diy solar

diy solar

New Basen 280 amps Grade A

OK I'm back to selling what I have left, I'm quoting this morning to some, but to be completely fair this is on a "first pay first serve basis", so if you have asked for a quote and I've given you a quote and you haven't paid me, if someone else comes along and buys what I have left, don't be mad at me! Thank you for understanding.

If everyone who says they are buying batteries from me today do, I'll be sold out. I'll update this as it goes today. I may or may not purchase anymore because the price is now much higher than I paid back at the first of April and the shipping time is awful. If I do, expect the price to go up but that shouldn't really shock anyone look at gas, wood, ammo and so on. Thank you all for working with me, it as been my pleasure to meet some really great people, Mike, Robert and Bryan just to name a few without naming them ;)

Just found a site with some information on the LA and Long Beach ports:
not so bad

If you look at the chart they provide, they say volume is up 2X%, but when you look at the chart from 2016 to now, it just looks like steady growth so I don't see that the backup now is particularly odd, but more than the ports are experiencing normal growth but not keeping up. They talk about how we are spending money on goods vs. services, and I can see that.

Earlier a battery code was posted identifying these batteries as EVE model LF280K and it was said that was the latest version. I am being offered EVE LF280N. Under most circumstances a version "N" would be later than a "K", but not necessarily so. Could the difference be whether they are welded studs like these, or not?

Earlier a battery code was posted identifying these batteries as EVE model LF280K and it was said that was the latest version. I am being offered EVE LF280N. Under most circumstances a version "N" would be later than a "K", but not necessarily so. Could the difference be whether they are welded studs like these, or not?
The N and K have different construction internally. I believe the spec sheets for both are available in the "Resources" section, and the spec sheets should illuminate the differences.

I believe the welded terminals are an optional feature for either cell, or they can be applied by a third party. I could be wrong though ?

The N and K have different construction internally. I believe the spec sheets for both are available in the "Resources" section, and the spec sheets should illuminate the differences.

I believe the welded terminals are an optional feature for either cell, or they can be applied by a third party. I could be wrong though ?
Thanks Robert....without having looked, I am wondering if the distinction is something I would notice and understand. Seems the vendors I have talked to don't talk or care about battery versions.

Thanks Robert....without having looked, I am wondering if the distinction is something I would notice and understand. Seems the vendors I have talked to don't talk or care about battery versions.
I just compared the spec sheets, and in general, the LF280K and LF280N are very similar in most regards. The K model is a few millimeters taller, it's terminals are spaced further apart compared to the N's, and the K also has a slightly more stringent requirements for the rated charging and discharging temperature limits:
Charging Working Temperature for the K model is 0℃~55℃, compared to 0℃~60℃ for the N model.
Discharging Working Temperature -20℃~55℃ for the K model, compared to -30℃~60℃ for the N model.

The only really big difference, which seems to be often repeated on this forum, is the rated cycle life-- 6000 cycles for the K model compared to only 3500 cycles for the N model. HOWEVER-- The cycle life test is performed differently!!!!!! On the N models rating, they use a 1C charge/1C discharge for the test. And on the K model, it's only a 0.5c/0.5c charge and discharge.
They changed the test! It's very likely that if they had used the same testing regimen on both models, the difference in rated cycle life would not be nearly as large.

I feel that a 0.5c/0.5c testing regimen is more sensible for the real world conditions that a solar storage battery is likely to encounter for a lot of the users here. It is certainly closer to my own anticipated performance than the 1c/1c which was previously used.

Also, regarding the welded terminal issue-- The data sheets seem to imply that the cells are manufactured with a plain, flat terminal. I don't know if the welded terminals are being implemented by EVE for some customers or supply lines, or if they are being provided by a third party after the fact. It seems like this is an option that you need to inquire about when you are sourcing the cells if it makes a difference to you.

I just compared the spec sheets, and in general, the LF280K and LF280N are very similar in most regards. The K model is a few millimeters taller, it's terminals are spaced further apart compared to the N's, and the K also has a slightly more stringent requirements for the rated charging and discharging temperature limits:
Charging Working Temperature for the K model is 0℃~55℃, compared to 0℃~60℃ for the N model.
Discharging Working Temperature -20℃~55℃ for the K model, compared to -30℃~60℃ for the N model.

The only really big difference, which seems to be often repeated on this forum, is the rated cycle life-- 6000 cycles for the K model compared to only 3500 cycles for the N model. HOWEVER-- The cycle life test is performed differently!!!!!! On the N models rating, they use a 1C charge/1C discharge for the test. And on the K model, it's only a 0.5c/0.5c charge and discharge.
They changed the test! It's very likely that if they had used the same testing regimen on both models, the difference in rated cycle life would not be nearly as large.

I feel that a 0.5c/0.5c testing regimen is more sensible for the real world conditions that a solar storage battery is likely to encounter for a lot of the users here. It is certainly closer to my own anticipated performance than the 1c/1c which was previously used.

Also, regarding the welded terminal issue-- The data sheets seem to imply that the cells are manufactured with a plain, flat terminal. I don't know if the welded terminals are being implemented by EVE for some customers or supply lines, or if they are being provided by a third party after the fact. It seems like this is an option that you need to inquire about when you are sourcing the cells if it makes a difference to you.
Thanks very much. I appreciate the time you spent doing the comparison as I am thinking you caught differences I would have missed.

I would guess that the factory would make the battery with the 6mm threads, and then for some customers, the stud is put on top. Out of ignorance, I thought they were simply threading a stud into the threads and welding it in place. I found that the stud is connected to an aluminum base and then that is welded to the battery surface.

eve stud.jpg

eve stud 2.jpg

This is to both Robert and Stepandwolf, your technical replies are a thing of beauty and hard work, but shouldn't they be in a part of the forum that people might see them and not in the for sale section? Please don't take that wrong as it was great learning from reading them, I'm just hoping people see them here. Thank you both!

I'm thinking of buying more batteries but I don't expect them until sometime in Nov, price would be $20.00 higher a battery, that's the best price I can find and I'm not sure how well they will sale. This is open to comments and thoughts, thank you.

This is to both Robert and Stepandwolf, your technical replies are a thing of beauty and hard work, but shouldn't they be in a part of the forum that people might see them and not in the for sale section? Please don't take that wrong as it was great learning from reading them, I'm just hoping people see them here. Thank you both!
understand...that is how forum threads go, they wander off. I started a forum topic that has now wandered off from where I started it. It takes someone creating a whole new topic from where the thread has wandered and no one has yet. I think a lot of users, like me, look for "whats new" and notice these threads so I think anything we have posted will be seen if people want to look. I know I have posted on three threads what I found out about the studs because it was relevant to what was being discussed.

Basen is selling batteries directly here in the US for around the same price so there is at least for now an alternative.

Robert, you get a gold star.... I asked the vendor about the difference and you hit it on the head. She said:
"The cycle life of K and N is actually the same. K has 6000 cycles, but it is based on 0.5C discharge, and N has 3500 cycles are based on 1C discharge"

If you pick them up that would save you $35.00 per set, total savings for 4 would be $140.00 If you need any type of service on your batteries I have all the contact info for Basen, warranty issues are handle by them.
Thank you.
Hey bossmav,

I just got around to putting the cells together. The last cell I tested was 0.813v; every other cell was 3.29. I bought them one year ago and they were shipped to you about two years ago. Can I get the warranty information for Basen? I need one cell as soon as possible.

Back