diy solar

diy solar

New at this...78 year old into mountain camping

Waycoop#1

Researching to build one for my popup tent trailer to camp in our Colorado mountains.
4 - HQST-100 Watt 12Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panels
Rich Solar - 40 or 60A mppt charge controller
POWER TECHON 1500W PSW Inverter.
Will be powering necessary lighting at night...Bed time 3.4A CPAP, and 3.7A
Oxygen concentrator.
No frig, or tv...
12v power from 4-12V lead-acid NAPA (I own 2 already) marine batteries (not deep cycle).
Any suggested corrections?
Thank you for the help

In addition to the current, we need to know the voltage.

From what I've found, O2 concentrators can use 300W+ continuously. If that's the case, you're going to need generator or vehicle charging capability. 400W of solar is likely well short of what you need.

Please provide Amps AND Volts. Please provide battery data.

Welcome to forum!
Awesome project, sounds really relaxing ??☀️
CPAP and O2 concentrator are Important Loads to keep running.

Cannot comment on runtime without more info. Any info on power usage of devices? Let’s figure this out!

May I ask more information about O2 concentrator? From reading, some pump air between two volumes filled with zeolite. Very possible to do off grid, and very important to measure and estimate power usage ?

Recommend you get a kilowatt meter to measure your O2 concentrator and CPAP machines.

Need an energy audit in KWH which that meter will do.

Here is a link to a thread

Searching CPAP gives many results.

Welcome to forum!
Awesome project, sounds really relaxing ??☀️
CPAP and O2 concentrator are Important Loads to keep running.

Cannot comment on runtime without more info. Any info on power usage of devices? Let’s figure this out!

May I ask more information about O2 concentrator? From reading, some pump air between two volumes filled with zeolite. Very possible to do off grid, and very important to measure and estimate power usage ?
Thank you...
I will start investigating today after Church.
If I can't find the info on my own, I will call my supplier tomorrow, then
get back with the update.
BTW - I use them only at night while sleeping; during the day I don't need them
as my Oxy concentration remains in the mid 90's.
Thank you again for your considerate reply.

In addition to the current, we need to know the voltage.

From what I've found, O2 concentrators can use 300W+ continuously. If that's the case, you're going to need generator or vehicle charging capability. 400W of solar is likely well short of what you need.

Please provide Amps AND Volts. Please provide battery data.
Thank you for your good advice.
I will research then update you.
I also answered curiouscarbon about the inquiry...

Thank you...
I will start investigating today after Church.
If I can't find the info on my own, I will call my supplier tomorrow, then
get back with the update.
BTW - I use them only at night while sleeping; during the day I don't need them
as my Oxy concentration remains in the mid 90's.
Thank you again for your considerate reply.

Your devices or any attached power bricks may have a sticker on them that lists the operating current and voltage.

Recommend you get a kilowatt meter to measure your O2 concentrator and CPAP machines.

Need an energy audit in KWH which that meter will do.

Here is a link to a thread

Searching CPAP gives many results.
Interesting.
Being new to this technology I can use constructive information.
I will update as to the path I take.
Thank you so much.

Hello everyone,
I will be running these just for sleep time... 6-7 hours at night only.
Don't need the Oxy during the daylight hours.

Specifications for my CPAP and Concentrator machines:

Resmed Airsense 10...CPAP
POWER:
AC Input Range: 90W Power Supply: 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz, 1.0 - 1.5A, Class II
DC Output - 90 W Power Supply: 24V -- 3.75A
Typical Power Consumption: 53W (57VA)
Peak Power Consumption: 104W (108VA)
TECHNICAL
Operating Pressure: 4 - 20 cm H2O (0.2 cm increments)
Sound Level: 26.6 dBA
IEC 60601-1:2005 Classification: Class II (Double Insulation), Type BF, Ingress protection IP22

90W AC Adapter by ResMed
CPAP Power Brick:
AC input: 100-240V ~50-60Hz 1.0-1.5A, 115V~400Hz 1.5A
DC Output: +24V 3.75A
------------------------------------------
Oxygen Concentrator
Rotech Model EF
Electrical Requirements: 120 VAC + 10, –15% (132 VAC/102 VAC),
60 Hz Rated Current Input: 3.4 A
Power Consumption: 280 W (Operating at 3 L/min)

I'm sorry, I know this is a huge amount of information to ask of you.
I just don't want to come up on the short end of the stick.
Abundant thanks and appreciation for your consideration.

Last edited:
DC Output - 90 W Power Supply: 24V -- 3.75A
Typical Power Consumption: 53W (57VA)
Peak Power Consumption: 104W (108VA)
Power Consumption: 280 W (Operating at 3 L/min)
When I see these power requirements, I think 4-8 golf cart batteries, and 950 watts of panels would work.
============
For 8 hours of running, with this there'd be 450 wh - 840 wh of power needed or 38 ah - 78 ah needing a lead Acid battery of 76 ah - 156 ah.

This could be 1 to 2 car sized batteries.

Measuring actual performance with a kilawat meter will get you much batter data to plan from. In the post linked earlier on a CPAP machine, a 22 ah battery was used to power a CPAP. The Kilawatt meter would give much more usable data.

The oxygen concentrator is the same thing, but uses two to three times the batteries using off the label.

So, 4 - 8 Lead Acid golf cart batteries from COSTCO would be able to get you through the night with those devices, but only for 8 hours, and if the O2 concentrator is run longer, than it would take more battery power.

I can reliable charge my 4 golf cart batteries in my RV with 950 watts of panels, but that will vary greatly by area, weather, and season.

One thing to consider is how long are you going to stay at a campsite. If you're moving every day or two you'll be charging your batteries off the car's alternator while you drive, making it a lot easier to keep them topped. When I camp I often spend 7-10 days in one spot, so have to plan on recharging only with solar. I have 4 of the HQST flexi panels, they've been on the camper for several years and have done great, but remember you're not going to get anywhere near 400 watts out of them. My camper has a poptop, I park facing north, pop the top and the angle gives me a huge boost in charging current, if they're flat on the roof you're probably looking at perhaps 200 watts most days.

My loads are just a DC fridge that draws about 30 watts when it's running, LED lights and a laptop at night for entertainment. If it's sunny I have way more power than I need, if it's cloudy for several days I can start to run down. Your loads are a LOT heavier than mine, if you want to run off solar for extended time you're going to need 2-3x the amount of panels and I'd want at least 200 amp hours of battery, preferably more.

Finally, one thing that often gets overlooked is the current the inverter draws when it's not putting out power. They all consume power whenever they're on, some consume lots of power. Generally I'd get one big enough to comfortably run my loads, but not a lot bigger. In your case a 600-750 watt inverter should be plenty and will generally draw less power than a larger one to do it. Something to look at carefully when shopping for an inverter, efficiency and background draw.

Good evening...
Has anyone had any experience with Eastwood PSW Inverters?
They are an American company that seems to have pretty good reviews.
Thank you

Back