diy solar

diy solar

New bench power supply

I know you're already invested a lot into the PSU, but I'd consider a clamp meter or other means of measuring current as well as OCV at the cells.

And that's not a charger. It's a power supply.
Is it even cc/cv?

Analogous to a 12V battery charger refusing to charge a battery that's been deeply discharged into the single digits. The just aren't designed to operate at that low a voltage.
Good to know. Never had that problem with a power supply. Had the opposite, a 13 volt LFP pack on a 30 volt power supply. It went way over the rated Amps of the PS.

Is it cc/cv?
How big are the terminals on it?
As in how big a wire can you easily connect to it.

It's definitely CV, but it has limited CC function.

Terminals are kinda small, but there are 3 of each. I suspect you could easily get 3 10awg wires in there.

If you google the part number, you can get the full data sheet that usually includes dimensions.

Is it cc/cv?
How big are the terminals on it?
As in how big a wire can you easily connect to it.

The specs say Built-in constant current limiting circuit

Maast used 4 guage cable with his.

Features
Universal AC input / Full range
Withstand 300VAC surge input for 5 seconds
Built-in active PFC function
Protections: Short circuit / Overload / Over voltage /Over temperature
Built-in constant current limiting circuit
Built-in remote sense function
Built-in DC OK signal
No load power consumption<0.5W (HRPG-300 / 450)
No load power consumption<0.75W (HRPG-600)
Built-in remote ON/OFF control & 5V / 0.3A standby output (HRPG series)
Built-in current sharing (HRPG-600-24 / 36 / 48)
Forced air cooling by built-in DC fan
1U low profile (HRP-300 / 450)
100% full load burn-in test
5 years warranty
1602101664342.png

The "built in constant current limiting circuit" is what provides a limited voltage range of operation.

Again, this probably isn't an issue when talking 3.2 vs. 3.6V, but at higher voltages, it might be. One could deal with it easily by adjusting the voltage down to wherever it will operate

The "built in constant current limiting circuit" is what provides a limited voltage range of operation.

Again, this probably isn't an issue when talking 3.2 vs. 3.6V, but at higher voltages, it might be. One could deal with it easily by adjusting the voltage down to wherever it will operate
Sorry, didn't quite follow that.

Referring to the posted information.

This is a CV supply intended to operate at up to 120A at the set voltage.

The output voltage of this supply is adjustable from 2.8 to 3.8V.

It has limited provisions for operating at below the set voltage.

If those limitations manifest themselves by the PSU shutting down, one can dial down the set voltage.

This is a common issue on their higher voltage units, but it probably won't matter with such a narrow operating range (3.2-3.6V).

I probably shouldn't have said anything :)

Referring to the posted information.

This is a CV supply intended to operate at up to 120A at the set voltage.

The output voltage of this supply is adjustable from 2.8 to 3.8V.

It has limited provisions for operating at below the set voltage.

If those limitations manifest themselves by the PSU shutting down, one can dial down the set voltage.

This is a common issue on their higher voltage units, but it probably won't matter with such a narrow operating range (3.2-3.6V).

I probably shouldn't have said anything :)
Is the amperage adjustable?

No, but it will only deliver what is accepted.
Yeah but I would rather charge my brand new cell at 0.2c.
I know 120 amps is within spec so its very likely just me being overly cautious.

It is sad that I buy this stuff without understanding how to use it or what it does. But I have to start somewhere.
I read through 100s of threads and see things other people are using and I think "I better order one of those"

It is sad that I buy this stuff without understanding how to use it or what it does. But I have to start somewhere.
I read through 100s of threads and see things other people are using and I think "I better order one of those"
I made a test setup with a 30 amp hour lithium ion battery.
The concepts are very similar at small scale.
Learned a ton.

I made a test setup with a 30 amp hour lithium ion battery.
The concepts are very similar at small scale.
Learned a ton.
That was my reasoning for buying the power supplies. I plan to put together a 12V and 24V batteries.
It's not 30 amp hour but it is better than just assembling 48V batteries and connecting them.
I am planning to buy a BMS that will work for 4S 8S and 16S. I figured that would be a good way to get used to the BMS and be safer charging my batteries.
I am working with an electrician who will be checking my work when I connect to the charge controller. But he knows less about batteries than I do.

Maast used the 60A version. I guess I could play it safe with new cells and always charge 2 at a time?
Personally I would much rather do one at time.
Even better is to have a coloumb counter.
I wonder how it will handle a lifepo4 cell that is discharged to 2.5 volts.

Personally I would much rather do one at time.
Even better is to have a coloumb counter.
I wonder how it will handle a lifepo4 cell that is discharged to 2.5 volts.
I would rather do one at a time too. This one was $140 delivered and it just arrived. I could buy the 60A version too. I hear you can use them together for 180A. lol Or I could probably return the 120A version.
I will look into the coloumb counter.
From looking through the other thread, I think it will work when the cell is at 2.5.

I would rather do one at a time too. This one was $140 delivered and it just arrived. I could buy the 60A version too. I hear you can use them together for 180A. lol Or I could probably return the 120A version.
I will look into the coloumb counter.
From looking through the other thread, I think it will work when the cell is at 2.5.
I'd very interested to know how that works.
full cycle testing individual cells before making packs is the way to go imho.

Back