diy solar

diy solar

New calb cells came without screw holes!

Start with a small drill bit, and work up to the size needed by the fastener.
Well you got your refund but you still have the cells? You going to tap them or have them welded? If you tap them do not follow the above. Those instructions are the exact way to have a bit snag the base material which you dont want.

High drill speed, drill press with depth stop, dill it in one pass. Drill size for the tapped hole you want. Everyone keeps talking about metric however if your doing it yourself just pick something that is easy to get instead of metric. picking the fine thread variants of 5/16 or 1/4" would be a better choice for the soft aluminum.

I got stuck with the same deal on some 280's. I'm bringing them to a machine shop & have some pro's do it. From info I've gathered, drill depth should be 6mm, 8mm & you're into the batt guts. This is a question we need to ask all vendors if they are tapped, otherwise it just mucks up the works of getting them put together & running.

I got stuck with the same deal on some 280's. I'm bringing them to a machine shop & have some pro's do it. From info I've gathered, drill depth should be 6mm, 8mm & you're into the batt guts. This is a question we need to ask all vendors if they are tapped, otherwise it just mucks up the works of getting them put together & running.

Mine seemed deeper than 6 mm, but I didn't measure the depth.

If I had to tap my own, I would be planning for 8 mm fasteners, not the 6 mm (diameter) that many of them come with.

Back