diy solar

diy solar

New calb cells came without screw holes!

Chinese/Aliexpress supply really good DIY/Hobby parts.
Look, now you got machining hobby and stud welding hobby!

If stud welding "gun" fits to the terminal it should be pretty easy to weld studs on the terminals. Some equipment rental companies might have stud welders for rent. Or buy yet another project from alibaba, they are only about 1000usd :ROFLMAO:

And contrary to common beliefs aluminium can be soldered but I don't think it is a good idea in this case.

I thought about the Idea of welding male studs on the terminals but wouldn't the heat damage the cells?
I believe so. The plastic around the terminal would probably melt. The only risk free way would be to find a stud with a flange and have it laser welded as shown in this video. Thanks to fission for posting the video in another thread.

Thanks for the helpful tips. If I end up stuck with my $1000 in cells, I may do that. Yes I have done that type of work, using a bottoming tap.
There is no way I would accept being stuck with cells I received that way. The Alibaba link I am looking at clearly shows the terminals tapped. You were misled and received a product you can not use. Dispute it with Trade Assurance. If that fails then contact your CC company and let them take care of it. You have enough supporting evidence. You received busbars and screws and you can not use them. You received cells and you can not use them.

2020 New Version CALB L173F163 3.2V 163ah 150ah 200ah 230ah lifepo4 battery cell with Aluminum shell 4000 cycles, View winston cells, CALB Product Details from Hunan AUK New Energy Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Hello , I am new here, and just received 8 cells from Hunan AUK New Energy Co. They got to Florida quickly and according to the seller they are brand new design 163 AH calb cells. They are grade A cells. Checked the voltage , identical on all cells. But they did not come with screw holes, so I cannot connect them!
I could be mistaken but, aren't CALB cells plastic encased cells? :unsure:
You are both correct and mistaken :) CALB's two most ubiquitous models are plastic cased (SE series and CA series), but they also produce the CALB CAM series which is an aluminum cased cell, and then a very new model (as in new in 2021) of aluminum cased cell. From the small bit I've heard, these are designed to be laser welded (seems to be an increasing trend (the new version of EVE is the same)).
Unlikely . They will be factory rejects . They didn't pass some requirement so were sold off as rejects . That's why they have not been completed . The laser welding they refer to is more likely to be the connection of the alloy and copper tabs inside the cell to the bottom of the alloy terminal. Maybe not but that's my guess.
I know, but I haven't seen any CALB cell with those terminals. The one's I've seen have all fully round terminals, which is slightly higher than the square base they are on, or without a square base.
The ones from TS do look more like CATL. And from CATL I know they are factory-delivered without any threads/studs, just as he received them.
I haven't seen CALB cells 'in the wild' without any of those.
As mentioned above, there is a new model of CALB cell being rolled out in 2021. From what I've heard (third hand at best, but from a source I have some faith in) they will only be offered from the factory with untapped terminals for laser welding, possibly because they are targeting the EV market. I know of a 163 Ah model, there are likely other sizes.

That said, I have not seen verifiably authentic images, so I can't say what they look like exactly. And I do agree with @DJSmiley the pictured cells do have some commonalities to with CATL cells (the two diagonal tabs 180* apart on the terminals, the blue ring around the vent cap, however one difference is on the CATL cells I've seen the QR code is on the side of the black terminal which is not the case on the cells pictured here). None of these visual clues are conclusive in my eyes, CATL cells especially differ somewhat based on model, and the new line of CALB cell is not well known or widely available yet.

Edit: images in the OP do match the drawing from the datasheet:
Screenshot_2021-01-11 2020 New Version CALB L173F163 3 2V 163ah 150ah 200ah 230ah lifepo4 batt...png
1610435093143.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe so. The plastic around the terminal would probably melt. The only risk free way would be to find a stud with a flange and have it laser welded as shown in this video. Thanks to fission for posting the video in another thread.

There is no way I would accept being stuck with cells I received that way. The Alibaba link I am looking at clearly shows the terminals tapped. You were misled and received a product you can not use. Dispute it with Trade Assurance. If that fails then contact your CC company and let them take care of it. You have enough supporting evidence. You received busbars and screws and you can not use them. You received cells and you can not use them.

2020 New Version CALB L173F163 3.2V 163ah 150ah 200ah 230ah lifepo4 battery cell with Aluminum shell 4000 cycles, View winston cells, CALB Product Details from Hunan AUK New Energy Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
If that is the product listing, not only do they not show untapped terminals on the cells, but they show at least 5 visually different cells in one product listing... :(

If they explicitly indicated the terminals would be tapped and they are not, I think you are clearly entitled to a refund, replacement, or some other remedy. If the pictures are the only evidence and it is not in writing, Its still totally unacceptable but also not quite as strong case.

