diy solar

diy solar

New Build Advice

NLCabinSolar

Hi all, I've got a little experience in building simple solar power systems but I'm stepping it up a notch for our family cabin. I want to make sure I have everything covered as shipping to my location takes forever and costs a fortune so I want to order the bulk of my equipment at one time.

I have 4 solar panels, CS1h-330MS. These will be wired in series to 48v and then in parallel to the charge controller.
ELECTRICAL DATA | STC*
CS1H 330MS
Nominal Max. Power (Pmax) 330 W
Opt. Operating Voltage (Vmp) 37.0 V
Opt. Operating Current (Imp) 8.92 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 44.2 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 9.68 A
Module Efficiency 19.6%
Operating Temperature -40°C ~ +85°C
Max. System Voltage 1500V (IEC) or 1000V (IEC/UL)
Module Fire Performance TYPE 1 (UL 1703) or
CLASS C (IEC 61730)
Max. Series Fuse Rating 16 A
Application Classification Class A
Power Tolerance
* Under Standard Test Conditions (STC) of irradiance of 1000 W/m2, spectrum AM 1.5 and cell temperature of 25°C.

TEMPERATURE CHARACTERISTICS
Specification Data
Temperature Coefficient (Pmax) -0.37 % / °C
Temperature Coefficient (Voc) -0.29 % / °C
Temperature Coefficient (Isc) 0.05 % / °C
Nominal Module Operating Temperature 43±3 °C

I am planning on buying the following:
Victron 150/45 Charge Controller
Victron 48 volt 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger (Not sure of model).
Midnight Solar Combiner Box and breakers (What size breakers, 15A?)
BMV-712 Battery Monitor
Fancy Aluminum Roof mount system for a wood and shingle roof, unless you all have a better suggestion.
GX Touch 50 or 70 so I can outdo my close friend and his black and white lcd :) I'll need this to be about 30 feet from the solar hardware though. (I think I also need the Cerbo GX with this? This is no internet connectivity at the cabin)

If anyone could offer guidance on the equipment selection I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm also wondering about grounding the system. The electrician that wired my cabin grounded the AC wiring to an 8 foot copper grounding rod. Should this solar equipment all be grounded to the same rod?

Thanks in advance!

1320W of solar on a 48V system only requires about 25A of charge current so the 150/45 is a lot more than needed. You could easily use the 150/35 but the 150/45 would allow you to double the solar array in the future if needed.
I have 4 solar panels, CS1h-330MS. These will be wired in series to 48v and then in parallel to the charge controller.
What do you mean by "wired in series to 48V"? The panels have a Voc of 44.2V. Two in series is 88.4V. The 150V SCC allows you to put the 4 panels in 2S2P.

What is the coldest temperature you will ever possibly see at the cabin? If it will never get below about -4ºF/-20ºC then you could get away with a 100V SCC instead of the 150V.

With only 4 panels in 2S2P you do not need a combiner box or breakers/fuses. Though it can be helpful to have a PV disconnect breaker near the SCC.

I think there is a 10m (33') limit for VE.Direct cables so your need to run 30' from the SCC to the GX is borderline.

The GX Touch does require a Cerbo GX. All the Victron stuff connects to the Cerbo GX. The screen also connects to the Cerbo GX.

I am considering the 150/35 but I like the option to add panels. The price difference might be the deciding factor.

I meant 2S2P.

We get a few night a years at -20 or colder. This includes the mornings with typically bright sunshine. Would it be worth the risk to go with a 100V SCC? Would it even be risky?

I want the combiner box and breakers as a disconnect and for a bit of added safety.

Thanks for the help so far!

If you get temperatures that low I wouldn’t risk the 100V controller.

If you can find panels with a Voc of 42.0V or lower then the 100V controller could work at those temperatures.

If you get temperatures that low I wouldn’t risk the 100V controller.

If you can find panels with a Voc of 42.0V or lower then the 100V controller could work at those temperatures.
I already own the panels. 150V it is then.

Back