diy solar

diy solar

New Chins 100ah Lifepo4 battery teardown

BV2

I purchased 2 Chins 100ah batteries from Amazon and tore them open hoping to find the prismatic cells that I saw in Will's teardown video. Much to my surprise, and not a great surprise, mine was loaded with pouch cells. The assembly was well put together, and super clean. Also, way less silicone than the Zooms battery I tore apart a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_6588.pdf
    18.7 MB · Views: 507
That does not look like the same size format of the Chins/Zooms/Jita 100ah batterys. Does the battery shape not match this picture?
1646795153139.png

Last edited:
Hmm, disappointing they just completely change stuff inside and sell under the same part. But that's the cheap Chinese amazon way. Cant say if it matters or not but my experience with the small 3.7v LiPo pouch batterys is they swell up, but that's a different chemistry. So now im worried because I got a couple Amazon Jita 300ah battery's on the way. Im not gonna open them though.

Last edited:
well I just ordered a 100ah Chins Smart battery. hopefully I didn't get screwed, but it hasn't even come in yet.

Wow that is totally a chins, thank you for posting that. I just opened up 2X more clones yesterday morning and they did not have pouch cells. Of the 8 or so packs I have reviewed, they have been identical. Those pouch cells will probably work just as good as the prismatic cells. What is the part number on them? They are mounted really nicely. I was scared it was going to be a mess of tape and glue. But that packs looks the same if not better than the prismatic ones.

Wow that is totally a chins, thank you for posting that. I just opened up 2X more clones yesterday morning and they did not have pouch cells. Of the 8 or so packs I have reviewed, they have been identical. Those pouch cells will probably work just as good as the prismatic cells. What is the part number on them? They are mounted really nicely. I was scared it was going to be a mess of tape and glue. But that packs looks the same if not better than the prismatic ones.
To be honest with you Will I don't trust any of your reviews where the company sends you a battery to review. Especially if they are a direct china supplier. They can easily send you a battery that is assembled with care and pride that well exceeds capacity and then sell complete junk. You are VERY popular and the sales from your reviews go through the roof.. Now the ones where you say I purchased this with my own money I do trust your review on those and most of the time it seems like they are not a good battery and you don't recommend. Anyways love your videos and keep up the good work..

To be honest with you Will I don't trust any of your reviews where the company sends you a battery to review. Especially if they are a direct china supplier. They can easily send you a battery that is assembled with care and pride that well exceeds capacity and then sell complete junk. You are VERY popular and the sales from your reviews go through the roof.. Now the ones where you say I purchased this with my own money I do trust your review on those and most of the time it seems like they are not a good battery and you don't recommend. Anyways love your videos and keep up the good work..
Yeah that is why I bought them to begin with. Have you seen those chins/ampere time/zoom battery reviews, I bought every single one of them. The ones I ripped apart are the first ones that they sent me. Everything before that (which was a stack of them), I used my own money and bought them from amazon warehouse so I was getting exactly what you got. This must be a new change. I want to ask them about it, what is your order number and exactly where did you buy it from?

I'll see if I can get a part number of the pouch cells. I am disappointed they were not prismatic, mostly because of the box I intended to put them in, however, the build quality is not lacking whatsoever. Additionally, it caused me to go back and buy two more Zooms (for an extra 100 bux over the price a month ago) that I had not planned on buying, and now I hope they are similar to the first two Zooms. Note to self: next project that requires Lifepo4 batteries, order all that you need at once. I tried to spread out the spend a little and got bit.

some additional pics. No visible part numbers except on the BMS. The thin foam on each side may be covering other info, but I'm not gonna mess with taking that off. Weight is 19 lbs without the ABS plastic case and 23 lbs with the case. Actually, it weighs the same as the Zooms battery with prismatic cells.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 238
  • Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 247
some additional pics. No visible part numbers except on the BMS. The thin foam on each side may be covering other info, but I'm not gonna mess with taking that off. Weight is 19 lbs without the ABS plastic case and 23 lbs with the case. Actually, it weighs the same as the Zooms battery with prismatic cells.
Wow, that looks great. I love those bus bars. Have you done a capacity test?

Really bizarre that they used pouch cells. Everything else is identical to a typical chins.