If that is the product listing, not only do they not show untapped terminals on the cells, but they show at least 5 visually different cells in one product listing... :(
Right, showing various cells in one product listing is not uncommon. I agree I do not like suppliers that present their sales pages with a bunch of garbage. The listing states :
2020 New Version CALB L173F163 3.2V 163ah 150ah 200ah 230ah lifepo4 battery cell with Aluminum shell 4000 cycles.

But in the product overview it states:
Product name: CALB 163AH battery
If they explicitly indicated the terminals would be tapped and they are not, I think you are clearly entitled to a refund, replacement, or some other remedy. If the pictures are the only evidence and it is not in writing, Its still totally unacceptable but also not quite as strong case.
I would go so far as to say they failed to inform him the terminals would come untapped and by failing to provide him with that information the supplier misled him. Total failure on the suppliers part. Trade ASSurance may not agree, but his CC company might. Either way I would fight for what's right if it was me. I hate it when suppliers pull this crap.

That could have been me or someone else purchasing these cells. One always believes the cell terminals will come tapped....until now. I don't recall anything like this happening before.

Reactions: Dzl
From the attached product specs:
Prismatic Lithium Ion Battery:
Model: L173F163

Page 9

9.3 禁止直接焊接电池和用钉子或其它利器刺穿电池。
Do not directly solder the cell or pierce it with a nail or other sharp object

Page 19

9.9 采用激光焊接机进行连接操作。
Laser-beam welding machine is used to connect terminals

Off Topic - Page 18 (bottom)

The blue insulating films, which wrapped over the metal shell batteries, can only provide insulation for the cell transportation. The films can’t provide the stable insulation protections for battery modules. The additional insulation protection measures should be added to the surface of cells according to the usage conditions, when the cells are used as modules or systems. Otherwise fire may occur. We suggest to use plastic, PC, PET, Rubber and foaming PU,etc to be the insulation protection material. Please contact our company for more information.

Reactions: Dzl
That could have been me or someone else purchasing these cells. One always believes the cell terminals will come tapped....until now. I don't recall anything like this happening before.

Agree. This is a rather new 'development'. EVE was the most used here, which came with threads.
Lishen followed recently, also with the same M6 thread.

Most 100/105Ah cells are with M4 threads. And now, some 'new' brands appear. So it's easy to mistakely assume they are with threads also, which clearly isn't default.
So unless a seller clearly specifies this, or the buyer fully reads and understand the datasheet, it is a matter of time before people start complaining about this.
Sellers with good customer support, and good knowledge of customers demands, do understand this and inform people. But a lot of sellers on Alibaba are just packaging and shipping, and are NOT used to individuals, and more into businesses who have the proper equipment and buy many cells.

I've received a quote from Amy (Luyuan) for CATL cells. On the pictures she supplied I didn't see any threads. When asked, her reply was:
"CATL has no thread when it comes out from the manufacturer. We need to drill holes. Its holes will be the same as EVE's"

since it looks more vendors starting to sell cells without any thread or studs, it becomes something you have to pay attention to when ordering.
You're depending on the seller to drill threads or weld studs, or you need to have the proper equipment to DIY it (unlikely/risky).

There is a pretty nice topic with lots of usefull information about ordering, I think it was made by @ghostwriter66 but I can't find it ATM.
Might be nice to add a small item about terminals, studs and threads, since buyers have to be aware of this.

I think some more ppl would be unhappy when finding out their cells don't have threads/studs, and its a matter of time before more topics appear here about this issue.

I agree with basically everything said in the comments above. Only thing I would add is this situation is one more reminder that this is a market where due diligence is definitely the responsibility of the buyer to a much larger extent than most of us are used to, especially when buying from a lesser known seller, especially when buying a new or lesser known cell model. That said, I think most of us would not have thought to ask about the cell terminals, I likely wouldn't have if I hadn't already heard this was the case with the new generation CALB cells. The seller may assume buyers know what they are purchasing, but at the very least they should have accurate pictures, and if they don't they certainly should be explicitly warning people the pictures are not accurate and the cells are untapped.

An FYI which is obviously not commonly known.
Most factory shipments of cells are without Tapped Threads and vendors have to have this done , most do subcontract it out.
Laser Welded Studs are not the norm because it costs more than to just tap the holes and provide bolts / screws.
CATL, EVE, CALB etc as manufacturers do not know what the end use will be and how interconnections will be done. Depending on target market, those requirements vary.

There is lot's of Potsulation, Theorization & Conjecture in here... even conclusions drawn on unfounded assumptions (99.99% fail there).

