diy solar

diy solar

New Battery on Amazon and Ebay - Global Power 12V100AH LIFEPO4 - $399! Has anybody actually bought one yet? Torn it down yet?

Thanks, it's not beyond me to do something stupid, but I can't imagine what it could be.

Just wanted to give an update on my batteries. I received the balance boards and installed them around March. Since early May we have been cycling my 5 batteries every day and they are working great. I can charg the 4 that make up my 48v bank to 57.7 volts without hitting high voltage cutoff and the single “house” battery to 14.6 before it hits cutoff. Basically they are acting like a normal lifepo4 battery now. I am using these in an rv application so they are discharged fairly gently.

Good news! I put a couple of initial cycles on my batteries this weekend, running lights and outlets in our race trailer all day, and then recharging overnight on the generator (which I needed on for heat & AC). When I get the trailer home in a couple of weeks I'll try to do a controlled test.
Both would recharge to 14.6/14.7v. Seems like the balancers improve things.

Last edited:
I noticed that GlobalPower's eBay store is only showing chargers, but is not listing batteries anymore. Anyone happen to have heard what's up?

I noticed that GlobalPower's eBay store is only showing chargers, but is not listing batteries anymore. Anyone happen to have heard what's up?
His listing had said he was low on stock for some months I assume he sold out.

Buyer Beware...
I had one of these but it never really performed well. I finally tore it apart for further inspection and discovered I got ripped off. Each battery contains 4 packs of 20 IFR32650 3.2V 5000mAh Battery Hookup.com cells. 2 cells in each pack have a green insulator around the anode while the rest are white. The 2 green cells are filled with just air and weight almost nothing. 20230405_130545.jpg

The location of these 2 fake cells in each pack is the same so it looks intentionally done by the manufacture. I also found some 'full' bad cells in a few of the packs. So the total battery capacity with 8 fake cells: 2*5000mah*=10ah-100ah= 90ah battery at best.
I'm not suggesting that all GP batteries were manufactured to cheat us but this one definitely was!

I bought one of these about 1.5 yr ago, Global power sent me another one due to the low capacity of the 1st. Same story as everyone, both of them badly out of balance. I balanced them, got them pretty good & installed them in the van.
I installed them in the van and recently had one go dead unexpectedly. A capacity test showed one at only 34 ah & one at 60 ah. I'm assuming badly out of balance. So I'm shopping for a BMS that will fit inside. Suggestions? Since these cells may be of dubious quality also, I don't want to throw a lot of money at it, so looking for a good value that will do the job. I'm running 2 in parallel if that matters.

I bought one of these about 1.5 yr ago, Global power sent me another one due to the low capacity of the 1st. Same story as everyone, both of them badly out of balance. I balanced them, got them pretty good & installed them in the van.
I installed them in the van and recently had one go dead unexpectedly. A capacity test showed one at only 34 ah & one at 60 ah. I'm assuming badly out of balance. So I'm shopping for a BMS that will fit inside. Suggestions? Since these cells may be of dubious quality also, I don't want to throw a lot of money at it, so looking for a good value that will do the job. I'm running 2 in parallel if that matters.

Man, after reading through not the whole thread but only the last 6 or 7 (especially the one demonstrating he was ripped off with fake cells inside), I would not want to waste my time or money on this. Could be a dumpster fire waiting to happen, who knows what other shortcuts or poor workmanship is going on inside? Have you opened it up and thoroughly tested each cell, wiring, etc? Did they use CCA wire? I mean if you have a spare BMS laying around that will fit this application, go for it, but I wouldn't want to spend waste any more money on one of these.

Man, after reading through not the whole thread but only the last 6 or 7 (especially the one demonstrating he was ripped off with fake cells inside), I would not want to waste my time or money on this. Could be a dumpster fire waiting to happen, who knows what other shortcuts or poor workmanship is going on inside? Have you opened it up and thoroughly tested each cell, wiring, etc? Did they use CCA wire? I mean if you have a spare BMS laying around that will fit this application, go for it, but I wouldn't want to spend waste any more money on one of these.
I use 5 of these batteries, 4 in series in a 48 volt system, and a 5th for the 12volt side of an RV. I have used these pretty steady for a few years. The seller supplied me with passive balancers for each battery and they tested at near capacity once balanced. I would not recommend them as their are much better options now but they have served me well for several years in a low amp draw application (72 amps max continuous but usually under 20 amps )

That's good to know. I contacted the seller to see if he has any of those BMS's. Have you done a capacity test or pulled them down fairly low since then?

That's good to know. I contacted the seller to see if he has any of those BMS's. Have you done a capacity test or pulled them down fairly low since then?
I have not done a capacity test recently we are using the system continuously right now and it would be rather inconvenient. The device he sent me was a passive balancer that connects to the bms.

Energy storage is getting hotter and hotter, leading to fiercer market competition. We can't guarantee that all the batteries we buy are good cells, but it's best not to be cheap.

Hello all, I bought one of these batteries in March 2022 and it is having issues charging and discharging, it behaves like it has no capacity at all. I've tried reaching out to the seller on ebay for some resolution but I am getting no response. Is there another way to message the company for warranty?

As a last resort, is there a way to salvage the working cells of the battery?

Hello all, I bought one of these batteries in March 2022 and it is having issues charging and discharging, it behaves like it has no capacity at all. I've tried reaching out to the seller on ebay for some resolution but I am getting no response. Is there another way to message the company for warranty?

As a last resort, is there a way to salvage the working cells of the battery?
Remove the top and manually balance the cells. They are bad about losing balance. The seller was offering add in balance boards for a while, don't know if he still is. I'll pm you his email address

I have a set of 3 of these batteries in a golf cart, one of them will not hold a charge, I can charge it to 13.7 volts and it drops to 9.9 after less than an hour. I messaged him on Ebay and have not heard back.

How can I check to see if the battery can be saved?
The top unscrews and everything inside looks good, nice and clean.

if you're electrically handy check the parallel cell voltages, (small 5 wire connector on bms) there are 4 parallel strings wired in series all 4 should read around the same voltage, they are probably severely out of balance. should meter out something like
wire 1-2=3.3v 2-3=3.3v 3-4=3.3v 4-5=3.3v but it'll probably look more like 1-2=2.0 2-3=3.4 3-4=3.4 4-5=3.0 if this is the case you can add an active balancer and leave the battery on a trickle charge until all the cells equalize out.

Thank you for the info,
I will look into it. Yes I am electrically and mechanically handy, just all this new battery technology is unfamiliar.

Looks like I have a dead cell, voltage reading from the plug pins to the BMS are: 0 - 3.1v - 6.3v- 9.7v

Looks like I will have to replace the set with something better.

Back