diy solar

diy solar

New calb cells came without screw holes!

I upload a lot of images...
Found that uploading at 1024x1024 size goes fine BUT only IF it is posted as a ThumbNail in the post that opens to full size.
I resize larger images down to 1024x1024, I do not recall trying a larger format.

Form a FORUM Software Perspective.
These images are stored as BLOBS in the SQLDB and that has to be limited.
1024x1024 JPG is 1.5mb
It does not take very long to stuff a DB with blob data such as images and it will grow significantly.
Different DB Engines can handle such data differently. This is likely using MySql or MariaDB which aren't bad at it.
Larger Datablobs become problematic serving out if the traffic is high... This site already stresses occassionally.

Attachments are stored on the file system, including images - not as blobs in the db.
Ohh thank goodness. Blob Handling is such a PITA !
We had to mod stuff to store large data blobs externally as well...
We also discovered how to crush DB's with huge blobs...
(virtual World software development with personal (user) "inventory / assets" that had to be stored.)

OK I cropped the image and resized. Hopefully this works?

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
I believe this is not a QR code but rather a numbering system used by the manufacturer for its own purposes not disclosed.
Usually the code obtained from the image is the number you see above and below the pixel block.

We can increase it a tad. If we bog down the servers, it will slow it down. I can upgrade our package to allow for more speed if need be, but it might cost a bit more. We can try it.

Not sure if you guys can tell, but the site is growing everyday. Check out the traffic for 2020:
1610770470839_1610770457531_vcvc.jpg

I want to ensure that it does not cost too much in the future. I pay for this site 100%, no corporate involvement of any kind. And I will keep this site going till the day I die, and let someone manage it there after. If the sites hosting fees were to cost too much, I would probably downsize the photos first. But we can try it. The server is dirt cheap but I know that this site has potential to grow like crazy in the next decade.

And the hosting provider says it has "unlimited" stats, but as the space used on our server increases, they stated it could slow down. Then I'd pay more to speed it up.

I did increase it by quite a bit to see how fast it grows. It is at 35Mb now

Last edited:
I believe this is not a QR code
I was able to read the code on my EVE cells purchased in May with a QR code reader and the numbers read corresponded to the numbers around the border. There are other threads that interprete those codes with date of manufacture and other data besides just the serial number.

I was able to read the code on my EVE cells purchased in May with a QR code reader and the numbers read corresponded to the numbers around the border. There are other threads that interprete those codes with date of manufacture and other data besides just the serial number.
Can you give any links to how the numbers might be interpreted further?

Can you give any links to how the numbers might be interpreted further?
There is a lot that is still vague/not fully understood, but for a start:

For CALB (unclear whether any of this info would apply to the new model)
1593470253955.png

1593470304558.png

For EVE LF280N (page 5-9ish)
https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/eve-jpg.23773/

Notice how the EVE spec is different than numbers the one on the cell in this post? My EVE cells have numbers at right angles not top and bottom.

SO does any one know where to laser weld the battery studs? the factory says you just need a simple welding machine..... right. from all the videos I see laser welding is the only way. but where to find it?? In Florida, locally no one knows of laser welding.

SO does any one know where to laser weld the battery studs? the factory says you just need a simple welding machine..... right. from all the videos I see laser welding is the only way. but where to find it?? In Florida, locally no one knows of laser welding.
I know less than zero about laser welding but I've heard it is not cheap or easy at a small scale.

Your best luck is at a company who does aluminum framing and construction. The equipment is expensive, so not anyone has them.

If you find such a company, they might have one, or know another one who has. However, I don't think they are really happy with someone only wanting to weld some studs, so you need to have some luck. For most of them, it's not a cost-effective job, so it all depends if they are 'happy to help' or don't have time.

A regular aluminium welder will work, but you don't have any batteries left... You need to clamp a GND somewhere, and there is almost no space on the terminal to do so. Also, regular welding is way too hot, so it will damage the cell.

Laser welding works pretty similar, but it has 2 advantages:
- No need to connect a GND to let the current flow (if you dont have space eg on a terminal)
- Much lesser heat: It's only concentrated on the point where you want it, instead of heating the whole terminal. Also, since it's so concentraded, the welding time will be much shorter (it heats up faster due to concentrated heat), thus heating the whole terminal is minimal, thus not damaging the cell.

Last edited:
A proper mount is also needed for laser welding. I don't think laser welding a traditional stud to the cell terminal would work very well. If a proper mount with stud can't be located then the only other option would be to laser weld busbars to the terminals. The pack would have to be mounted in a fixture.

Maybe contact the manufacturer of the cells and ask what the terminal depth is. With that information tapping would be possible and probably cheaper. A machine shop should be able to do it if they have all the specs.

A proper mount is also needed for laser welding. I don't think laser welding a traditional stud to the cell terminal would work very well. If a proper mount with stud can't be located then the only other option would be to laser weld busbars to the terminals. The pack would have to be mounted in a fixture.

Maybe contact the manufacturer of the cells and ask what the terminal depth is. With that information tapping would be possible and probably cheaper. A machine shop should be able to do it if they have all the specs.
YEs I agree. I have asked multiple times for the post depth or how deep I can drill, but they continue to insist in NO DRILLING. For anyone future reference, these new calb 163 AH batteries, the posts are 1/2" diameter. I am escalating the dispute and decided to send the batteries back. Unless there is someone in the US who wants to buy these. They all are at 3.241 - 3.239 volts, 8 cells. What frustrates me is that I have no way to capacity test them until I can connect them.

April 13 update. Well the nightmare is over. As of April 12 2021 I received my full refund. It took from January to April with the dispute, with the vendor slowly playing me by offering $350, $450, then $800, then $1000, Then $1150, with days of waiting for responses from either the trade Assurance manager or the vendor, Hunan AUK New Energy Co., Ltd.. They were polite, but they knew how to play the game. My biggest frustration is that Alibaba becomes a negotiator rather than protecting the buyer. Finally Alibaba decided to issue the full refund. Lessons learned.

It is not a QR code in post #45.
It is a Data Matrix.
Essily decoded using s bstcode scanner on my Android phone. The free app I used is called "Barcode Scanner" by Cognex.

April 13 update. Well the nightmare is over. As of April 12 2021 I received my full refund. It took from January to April with the dispute, with the vendor slowly playing me by offering $350, $450, then $800, then $1000, Then $1150, with days of waiting for responses from either the trade Assurance manager or the vendor, Hunan AUK New Energy Co., Ltd.. They were polite, but they knew how to play the game. My biggest frustration is that Alibaba becomes a negotiator rather than protecting the buyer. Finally Alibaba decided to issue the full refund. Lessons learned.
yes alibaba sucks and thier buyer protection is worthless.... they wont even follow up on the refund..... i had a similar prob with this same company... shipped me cells without the studs i requested.... they offered partial refund which i never got and alibaba claims was sent... but i never received the credit... cant even speak to a real person.......

Hunan AUK New Energy Co., Ltd. is very unreliable and should not be trusted to ship what you ordered.... they sent me pics of what they wre shipping said these are your cells.. and then i got something different and heard... oh sorry we were out... those were really not your cells....

Back