diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

I have now ordered these to wake up the BMS.
That’s interesting! The light board has an 8 pin connector, so it must connect to J6 connector. So I think the “S1“ pin (Pin 3) on that connector must wake the BMS when shorted to ground. I’ll try connecting my push button there and test it later (y)

Edit: There is a small flaw in my plan! The 8 pin connector J6 is not present on my 4S BMS, so I cannot test that! ?‍♂️

FEC0A711-62AC-45C9-AC03-916FC99B15EE.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to experiment by swapping the momentary action push to make switch for a toggle one (2 position, on/off). When the toggle switch closes to short circuit, the BMS wakes, but even with the toggle switch left in the on position, the BMS will go back into sleep mode after the sleep delay. In other words the BMS reacts to the closing contact, but cannot be made to remain active with a continuous short on the trigger pins of J5 connector.

There‘s another thing which is troubling me. When the BMS is activated via J5 connector for the first time after the battery is connected, it works fine and the “Smart BMS” app shows the cell and pack voltages, programmable parameters, etc. Once the BMS goes to sleep it can be activated again with a further short on trigger pins, but this time provides “garbage“ data in the app. My 4S A123 pack which is in reality at 12.9V displays in the app as 1411.5V and the current through the BMS shows as 14.5V!! Using the reboot function within the app doesn’t solve this, nor does closing the app and restarting it. Only disconnecting the balance connector and plugging it back in to power cycle the BMS will get me back to normal accurate readings.

Has anyone else seen these errant readings from their Daly smart BMS? Screenshot below.

I’m doubting at this point that triggering via J5 is a viable method for activating the BMS and will have to do more testing to see if I can keep the Bluetooth active just by using the BMS within my solar setup. Still waiting for some crimp connectors to arrive before I can do that....

013820EA-0B5D-4640-B680-64EDF646DC58.jpeg

Last edited:
No, I haven't seen that before. After the BMS has gone to sleep, I can wake it up again by turning on my inverter.

My BMS is different from yours. I have a separate BT input.

Attachments

• IMG-20200923-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0002.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 68
Several builders under license? I bought mine through Alibaba from Dongguan Daly Electronics Trading Co.

Hi Sverige, i just got my DALY Smart BMS 4s 250A. It's a UART Version. Everything works at the moment (Bluetooth and PC Connector via UART). The Connectors are a little different. Can you tell me if TRIG+ on J5 is around 3.3V? Half of the connectors on my BMS are not labeled. Thank you.
I need a way to wake up the device from sleep.

Hi Sverige, i just got my DALY Smart BMS 4s 250A. It's a UART Version. Everything works at the moment (Bluetooth and PC Connector via UART). The Connectors are a little different. Can you tell me if TRIG+ on J5 is around 3.3V? Half of the connectors on my BMS are not labeled. Thank you.
I’ll just go check and get back to you

Ok, on my 80A 4S version I’m seeing 2.94V between the two trigger pins.

Thank you! I checked again and my Multimeter says 2.98V between the Pins. This is what my terminals look like:

Really strange - how many different versions are there?

I checked between the two pins in the middle on second picture. Right terminal says "PC" on chinese :)

1604859752866.png1604859779159.png

Thank you! I checked again and my Multimeter says 2.98V between the Pins. This is what my terminals look like:

Really strange - how many different versions are there?

I checked between the two pins in the middle on second picture. Right terminal says "PC" on chinese :)

View attachment 27034View attachment 27035
2.98 is near enough - I’d bet that is the trigger port. My multimeter is a cheap rubbish thing without calibration, so my 2.94 could be a little out.

