diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

They are probably trying to capture the market for those "PLUG AND PLAY" solar enthusiasts .... pretty smart idea ... just tell them what batteries you are using .. the voltage you are using .. and what you want your charge and discharge values to be and they can do the rest ....OF course it looks like once they burn it there's no going back ...
They are all dead after you burn any BMS. How many have you destroyed? Which model have you personally fried? Whether you buy a $1200 orion or a $10 li-ion ebike bms, they all fry when abused.

Last edited:
They are probably trying to capture the market for those "PLUG AND PLAY" solar enthusiasts .... pretty smart idea ... just tell them what batteries you are using .. the voltage you are using .. and what you want your charge and discharge values to be and they can do the rest ....OF course it looks like once they burn it there's no going back ...
What is bad about the plug and play BMS? What settings actually need to be changed in a BMS? Cycle bandwidth is not controlled by BMS for most systems. What are the downsides of plug and play solar enthusiasts? LiFePO4 cycle bandwidth cut offs are very effective and can pull full capacity and I don't see a reason to change them. Why would you?

You are NEVER going to get a Discharge of more than 50% of ANY NON-COMMERCIAL RATED CHINESE BMS ... seriously ... virtually every BMS I have gone through - and I have gone through allot -- at about 50% of me pushing a continuous rated HIGH value through them it either turns into a room heater or the things just literally melts the solder off the connectors ... A 250aH Daly giving you 250 is like a VW Beetle going 120 because it has a 120 speedometer -- just ain't going to happen ...
Can you post pictures to substantiate your claim? We need proof.

Will it handle 250A with the existing wires?
Yeah, those silicone coated wires can push a lot more current than similar gauge copper wire. They can handle the heat. I used to push 100A through 10 gauge on my race drones. It can handle it.

For continuous, you need to derate still. But in my testing, you can push a lot through that type of wire. They do get hot and resistance does increase, so not the best efficiency wise, but yes, a 250A can handle 250A.

Here is an exchange I just had with the Aliexpress Smart BMS Store:
1588786351204.png
1588786394509.png

A couple of things:
1) This is claiming the current rating for charge is 250A. (I would still de-rate by 40-50%)
2) I did not realize there was a daly 'official' store. I am going to find it and ask them the same question.

60A?! No, they made a mistake on inputting the data sheet. That's not true. Keep in mind that aliexpress ads are "copy and paste" from previous products sometimes. Derating by 1/2 or 2/3 is plenty. That 250A BMS will handle 250A. I have multiple videos testing this and it's not an issue at all. If someone can post a video proving me wrong, let me know. I haven't seen a single FET based BMS derated by that much. I am pretty darn sure its the ad that is mistaken. Not the products capability.
Then that new Daly looks like a winner. I am looking forward to their updated spec sheet and your review. Re: "single FET based BMS": What does FET stand for?

Just as an FYI: I have found it difficult to find a good but affordable 4S BMS that handles higher currents and has a good set of features (Particularly low temp charge cut-off). I still have a lot of questions about this one but it looks like it might be a good possibility. I hope @Will Prowse does a video review to help answer questions, but I am going to keep asking the AliExpress Vendor questions as well. (I find that on AliExpress and AliBaba you must ask only one question at a time or communications get garbled)

Meanwhile: If others know of a good High Amp 4S BMS I should look at, please let us know.

Then that new Daly looks like a winner. I am looking forward to their updated spec sheet and your review. Re: "single FET based BMS": What does FET stand for?

FET = Field Effect Transistor. This is a class of transistors that can typically handle high currents.

Note: The BMS will use several FETs. The 'Single' in the sentence is not refering to 'FET', it is refering to 'BMS'. He was saying he has not seen a single BMS that uses FETs derated that much.

Which one? Did you reverse polarity it? I have 9 Daly BMS and have never had a DOA. Which model was it? Which distributor?
I know they are great which was one of the reasons I bought it. I bought it direct off the Daly AliBaba site. It was this one “4S Seperate port LiFePO4 100A BMS with Bluetooth” Definitely did not reverse polarity it. I was disappointed as I really wanted the Daly one (for the form factor as well as the reliability) but Bluetooth was a must have. Anyway they refunded me my money so no complaints there.

Just as an FYI: I have found it difficult to find a good but affordable 4S BMS that handles higher currents and has a good set of features (Particularly low temp charge cut-off). I still have a lot of questions about this one but it looks like it might be a good possibility. I hope @Will Prowse does a video review to help answer questions, but I am going to keep asking the AliExpress Vendor questions as well. (I find that on AliExpress and AliBaba you must ask only one question at a time or communications get garbled)

Meanwhile: If others know of a good High Amp 4S BMS I should look at, please let us know.
I am currently using the one the Will and Pierre reviewed. Works a treat and up to 130A - have not tested it to that high a current though but is cool at 40A. Great review here.https://diysolarforum.com/threads/dgjbd-bluetooth-bms-a-short-review.5290/

Yeah, those silicone coated wires can push a lot more current than similar gauge copper wire. They can handle the heat. I used to push 100A through 10 gauge on my race drones. It can handle it.
If you look at those wires on the lithium emergency battery packs they sell to assist starting cars with flat batteries - those draw over 700a (v8 diesel) for a few seconds. They do get hot but handle that current many times.

Interesting the "Official Daly Store" Does not have the high current 'Smart BMS'. I sent them a message asking about it. I will let folks know what I learn.
On the Daly ‘official store’ the Smart BMS are down the bottom on the LHS

I am currently using the one the Will and Pierre reviewed. Works a treat and up to 130A - have not tested it to that high a current though but is cool at 40A. Great review here.https://diysolarforum.com/threads/dgjbd-bluetooth-bms-a-short-review.5290/
Yup.... I own 4 of those..... The ratings max out at 120A.

The 'SmartBMS store emailed me the 'manual' for the Smart BMS. It leaves a *lot* to be desired but I put it up as a resource:

https://diysolarforum.com/resources/daily-4s-smart-bms-manual-part-1-part-2.48/

It answered few questions and raised more questions..... but I guess it is better than nothing. Maybe others can glean something out of it.

The PC SW they talk about in the ad appears to be intended for use at the factory to set the parameters to the customer preference.... Assuming we can get the SW, that is encouraging. However, you have to have the 485->USB dongle to use it (I think).

Nothing is said about the Bluetooth app.

They are all dead after you burn any BMS. How many have you destroyed? Which model have you personally fried? Whether you buy a $1200 orion or a $10 li-ion ebike bms, they all fry when abused.

No what we are talking about is that BMS company is willing to take the parameters that you send them and burn them into the prom for you ... what i am saying is that before you do that you want to make double sure what the parameters are they are going to burn because there is no going back once burned ... BUT thats a pretty nifty trick they are doing --so for those ppl that want to LVD at 10% and HVD at 90% then they can program that ONCE for you ...and then mail you the BMS

Back