diy solar

diy solar

New battery says High rate GEL AGM

kchelius

ordered new batteries, they say High rate GEL AGM. Its a Mighty Max ML100-12 GEL
Mighty Max Battery 12V 100AH Gel Battery

On the side of the battery it asks for 14.5 to 14.9v and 13.8 float. Just a little confused on the charge voltage i need. Can someone shine a little light on the battery and charging voltage for me.

Thanks.

Bulk/absorption/boost voltage is between 14.5 and 14.9. 14.5 = longer battery life, 14.9 = shorter charging times. Once absorption stage is completed battery is floated at 13.8.

If this battery is being used cyclically, ie what most of us would use it for, you do normal bulk/absorb/float charging.

If this battery is used for standby, think security alarms or any situation where it is basically never used, charging at 13.8 is all that is required.

Bulk/absorption/boost voltage is between 14.5 and 14.9. 14.5 = longer battery life, 14.9 = shorter charging times. Once absorption stage is completed battery is floated at 13.8.

If this battery is being used cyclically, ie what most of us would use it for, you do normal bulk/absorb/float charging.

If this battery is used for standby, think security alarms or any situation where it is basically never used, charging at 13.8 is all that is required.

My solar controllers SLA profile has 14.4 and 13.8, so i went with that. Yes cyclically, bulk/absorb/float charging.

Check that the SLA profile matches what ever your hybrid battery says regarding equalisation charging. If the specs for the battery do not mention equalisation charging, you should turn it off in the charger. If you can't you should think about another charger. I'm assuing its a hybrid AGM/GEL battery. If it's purely gel you must absolutely not do an equalisation charge.

Check that the SLA profile matches what ever your hybrid battery says regarding equalisation charging. If the specs for the battery do not mention equalisation charging, you should turn it off in the charger. If you can't you should think about another charger. I'm assuing its a hybrid AGM/GEL battery. If it's purely gel you must absolutely not do an equalization charge.
my controller has standby, CC, CV, CF modes for the SLA profile. I see nothing for equalization. I am new to solar so i dont know for sure but i dont think so.

Caution: interested propeller head caught this and bought a version for myself to check out...

I'd be interested to see how yours are doing now.

My instinct tells me that even though this is a hybrid, GEL seems to be predominant, and as such if you find poor cycle life, consider reducing that CV voltage to 14.1.

I was so intrigued, that I ordered a very small Motorcycle starter version, with clear-cased top! I'm not interested in cycling it, but it was too cool for this ol' battery nerd to pass up. :) Should be here in a couple of days for testing and see if I can make rice-crispies at typical agm voltages.

I found a few good articles and the actual patent from the inventor back in 2003. But there's a catch!

The first article about it that I ran across was this:

Ok, fine. Now let's look up that patent filed by the inventor:

I got through much of it, but I'm not a material scientist. Many improvements are mentioned, (agm construction allows for a lower IR, gel has higher heat tolerance- less electrolyte stratification, etc etc) but I don't see any mention that this hybrid gel / agm battery should in fact use agm charging CV's!

The only one that does say that, is the article from energyunlimited where they say the charge profile should be the same as agm simply because the SG being somewhat similar with the gelled electrolyte vs the more classic liquid electrolyte absorbed in the mat.

My experience with gel - even in this hybrid form, means a little bit of care, and not equating it to AGM, which has been the bane (or objective of salesman!) for decades.

I see a trend too out there in consumer land with reviews. Although many can be contributed to end-user error, or real manufacturer faults, my *suspicion* is that these hybrids are being burned up with agm CV voltages just like they have been doing for the last 30 years or more with devices that expected real agm's, and their chargers not dropped in CV to accomodate gel properly. Ie, the "It worked for a week, and then quit!" :)

When mine comes in, I'll see if I can get it to talk. :)

Update: I noticed that Renogy's hybrids seems to specify a cycling cv voltage of 14.2-14.4v. That seems more realistic to me, although I'd be tempted to stick to the low end until tested. A few tenths of a volt too high on gel can be drastic. The skeptic in me sees that spec, and thinks that maybe it was set just a smidge high to get to 14.4v so that users don't feel like they have to buy gel-specific chargers and use an agm charger that only goes to 14.4. See what I mean? It's a nightmare out there.

Sorry gang - I've been battling the gel/agm fiasco for sooooo long...

Last edited:
Got my Mighty Max high-rate Gel -starter- in today. Very cute. Maybe pics later.

How about a MUCH more accurate manual on how to treat GEL's that I've relied on for years and not just for toys like this little starter.

From East-Penn / Deka

Specificially take a look at the GEL graph on PAGE 11. (Don't mix up with the agm graph also there!)

Run back to Page 4. See how quickly when you deviate say from the nominal 14.1v max CV at 68F, the degradation occurs!

All this means is that if you are impatient with a gel, you are going to smoke it. But now with the proper CV, that may mean for solar using Gel, a longer time to reach CV, stay there, and drop to float to avoid sulfation.

Back