diy solar

diy solar

New Bluetti AC300 -- DIY version designs here.

PopDBop

The much anticipated Bluetti AC300 is now officially out. It's probably the best overall design for a SolGen system for serious power delivery by any major player, at least IMHO.

Will has posted his review here...

And HoboTech has posted his here...

So, what can we come up with that will rival this monster system? Can we really come up with something that will provide the same functionality with at least a much capacity for less money with off-the-shelf available components? HoboTech expressed his doubts. But I say it can be done, and throw down the gauntlet to the forum to crowdsource a design.

I see a 2 phase approach: First, design the single unit AC300 analog with add-on battery bank capabilities. Then once we have that, work on the the multi-unit parallel design.

What say you all? Let's get the ball rolling and start spit-balling some ideas here.

Last edited:
The quick answer to your question is the MPP LVX6048. With some exceptions (solar input the big one) the LVX6048 can do what it requires two AC300’s to do (6000w output, 120 and 240). The LVX6048 does this at about half the initial sale price of the two AC300 without batteries. Of course that doesn’t give you all the gizmos of the AC300 but it goes a long way and outlets are not that hard to add. http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/LVX6048.pdf

That said the initial sale price of the B300 batteries (48v 60ah) seems quite competitive.

Also Bluetti is offering a four year warranty. Although I always wonder how these 50-80lb products get repaired.

Although the 6048 has serious weight to consider… didn’t Will say they were over 150#?

Yup, I was just going to edit my post. I was thinking about the battery boxes he reviewed.

So, the 6048 has TWICE the output of the ac300, and it is nearly twice the weight… has no usb, or ac outlets, so it would need to be altered with additional hardware… it does have better MPPT specs, and wouldn’t take much to build modules to use it as an ac300 killer.

Get a generator twist lock connector and a breakout box, and some milk crate batteries and you have far more than the ac300 could dream of.

LVX6048 Is $1600 at Watt247. AC300 isn’t sold separately but the batteries are. So subtraction leads us to an AC300 price of, at best (prices have already gone up) $1300. With the exception of solar input it takes two AC300 to match a LVX6048 so $2600.

For someone with basic technical knowledge you’ve got $1000 right there for an AC300 killer.

That said I think the AC300 could be a big breakthrough in that it makes utilizing serious solar power so easily accessible to a novice.

What say you all? Let's get the ball rolling and start spit-balling some ideas here.

Done deal.

Growatt 3000: $790
EG4 48v 5kwh battery: $1500
Wiring: $100
Plywood and other stuff: $50

More power than the Bluetti AC200 Max. Twice the storage of the Bluetti AC300 with single battery.

Less price.

Easily upgrade-able.

Much more easily repairable.

Last edited:
The only thing these options don’t have is easy plug and play operation.

It takes an hour (or less if you are good at stripping wire) to plug and play the pieces together (in the simplest form possible).

In his earliest videos, Will didn't bother with mounting to concrete board and pre-charging the capacitors on the controllers with a resistor (although this video has a switchable battery):

Someone should create a video that mounts a growatt and a battery in a box in the simplest form possible. You could probably do it in 40 gallon industrial tote:

Although it probably makes more sense to use type of cabinet if you insulate it properly. The growatt needs air flow. So maybe mount it to top of a cabinet.

Last edited:
Done deal.

More power than the Bluetti AC200 Max. Twice the storage of the Bluetti AC300 with single battery.

Less price.

Easily upgrade-able.

Much more easily repairable.
Cool. I'm evaluating this setup now. THanks.

Cool. I'm evaluating this setup now. THanks.

This guy has a fun build. It could be simplified without the breaker box and his DIY battery.

It's awesome the obvious pride that he takes in his creation:

Last edited:
Done deal.

So, you're referring to this Growattt 48V model: SPF 3000TL LVM 48P

I think for flexibility of use in various applications (RV/Boat/Tiny Home/Emergency backup) I'd go with the 24V version, the SPF 3000TL LVM 24P, just so I can more easily series together *2* 12V batts instead of 4 in emergency situations.

Back