diy solar

diy solar

New Batteries & Batrium BMS

Rocketman

Solar Wizard
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2000 Monaco MotorHome. Last year I installed a 800 watts Solar and put in a bunch of Victron Equipment.

Solar - Monaco.JPG

The batteries needed replaced and at the time I was trying to decide between Lead-Acid, AGM, and Lithium. I really hate dealing with the acid on the batteries (and we had already spent a bunch), so I went with AGM's. We took a trip to Alaska and it worked great!

I took the rig in for the annual maintenance, and they got it done the day before Thanksgiving, I didn't want to deal with moving it that day, because it started to snow, so I asked them if I could pick it up next week. Sure. So on Tuesday I went to pick it up (waited an extra day to make sure roads were nice and clear). When I got there the house batteries were at 4.5 volts (as I remember). With the snow covering the panels, the normal parasitic draws took the batteries way down. I recharged them, and put the Motorhome to bed for the winter (they recharged ok). This spring while testing and using the batteries it became very obvious that the batteries were very damaged by the very low discharge. They still worked and we used them on the trips we did (which were not many due to Covid) but their overall capacity is a LOT lower. Lessons learned - reduce parasitic draws & need low battery cut-offs.

So now its time for new Lithium Batteries... I have ordered 8 Lishen 272Ah batteries and chosen a Batrium BMS.

Batrium layout.JPG

1Batrium BMSBatriumPower 12v 3A Fuse on Pos & Neg - Relays 12v@5A
2ShuntBatriumPower 3A Fuse Positive - Shunt wire to BMS
3BatteriesLishenEight 272Ah Cells 2P4S 544Ah @ 13v (w/4 Blockmon8's on cells)
4Blockmon8BatriumBlockmon8 Qty 4 - one on each SuperCell
5400A Class T FuseBlue Sea 5502Class T Fuse Holder + Fuse +(1 backup fuse)
6Contractor 500AKilovac EV200AAANAKilovac EV200AAANA500 Amp Contractor Relay - Max Inrush 3.7A - Holding 1.7W)
7Pre-ChargeREC-BMSPre Charge Controller 4A Fuse
8Terminal Blocks w/FuseDinRailTerminalBlocks3 Fused Blocks(always on) 5 Fused (switched) + Negatives
92 Relays 10ACZH-LabsFuses (BMS Side) 4A each
10Fans (2)AmazonFuses 5A
11Heating Pad 12"x 18"Amazon-Facon CW-T1221865 watts (Fuse 10A)
12Victron CCGXVictron CCGXNeed Can-Bus Wire ran between BMS & CCGX
13SwitchAmazonFuse 8A
14LED Lights Amazon12" Lights Qty 3 or 4

The BMS will control the Contractor through the Pre-Charge relay. When cooling is needed the Fans will activate, and when heating is needed the heater which will sit under the batteries will turn on. #13 & 14 is just a switch and LED lights to add light when needed into this darker area.

List of Items to do before installing BMS.

1. Modify battery isolator to no alternator charging (later maybe add DC-DC charger if needed).
2. Remove original equipment Solar Charger & 100w panel. Replace with Victron 100/30 mppt & two 200w panels.
3. Install Victron BP-65S (Battery Protect-65 Smart) on 12v house circuits.

Other items to do to improve usability.

4. Rewire ATS (Auto Transfer Switch), so Inverter can run whole rig. (including A/C's)
5. Install SoftStarts on A/C's

If you see anything I have missed or any questions - let me know.

Rocketman

Looks good, check that the EV200 is capable of disconnecting high current both in and out of your battery. Last i checked they were polarity specific contactors.

I’ve seen a few welded shut.

It can disconnect high current out without a problem. In could be a problem..., but the BMS should have instructed everything to shut down well before it goes critical and shuts off the EVE200.

Thank you for this question - this just brought an idea to me that I need to implement. When I want to shutdown the BMS - (for battery maintenance, winterizing, or any other reason), there could be a large charging load. I need to make a checklist that includes shutting down all the mppt's solar panels (and disconnecting shore power) before turning off the BMS.

Yes, it has been disconnecting PV while at high current that has been a problem (ie HVD in BMS triggers while at full charge current)
You can get bidirectional contactors, or as you said use the BMS to stop charge current another way.
I use a SSR on the PV combiner (before the charge controller), that way the charge controller never disconnects from the battery.

One of the reason I went with a Batrium BMS is it will connect to my Victron CCGX. The BMS will tell the CCGX to high charge, low charge or no charge and high discharge ok or no discharge. This way as the battery approaches a danger zone, the charging stops or the discharging stops. There should then be time to correct. if not the bms goes to critical mode and shuts down. I like the idea of the BMS controlling everything, plus being able to trigger cooling and heating, all on settings that I give it.

That's one of the reasons I went with a more expensive bms.

Back