diy solar

diy solar

New charge controller charges batteries to 100% then stops charging, even in full sun.

Riddy

Hello Will I'm sure this just a programming problem but I need help. I've upgraded from 2 pmw charge controllers to 2 EP Ever Tracer 5415 AN
Right now it charges up to 100% then it stops charging for the rest of the day even in full sun. I have a 48 volt system with 16 6 volt batteries at 225 amp hr. My panels are 250 watt at 9 amps. I have 12 of these in pairs of 6. Each panel is a 24 volt and they are paired up to make 48 volts total. There are two circuit each carrying up to 30 amps. to each controller. My old pmw controller would charge batteries to 100% and keep it there all day. Not this new set up, it will charge batteries to 100% then quits. I would like the chargers to get to 100% and stay there all day or until the sun goes down.
I would sure appreciate any help you could provide for me. Thank you
Sincerely
Riddy

When you say 'quits' do you mean the tracer stops supplying any current at all and the battery voltage falls throughout the rest of the day, down below the Tracer's float voltage setting?

What battery type preset did you start with? Sealed, Gel, etc. Have you made any changes to the configuration of the device or just left it on the preset?

When you say 'quits' do you mean the tracer stops supplying any current at all and the battery voltage falls throughout the rest of the day, down below the Tracer's float voltage setting?

What battery type preset did you start with? Sealed, Gel, etc. Have you made any changes to the configuration of the device or just left it on the preset?
The controller indicates its suppling power but the batteries continue to discharge. Ive tried using the default setting for flooded lead acid and the user setting not sure what im doing I only make changes of 1 volt or less and cross my fingers. The batteries are good I've checked each bank individually.

What voltage do you see your battery fall to, ie the voltage from end to end where you have a nominal 48V.

I'm not sure at this point but I'll watch it. Right now it's at 100 % and the voltage says 57 volts so I don't think I'm at float yet.

Ignore that the SCC says 100%. That's just a dumb voltage based SOC measurement and is essentially meaningless unless the battery is not being discharged / charged and hasn't been for several hours which it obviously hasn't since we have a charger connected, ie the SCC itself.

Ignore that the SCC says 100%. That's just a dumb voltage based SOC measurement and is essentially meaningless unless the battery is not being discharged / charged and hasn't been for several hours which it obviously hasn't since we have a charger connected, ie the SCC itself.
THANKS I think you might be right about that. I noticed the indicator on the Mt 50 bounces up and down. Ill watch it through out the day and see what's up. My SOC meter has never been totally balls on but it was good ball park with the pwm controller and I'm an new with the MPPT controller can't say I have a full understanding of it yet. Can you give me any kind of parameters for this?

I'm guessing your PWM controllers are the cheapie (even if sold for a lot) Chinese PWM controllers. They are well known for abusing batteries but they do actually charge them. What you may be seeing with the PWM controllers is they simply hold your battery at higher than desirable voltages regardless of their actual state of charge while the MPPT controller does a proper bulk / absorb / float / equalise cycle.

Once you check the voltages on the battery across the day that'll give a better idea of what is going on with your charging problem.

Hey Gnuble the state of charge meter was way off and gave me false readings. After watching the mppt charge controlers all seem good. Any chance you might know how put this into equalize?

Not sure what you are asking there Riddy, do you want to know how to get the tracer to do an equalisation charge? It's normally done automatically depending on how you configure it. The sealed default does it every 30 days I think. Are your batteries AGMs? If so you really shouldn't equalise them automatically.

Hello Gnuble or anyone who can help,

Well lets try to keep this simple as possible as I'm so confused. I have a 48 volt system with 8, 6 volt batteries @ 225 Ahr
My pannels are divided in two circuits, 6 panels are 250 watt go to one controller and the other set of panels are 310 watt and go to the second controller. What I need to know is how to fill in the following blanks or questions marks for best battery longevity please! I need help.
Control parameters
A. Over volt disconnect ???
Charge volt limit ???
B. Over voltage reconnect ???
Equalize charge ???
C. Boost charge ???
Float charge ???
D. Boost reconnect ???
Low voltage reconnect ???
E. Under voltage reconnect ???
Under voltage warning ???
F. Low voltage disconnect ???
Discharge limit ???
G. Equalize time ???
Boost time ???
What is a boost charge? Is it the same as bulk? Or absorb? And no matter how I figure it they are still missing one of the charge states either bulk or absorb?

Boost is absorption.

When it comes to particular voltages etc you should pay attention to what your batteries state. If you look at the batteries there may be charging voltages on the case, float and cyclic. If not, see if you can locate the information by visiting the manufacturer's web site or Google searching. Once you know the voltages, post them here then someone can advise you on the settings.

Back