@Will Prowse , would be GREAT if you made a detailed BMS hook up Video, and explain the ins/outs of BMS's.
At the present time, i am purchasing 20 105AH lifepo4 [ps thats your fault, why?, your videos inspire me ,LOL] I am replacing 5 of 12vdc Lead Acid 20AH batteries in the ebike, in series making it a 60vDC Ebike..presently, cut of the metal, and am making it ready to hold 20 lifepo4's in series [oy vey i am scared to blow things up,at 57y old, I dont have a lot of cat lives left] , I am looking at getting a 100a daly BMS, and am scared to hook it up, not sure what they mean by "please do not insert ballance wires into BMS before connecting batteries,must make sure connecting with batteries is correct" ....ahh ok, sure..huh? engrish please.

so yah, PLEASE do a detailed video on the BMS, oh one more thing, living in cold canada, i see that Lifepo4s are not good at charging below zero?..its 3 deg today..so am i making a mistake?, if so how do i keep them from freezing up?, should i only charge them while in a "warmer" garage?..do i need to bring them to above zero Cel. before charging?.

eagerly awaiting Wills video, chewing my nails till they bleed, and not connecting the BMS 100a one, untill I am sure how to do it ptoperly.

Attachments

• 20200209_160921.jpg
    20200209_160921.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 17
@Will Prowse , would be GREAT if you made a detailed BMS hook up Video, and explain the ins/outs of BMS's.
At the present time, i am purchasing 20 105AH lifepo4 [ps thats your fault, why?, your videos inspire me ,LOL] I am replacing 5 of 12vdc Lead Acid 20AH batteries in the ebike, in series making it a 60vDC Ebike..presently, cut of the metal, and am making it ready to hold 20 lifepo4's in series [oy vey i am scared to blow things up,at 57y old, I dont have a lot of cat lives left] , I am looking at getting a 100a daly BMS, and am scared to hook it up, not sure what they mean by "please do not insert ballance wires into BMS before connecting batteries,must make sure connecting with batteries is correct" ....ahh ok, sure..huh? engrish please.

so yah, PLEASE do a detailed video on the BMS, oh one more thing, living in cold canada, i see that Lifepo4s are not good at charging below zero?..its 3 deg today..so am i making a mistake?, if so how do i keep them from freezing up?, should i only charge them while in a "warmer" garage?..do i need to bring them to above zero Cel. before charging?.

eagerly awaiting Wills video, chewing my nails till they bleed, and not connecting the BMS 100a one, untill I am sure how to do it ptoperly.

I realise you‘ve addressed your question directly to Will, but hopeful you don’t mind if I try to answer some of it?

I believe the correct interpretation of “please do not insert ballance wires into BMS before connecting batteries,must make sure connecting with batteries is correct" is that you should connect all the wires of the balance lead to the cells of the battery and test those voltages at the balance connector, before plugging it into the BMS. The alternative of connecting the balance connector to the bms then trying to connect the wires one at a time to the cell junctions would be fraught with risk, as one wrong connection could cause damage to the BMS the moment it was made.

I outlined what I believe is the correct sequence to connect everything to the BMS in this post, on the previous page. I’d suggest splitting out some of your other questions and putting them into the relevant sections of the forum, as there’s a diverse community of users here with overall a great level of expertise, and you’re sure to get good info on LiFePO4 charging temperature considerations if you post in (or read existing threads in) the LiFePO4 battery section.

I’m new on this forum myself, but I gather Will is (understandably) quite occupied with making his videos and I haven’t seen him post much here lately, so you will probably get faster responses from the other forum users, rather than asking questions directly to Will himself.

re:you don’t mind if I try to answer some of it?<<of course not, i only did it to will so he could see that would be a great new video, many noobs like me also need to learn and not mess up with connections..or POOF goes the smoke, i don't know how many time i already did that throughtout my life time..DOH !

and yes THANK you for the links, its a bit of a maze to find out where to post and or ask. thank you
5 STARS [lol, like ebay] cheers mate. [said in a british accent]

I have to say that I am now waiting for my second BMS from Daly in China, because my first suddenly after about 30 minutes just went dead. I had everything installed, connected and suddenly it went off without warning.
After that I discussed with the Chinese salesman for several days what it could have been.
In the end we agreed that I would get a new one at half the price.
In the short time it worked, I connected Bluetooth ,PC and this small display with capacitive touch and everything worked very well.
Why it no longer works could not be determined
Exactly what happened to me. After resolving with Daly I put it away. I saw some new instructions floating around here so pulled it out yesterday, hooked up and it came on! That lasted about half an hour, then it acted like it faulted out and went dark. I haven’t been able to wake it up but nothing has convinced me it is damaged so I may try again. Seems like voltage sensing is an issue when this happens.

