diy solar

diy solar

New Battleborn not charging

Bryan3300

I purchased 2 Battleborn BB10012 batteries a few months ago. When I received them I hooked them up to my Ctek LIFEPo charger and I noticed one of them would only repeatedly charge to stage 4 and then back to 1. The other battery charged normally from. I waited until I got my solar system installed at our camp this week and hooked it up to our MPPT. The battery in question rapidly cycles between 12.8 and 15.5 volts when charging on the MPPT. The other battery charged fine from 13.2 to 14.4V. I even hooked up a lead acid to the MPPT just to be sure and it charged normally as well. The BB in question is currently at 12.8 volts without a charge. Anyone else seen this or have any suggestions.

14.7 is high voltage disconnect.
Have you called Battle Born to make a warranty claim?
Please let us know what happens.

No haven’t called yet, calling tomorrow.
I have one 100Ah for almost a year.
I would have called them months ago. Did you save your battery box?
I think you have to pay to mail it back under the warranty.
I don't think that is fair if your battery was defective when first received.

I have one 100Ah for almost a year.
I would have called them months ago. Did you save your battery box?
I think you have to pay to mail it back under the warranty.
I don't think that is fair if your battery was defective when first received.
I probably should have called when I noticed it cycling on the CTek charger but I wasn’t real sure, thought maybe it was just fully charged. It wasn’t until I saw the voltage rapidly fluxating on the MPPT yesterday that I knew there was an issue. I threw a volt meter on the battery to confirm. Then when I saw the other battery was charging normally, I knew I had an issue. Yesterday was the first time I’ve used them. I don’t have the box, but I did save the rest of the packaging fortunately.

How did it work out?
So I had to call back yesterday, was out of town and didn’t have the battery in front of me when I called on Monday. So I placed a load on the battery for a few hours to see if it made a difference when I charged it. It did not. I tried 3 different chargers and the battery will not accept a charge. So Battleborn is going to pay for return shipping and troubleshoot the battery. I am assuming there is an issue with the battery management system.

Hello everyone. My Battleborn BB10012 went into low voltage disconnect and didn't take a charge since then. I have tried with different chargers from NOCO genius 7A charger to Telwin Dynamic 520. I even put it in parallel to another Battleborn BB10012 and charged it with my Conext MPPT60, no joy. What can I do?

Hello everyone. My Battleborn BB10012 went into low voltage disconnect and didn't take a charge since then. I have tried with different chargers from NOCO genius 7A charger to Telwin Dynamic 520. I even put it in parallel to another Battleborn BB10012 and charged it with my Conext MPPT60, no joy. What can I do?
Maybe call Battle Born and ask them? :)
Warranty?

Maybe call Battle Born and ask them? :)
Warranty?
I contacted them, they however don't want to do anything as regards warranty because I didn't buy the battery directly from them. The battery came preinstalled in my portal cabin. I am considering opening the battery and attempting to charge the cells individually. Anyone has any idea?

I contacted them, they however don't want to do anything as regards warranty because I didn't buy the battery directly from them. The battery came preinstalled in my portal cabin. I am considering opening the battery and attempting to charge the cells individually. Anyone has any idea?
What is the voltage of the battery now?
How long was it at that voltage?
There are 120 cylinderical batteries in a BB in 4 banks of 30.

What is the voltage of the battery now?
How long was it at that voltage?
There are 120 cylinderical batteries in a BB in 4 banks of 30.
The resting voltage is 13.11v.
It has been at that stage for about 2 weeks.
What is the voltage of each bank?

The resting voltage is 13.11v.
It has been at that stage for about 2 weeks.
What is the voltage of each bank?
13V is not low voltage disconnect so I am confused.
Why wont it charge?
LVD is under 10V
Each bank is 3.2V nominal so in series is 12.8V

Me too. As soon as I apply a load, voltage drops to ~1.8v. When load is removed, it goes back to ~13.11v. If I charge it for three days, nothing changes. I have seen some other people complain on Amazon, I may not be alone. Anyone with a solution please?
13V is not low voltage disconnect so I am confused.
Why wont it charge?
LVD is under 10V
Each bank is 3.2V nominal so in series is 12.8V
o

Me too. As soon as I apply a load, voltage drops to ~1.8v. When load is removed, it goes back to ~13.11v. If I charge it for three days, nothing changes. I have seen some other people complain on Amazon, I may not be alone. Anyone with a solution please?
Sounds like the BMS is defective so needs to be replaced.
Even if your BB is not under warranty they should be able to give you a hopefully reasonable price to fix it.

Take a look at Will Prowse's infamous BB break down Youtube video to see how they are constructed and how to cut open.

Sounds like the BMS is defective so needs to be replaced.
Even if your BB is not under warranty they should be able to give you a hopefully reasonable price to fix it.

Take a look at Will Prowse's infamous BB break down Youtube video to see how they are constructed and how to cut open.
Thank you Forbisher for your help. I asked to get a BMS from Battleborn but was told they do not sell it because of proprietary issues. Do you have an idea where I can get a BMS that can fit properly? I am kinda disappointed by BB going by their lack of support so far. This "advanced" BMS should do its job but no. How can they hide under non-transferable warranty to deny warranty for a battery that is clearly under warranty? That is kinda shady.

After a lot of back and forth with Battleborn without any help whatsoever, I finally cut it open and applied a load of 60w to the cells directly. That somehow reset the BMS and the battery is now working. You may want to try this if you have this problem. The BMS was also made in China, anyone knows the manufacturer of this BMS?

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_142914.jpg
    IMG_20210227_142914.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 19
Back