Wow, that looks great. I love those bus bars. Have you done a capacity test?

Really bizarre that they used pouch cells. Everything else is identical to a typical chins.
What are the disadvantages of the pouch cells versus the prismatic?

What are the disadvantages of the pouch cells versus the prismatic?
Pouch cells and cylindrical is fine. The big problem is if they are lower quality than the previous cells they use in their packs. The original prismatics are some of the lowest quality around, so these pouch cells may be an upgrade. Usually pouch cells are lighter but you need to hold them in a proper case, which these look to be fixated in. If they weren't, that would be a huge red flag and I'd make a video in the next hour telling people not to buy them. But the build quality looks great. If it pulls full capacity it should be fine.

the results are in...My testing equipment and procedures can not be considered expert, but, the current meter counted down from 100 amp hours to zero and the battery still had more to give. I kept the 50 amp battery load going for an additional 10 minutes. my stopwatch confirmed 50 amps for 2 hours and 10 minutes. when I took the load off the battery, it went up from about 11.5 to over 12 and slowly kept going up. I would say the pouch cells did good. So, though disappointed that I didn't end up with prismatic cell as I had expected, the build quality is very good, and it hit the rated capacity with room to spare.

the results are in...My testing equipment and procedures can not be considered expert, but, the current meter counted down from 100 amp hours to zero and the battery still had more to give. I kept the 50 amp battery load going for an additional 10 minutes. my stopwatch confirmed 50 amps for 2 hours and 10 minutes. when I took the load off the battery, it went up from about 11.5 to over 12 and slowly kept going up. I would say the pouch cells did good. So, though disappointed that I didn't end up with prismatic cell as I had expected, the build quality is very good, and it hit the rated capacity with room to spare.
Fantastic news. Very good to know.

I recently purchased a CHINS 100AH standard battery too. Not sure what type of cells are in it but I did send an email to chinsus thru AMAZON and asked if they had changed to pouch cells on this model. I will post their reply if I get one. Decided not to open battery box at this time. My batt is in the 23 pound range and was ordered on Feb 25 and delivered on March 4th so shipping time frame was good.
Not going to order any more Chins or that type/brand anymore but cannot afford Battleborn , SOK etc. either.

Attachments

• CHINS 100AH.jpg
    CHINS 100AH.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10
Here is the reply I received from CHINSUSA on my 100AH battery in one day, not bad customer service and honest detail, IMO.
They also said their 200 and 300 AH do have prismatic cells at this time but that the soft pack cells work just as good as prismatic cells
I am satisfied with their reply and customer service, not too bad.

thank you for your mail.
SKU: 12100-211227 is a soft pack battery, we have checked that your shipment is a soft pack battery.
If you can accept we can give you a 15% refund, if not we can give you a return.
Due to a shortage of prismatic cells, production is currently unavailable.
Production of prismatic cells will resume around June-July this year.
Sorry, currently only 12V 200Ah, 12V 300Ah batteries and Smart 12V 100AH batteries are prismatic.
We have some scratched 12V 100AH batteries that are also prismatic.

Last edited:
Here is the reply I received from CHINSUSA on my 100AH battery in one day, not bad customer service and honest detail, IMO.
They also said their 200 and 300 AH do have prismatic cells at this time but that the soft pack cells work just as good as prismatic cells
I am satisfied with their reply and customer service, not too bad.

thank you for your mail.
SKU: 12100-211227 is a soft pack battery, we have checked that your shipment is a soft pack battery.
If you can accept we can give you a 15% refund, if not we can give you a return.
Due to a shortage of prismatic cells, production is currently unavailable.
Production of prismatic cells will resume around June-July this year.
Sorry, currently only 12V 200Ah, 12V 300Ah batteries and Smart 12V 100AH batteries are prismatic.
We have some scratched 12V 100AH batteries that are also prismatic.
Just FYI... I have been very happy with CHINS. I have 2 - 12V-200Ah batteries and 2 - 24V-200Ah batteries for over a year now (no quality issue). All of 4 batteries have been thru capacity 0.1c test and self discharge test (for over a year now) so far I have no issue with them. CHINS cust. rep is very responding if you catch them late night (US Central time). In fact, I did request their capacity tests logs and other technical details.; and they are very responding. I won't be worry about it.

Back