Last edited:
I got interesting question?.. daly basic non bluetooth board does allegedly 100amps [ i cant see it actually doing that] what chager input should i use? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284028208202
[am i allowed to post links to these?..i know will said no sponcers... im not recomending, just asking others if this might work]

i am doing a 20s lifepo4 105ah, = 60 plus volts..[ for ebike 500-2000w motor]] . all i can find is either a 60v [72-74 charging] 5 amp, or a rarety and EX$pensive 10 amp variable charger. any suggestions?
can i post links?..not advertising, just showibng the options i have

or
5 A Charger for 60 V LiFepo4 Lithium Battery Pack Electric Bike 110Vac

Exactly what happened to me. After resolving with Daly I put it away. I saw some new instructions floating around here so pulled it out yesterday, hooked up and it came on! That lasted about half an hour, then it acted like it faulted out and went dark. I haven’t been able to wake it up but nothing has convinced me it is damaged so I may try again. Seems like voltage sensing is an issue when this happens.
re:In the end we agreed that I would get a new one at half the price.>> what?.. adefective board not free replaced?..i see a scam happening.. dang i just bought a daly board...but i think its the older non bluetooth version 100U$ ouch dollahs.

if this is a common problem, something needs to be done..has will made any vidos on the recomended BMS?..sorry new to this..so he might have i cant see where.

re:In the end we agreed that I would get a new one at half the price.>> what?.. adefective board not free replaced?..i see a scam happening.. dang i just bought a daly board...but i think its the older non bluetooth version 100U$ ouch dollahs.

if this is a common problem, something needs to be done..has will made any vidos on the recomended BMS?..sorry new to this..so he might have i cant see where.
I did not elect the half price offer but agreed with Daly to less than a full refund. In the process I opened a dispute on AliX using the messages with Daly, some pictures and a couple clips of video I took before and after failure. AliX gave me a full refund including shipping within 1 week. I expected less but it was a completely honest and painless process.

I usually don’t generate as much documentation so I got lucky to have had the right pictures, but the lesson is clear: 1) document starting at unboxing, 2) persistently ask the vendor for a solution in AliX chat 3) video your attempts to do what vendor says, 4) dispute if offered less than a full refund. Daly wanted to move the conversation to WeChat - say no! The chat is evidence so do not agree to any other form of communication other than on AliX. Don’t hesitate to post your video on YouTube and share the link as part of your dispute.

Last edited:
re: painless << lol, it is IF you take a lot of pics, documentation, and be able to prove you did not fry it y self

i usualy deal with ebay..is Ali good?, better?, same? i see it is cheeper on many of same parts.

I also noticed they have some sort of

Li-ion Lipo lifepo4 Lithium Battery Protection Board LCD Display Screen BMS Speedometer Voltage Capacity Mileage Indicator ANT

but cant find it on Ebay..anyone tried that board?
heres a link to it https://www.dalyelec.cn/newsshow.php?cid=24&id=71&lang=1

i see many have it to check their batteries, but i have had no luck finding it.

So i discovered a few more quirks of the Daly SmartBMS.

When i unplug the BT module the BMS shuts down. See the next bit -

I cant seem to start the BMS via the shorting B- P- method when the SOC is high (i was able to do this before i fully charged the battery)? This creates a problem i discovered after top balancing my cells to 3.65V. When i reassembled the 12V pack, i could not start the BMS, nor recharge it, as the pack voltage was still above the 3.55V i had set as the HV protection release. I needed to manually discharge direct from the pack, to then have it take a charge and wake up the BMS.

I also noticed that the BT communication got scrambled today (it reported back 56V and data for a 14s? battery) - hence unplugging the BT module and creating all this trouble. After rebooting it all again, the BT data was still scrambled, but corrected itself after a minute (if i didnt get distracted by something else i would not have waited this minute to find this out.).

Back