diy solar

diy solar

New calb cell swelling

Stephen s

My brand new calb 3.2 v,180 ah batteries purchased from bls show some swelling straight out of the box (1/8"on the sides.). Each cell is uniform in slight swelling and has 3.26 v charge. No capacity test yet.
I assume this is a bad sign and am prepared to return the batteries regardless of what a capacity test would show. The question is: is slight swelling acceptable in a new battery, or any swelling at all unacceptable?

I have a bunch of old and abused 40Ah CALB cells that were used in an aftermarket plug-in-prius application. I also have one that completely died as a result of deep discharge and one that vented due to inadvertent short circuit for a couple seconds.

NONE of them have any swelling.

Battery is to Human ... as .... SWELLING is to INTERNAL BLEEDING ....

Just me speaking - but I personally have never seen a swelling/bloated battery survive and/or play-well-with-other-batteries ... time to contact seller ... I would tell them that it was like this coming out of the box ... otherwise you are going to get into a pissing contest of "who shot paul" (I have no idea what that means by the way) ....

You were seen. You shot paul. op. sounds like you got someone else's error. maybe seller over charged while balancing.

Just in case my point wasn't clear... document with photos and insist on immediate replacement. :)

Thanks for your replies. I'll be sending these back. We'll see how that goes over!

Back