Did this Vendor Mess Up ? YES but was it intentional ? not likely.
Miscommunication via Translator Software is COMMON because it really sucks on subtleties ! The bane of many a Customer & Vendor. Clarity & being to the point is very important.

Something else to note, if a Vendor gets cells direct from a manufacturer, they will NOT be tapped, they will have blanks. A Manufacturer will do so for Large Contracted buys (1,000's of cells at a time).
If a Vendor buys from a "Broker" they could be new or old stock, a prepared stock that was unsold, or used / recycled stocks.

Within the 12 months, Lithium Batteries with various chemistries will be appearing made from Recovered & Recycled Lithium materials from used cells. This is happening in China, Canada, USA (Soon) and Europe with several recycling plants coming online. There are already some going into circulation but not main stream yet.

There is lot's of Potsulation, Theorization & Conjecture in here... even conclusions drawn on unfounded assumptions (99.99% fail there).

Within the 12 months, Lithium Batteries with various chemistries will be appearing made from Recovered & Recycled Lithium materials from used cells. This is happening in China, Canada, USA (Soon) and Europe with several recycling plants coming online. There are already some going into circulation but not main stream yet.
Were does this information come from?

1) I am financially invested into TWO recycling Companies, you may have heard that Eastman Kodak Factory in NYS is being recycled into a Lithiun Battery Recycling & Processing centre. News | Lithium-ion Battery Recycling - Resourcre Recovery | Li-Cycle (li-cycle.com)

2) NorthVolt, LG, Panasonic have all announced their Euro Operations will include recycling facilities. LG & Panasonic also said similar for USA.

3) Several Chinese Companies are already doing so with certain limitations at this time....

You can practice your google foo for more.

An FYI which is obviously not commonly known.
Most factory shipments of cells are without Tapped Threads and vendors have to have this done , most do subcontract it out.
Laser Welded Studs are not the norm because it costs more than to just tap the holes and provide bolts / screws.
CATL, EVE, CALB etc as manufacturers do not know what the end use will be and how interconnections will be done. Depending on target market, those requirements vary.
I don't doubt this is true in many cases, particularly with companies like CATL and other large commodity manufacturers that deal mostly with other large and medium businesses, but at least with regards to CALB, my understanding is that this is the first (or possibly second) mainstream model that is not available tapped and threaded from the factory.

In regards to EVE, I honestly don't know what their process is, what I do know is the previous version 280Ah cell (LF280) was at least available from the manufacturer tapped w/ hardware (through their Alibaba storefront), the current model LF280N is only available through their storefront with the untapped terminal for laser welding, though they did state they could tap the terminals by special order not sure what the MOQ would be or what the fee would be.

Did this Vendor Mess Up ? YES but was it intentional ? not likely.
I agree that it is not necessarily intentional. But whether it was intentional or not resellers can/should do better at accurately representing their product. Using inaccurate pictures or showing the wrong cells is a widespread practice, as is stating a bunch of conflicting info in the title or description to game the search algorithm. One thing that needs improving almost across the board is accurate and non-conflicting info in sales ads on alibaba / aliexpress.

eBay and Amazon included nut shenanigans get caught quite fast there. I'm not the only one to have bought something on those two platforms and received something not quite as advertised.
Is shubin a naughty word?

Ok here are some close ups of the QR code and some serial numbers on the calb cells can anyone verify these are Calb brand based on the numbers ? U used my iPhone and it does not recognise the QR code. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 31
Ok here are some close ups of the QR code and some serial numbers on the calb cells can anyone verify these are Calb brand based on the numbers ? U used my iPhone and it does not recognise the QR code. Maybe I am doing something wrong?
This forum autoresizes images to a format that makes it hard to make out detail.
A closeup of one of the QR codes or a larger image hosted off site would make it easier to see.

It would certainly make it easier to read schematics and diagrams if the limit were relaxed a bit. So its a change I would welcome.
On the other hand, hosting larger images offsite is not a huge inconvenience.

No, but offsite images are less reliable. Lots of hosts expire their uploaded images rather shortly, randomly stop, hosting is cancelled by user and so on. Beeing able to host within the forum gives much more reliable hosting, expecially if someone is looking for resources and finds some older posts. Nothing is more annoying than a very interesting post, but non-working pictures / schematics.

Only disadvantage is it requires more diskspace and bandwith, potentially requiring Will to spend more $$$ on hosting. But nowadays that's not the biggest cost anymore.

From a user perspective, it's just convenient to be able to upload/paste images directly. If hosting costs is a concern, I know some other forums who allow eg 50Mb by each user, and up to eg 1Gb for each donating user, to generate some money to cover the hosting.

Back