diy solar

diy solar

NEW Bluetti Sodium Ion Battery Power Units

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
Last edited:
Interesting indeed
I love the fact that the material is comparatively ubiquitous, which has implications for sourcing, which will hopefully compare favorably considering lithiums’ geopolitical, human exploitation and possible health aspects.
But whether it can be made to have the same or better energy density, operational temperatures, and cycling characteristics remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Will this type of battery have similar shipping restrictions as lithium ion and lifepo4? If not, it will soon take over

Perhaps, but not if Sodium Ion doesn’t do all of the folowing as well or better than LifeP04:
1) Performance/energy density
2) Charge/discharge temp ranges
3) form factor
4) life cycle /degradation

I really hope it does surpass LifeP04, if not now, sometime soon.

Spelling errors still. I do not understand how this still happens. Oh, same mistake with solar input.

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 040 - NA300 Sodium Ion Power Station – BluettiPower - www.bluettipower.com.png
    FireShot Capture 040 - NA300 Sodium Ion Power Station – BluettiPower - www.bluettipower.com.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 35
3000 Wh solar input? ?
Yeah Bluetti and others marketing to the US really need an english as 1st language proofreader, that also knows the power unit/solar subject to catch snafus like ” 3000wh solar input” mentioned above.
And marketing that actually makes sense and is based in reality would be nice…

I started a thread about Sodium Ion cells and CATL is the inventor/manufacturer. Glad to see something coming of this and hopefully we can learn more.
Interesting video/promo, given the energy/mass disadvantage Sodium Ion has compared to Lithium, I’m surprised Bluetti has chosen to market a Sodium based portable energy device. It seems like Sodium is so far much better suited to home or commercial energy storage. But it’s great that they are trying this. Looking forward to Will reviewing the Bleutti when available. I really hope it’s a win.

Wondering if there will come a time when a lithium based system like the Bluetti AC200Max / Titan/ Ecoflow or similar can use a sodium based aux battery. Mix and match so to speak. Maybe someday.
It would likely require very smart system controls, and be error/idiot proof (if there is actually such a thing).
And imagine being able to expand your existing grid tied/off grid system with batteries that are half the cost of lithium, or less, and take less of a toll on the earth.

It amazes me that these companies sell millions of dollars worth of these batteries, and can't hire somebody just to look over the marketing material. The amount of spelling errors is insane.

Edit: I had a spelling error in this post haha!

Last edited:
It amazes me that these companies sell millions of dollars worth of these batteries, I can't hire somebody just to look over the marketing material. The amount of spelling errors is insane.
I agree.
Even if NOT selling millions of dollars...
There have also been a number of marketing pics and videos that show or suggest unrealistic use scenarios.
There was also incorrect product pics (AC200Max<>AC300 swapped) on a Christmas sale email product link I clicked on, looks like they fixed it now.

Last edited:
Bluetti previewed the new Sodium Ion power unit and battery on Jan 5th at the Las Vegas CES show.
It’s interesting there have been no pre sale marketing emails to prior customers on the NA300, and its compatible battery module B480. At least not to me anyway.

Also previewed was the new AC500 (aka APEX), and another entry level (288wh) product in the EB3A (?).

The AC500 seems interesting, though I’m dissapointed it’s not an all in one like the AC200MAX, and requires a separate battery setup like the AC300. I’m guessing due to weight considerations.
This is very space inefficient, and imnsho they are blowing it not making the units modular as in latched/stacked/secured together like the Titan or similar designs I’ve seen.
Smaller footprint please!

PS
Will, I’m looking forward to your review of the first 2 units and their battery systems! ?

Last edited:
What is the newest update on the sodium batteries? Does look like USA will have any mfgr? Who are the top mfgr? Does anyone know about a battery group partnered by ? ( Prof. Meng is a materials scientist at the University of California, San Diego. She’s the founding Director of the Sustainable Power and Energy Center. And a Mr. Pesaran is the Chief Energy Storage Engineer at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) .) I read an interesting article but no details it was investor pump ad. Discription of batteries sounded great.

I have seen exactly nothing since their original announcements.
Surprisingly not one mention in the marketing emails I receive from Bluetti either, the latest of which (yesterday) featured their new 350w folding solar panel for (!) $699 after $100 “discount.”
Noticeable is the claimed 23.4% conversion rate. ?

Last edited:
They haven't even mentioned it to me either since the announcement. I wonder if they have a manufacturing line built yet. I would not be surprised if they wanted to show off a potential product for show, then cancel it.

Surprising.
I would think it’s likely not manufactured yet, or working out the bugs, or maybe there just wasn’t a lot of interest due to Sodium Ion having lower energy density vs LifeP04?
Or a combination of above.

Either way I think it is somewhat exciting to see another chemistry being experimented with.
It would be great to see it come to fruition and be a viable option, especially since Sodium is plentiful just about everywhere.
We wouldn’t have to be at the mercy of countries that have what we want.
It may also be more environmentally friendly, less carbon footprint to mine, less distance to point of manufacturing etc.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how the sodium batteries compare to lithium ion batteries

Back