. It looks pretty great. Split phase, UL certified, 2 PV inputs, water proof.

What I can not tell is the bypass limits to run the load off of utility, if solar is limited and battery depleted. Is it the 30A spec? If so, that seems low. Is it? Or can you tell based on the data sheet how much load can be fed from utility on this model? Would parallel operation increase this?

Thank you.

Looks promising and 600v

So bypass means it will take AC power in from the Main panel through the grid (AC charging) input and then out the AC output to the loads. That’s not what im looking for. I want power to go out the grid input to the main panel and if loads need more than the inverters max output the loads would just simply take the extra power they need directly from the grid.

So bypass means it will take AC power in from the Main panel through the grid (AC charging) input and then out the AC output to the loads. That’s not what im looking for. I want power to go out the grid input to the main panel and if loads need more than the inverters max output the loads would just simply take the extra power they need directly from the grid.

Don't most units do that? If it comes with a CT sensor I'd say that it could do just that?

Don't most units do that? If it comes with a CT sensor I'd say that it could do just that?
Most hybrids don’t have the capability of using an external CT. Outback Deye solark Schneider do. I’m leaning towards an outback ATM. Deye doesn’t have a high enough voltage range for my battery.
But we are talking about the lvx6048. Im asking-referring to it being able to push power out to the grid to loads through the grid input that for some inverters is used only to charge the battery from the grid not push power to the grid. If it can push power to the grid (through grid input) then the grid should be able to supply any power the loads need that are above the inverters max ouput and the inverter keeps supplying its full output at the same time. It should be able to do that instead of pulling grid power into the inverter (pass through) to supply offgrid-subpanel loads. If it did pass through then whenever the loads (in main panel or offgrid subpanel ) exceed the inverters max output then the inverter would shutoff and then loads would be completely supplied by the grid until total amount of loads was under the max pass thru amps. inverter doesn’t have to use CTs to allow the grid to supply ANY amount of loads that is above the inverters max output.

Looks like they from the same family as DEYE inverters, specs are similar as is form factor.

Looks like they from the same family as DEYE inverters, specs are similar as is form factor.
As far as I know none of the mpp inverters can use an external CT to do limiting. So they are probably also different from Deye in other ways.

I think the LVX6048 will only pull grid power in through the grid input and then out the AC output. So then the amount of loads the home can have are limited by the inverters max pass through amps when it’s operating in grid tied mode. That means that the inverter will shutoff whenever the pass through amps are exceeded. Maybe someone can let us know if the LVX6048 can push power out to the grids loads through the grid input. I think it’s called a bidirectional grid input.

Correct but the LVX6048WP are a new different class of inverters (ex. LVX6048) than what they are offering now I believe. The technical specs are eerily similar to the DEYE/SunSynk/Sol-Ark line.

Note - MPP is not an orig. manufacture to my knowledge. For most if not all of their products they rebadge the OEM manufacture Voltronic. In this case i "think" they expanded and are using another OEM, DEYE, to expand their offering.

We'll have to wait and see when the manual comes out and/or some folks get one to do a tear down.

Either way I think this is great for the community to have another option that is US spec'd.

EDIT: So I should've at least checked out the Voltronic site to see if they had a similar model to the LVX6048WP.. and they do!
https://voltronicpower.com/en-US/Product/Detail/Infini-VII-WP a manual is listed also but I am awaiting 'approval' to download the doc. to get more details. So my theory about MPP lic. the DEYE version is probably wrong.

Last edited:
Correct but the LVX6048WP are a new different class of inverters (ex. LVX6048) than what they are offering now I believe. The technical specs are eerily similar to the DEYE/SunSynk/Sol-Ark line.

Note - MPP is not an orig. manufacture to my knowledge. For most if not all of their products they rebadge the OEM manufacture Voltronic. In this case i "think" they expanded and are using another OEM, DEYE, to expand their offering.

We'll have to wait and see when the manual comes out and/or some folks get one to do a tear down.

Either way I think this is great for the community to have another option that is US spec'd.
have too agree, they look suspiciously similar to the Deye/SunSynk/Sol-Ark..
if they are , time will tell

I think there's a difference between "UL Compliant" and actual UL approval and being listed.
There is indeed. But there is also no requirement that any device be listed by UL, and, with a few exceptions, there is no NEC requirement that a device be listed at all. It's the easiest way to pass an inspection but that's it.

There is indeed. But there is also no requirement that any device be listed by UL, and, with a few exceptions, there is no NEC requirement that a device be listed at all. It's the easiest way to pass an inspection but that's it.
My Code says 'each componeny must be UL listed and display the ul stamp

What code is that? Some state amendment to the NEC, maybe? It's odd that your reference calls out UL by name as there are many other NRTLs that can also test.
Brunswick County, NC Code of Ordinances
Appendix E: Unified Development Ordinance
Article 5: Permitted Uses
.4 (5.4): Accessory Structures and uses
.11 (5.4.11): Solar Collector (Accessory)
C. Approved Solar Components - Electric solar components must have a UL listing and must be designed with anti-reflective coating(s).

That all is actual writing. Code officer said the UL stamp, like seen on back of any electrical component, will suffice as proof. Im still wondering what 'accessory' means cuz Im going total solar... not a backup to grid.

Thank you.

I understand people's desire to have grid backup but I'm so fed-up with the corrupt electrical code officers where I live. I will do without power when batteries are dead and rainy... or crank generator haha

Brunswick County, NC Code of Ordinances
Appendix E: Unified Development Ordinance
Article 5: Permitted Uses
.4 (5.4): Accessory Structures and uses
.11 (5.4.11): Solar Collector (Accessory)
C. Approved Solar Components - Electric solar components must have a UL listing and must be designed with anti-reflective coating(s).

That all is actual writing. Code officer said the UL stamp, like seen on back of any electrical component, will suffice as proof. Im still wondering what 'accessory' means cuz Im going total solar... not a backup to grid.
That’sa horribly-written ordinance. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I’ve worked in code enforcement and I currently work for a battery-related OEM. Insisting on UL listing is bananas. Listing is OK, but specifying UL is like requiring all citizens to drive GM vehicles. I’m guessing municipalities in NC adopted rules like that as a knee-jerk reaction to the massive utility-scale solar boom there in the mid 2010s.

That’sa horribly-written ordinance. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I’ve worked in code enforcement and I currently work for a battery-related OEM. Insisting on UL listing is bananas. Listing is OK, but specifying UL is like requiring all citizens to drive GM vehicles. I’m guessing municipalities in NC adopted rules like that as a knee-jerk reaction to the massive utility-scale solar boom there in the mid 2010s.
Actually theres a lot about solar concerning commercial property. Gotta dig really deep to find anything about resisential. With this btw, there are lengthy requirements about mounting. Havent crossed that bridge yet... Trying solve UL thing then I expect a BIG fight when I try to void this ordinance cuz it won't be an 'accessory'. It will be primary electric source AND there isnt a word in ordinances here that cover strictly solar.

Now as for wind generation.. Holy cow. A bunch was added cuz im at beach and they started popping up everywhere. Solar seems forgotten.

Im going to check out that UL inverter. Thx

… And many BoS components may not have listings if the NEC doesn’t mention listing being required for that component. It’s too expensive a process to undertake for smaller manufacturers unless there is a clear benefit or regulatory requirement (outside of one nitpicky county in Carolina).

Back