diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

They updated the app - select the option that matches your configuration (single cell, series or parallel) and then you will see the option to select your battery via Bluetooth.
Ok thanks - now I see it. I had failed to realise you need to press the device name a second time before it will display the data. But now I know how to use it hopefully it’s no harder than before (y)

Hi guys.
I'm looking for a way to update SoC value of a Daly BMS connected to a linux computer I use for monitoring.
I did not found anywhere the command to send to adjust SoC value. It's possible to do it with smartphone app, but I'd like to do it via my linux computer.
Does anyone has succeeded on this ?
Or does anyone has a uart dump of this command ?

Thank you,

Greg.

Hi guys.
I'm looking for a way to update SoC value of a Daly BMS connected to a linux computer I use for monitoring.
I did not found anywhere the command to send to adjust SoC value. It's possible to do it with smartphone app, but I'd like to do it via my linux computer.
Does anyone has succeeded on this ?
Or does anyone has a uart dump of this command ?

Thank you,

Greg.
Hi,

The SOC command is integrated with the RTC command, but looks like Daly is not processing the RTC, so ignore the RTC for the moment.
To update the SOC you need to send this below command via serial:

a5 40 21 08 yy mm dd hh mm ss soc soc chk

yy = year
mm = month
dd = day
hh = hour
mm = minute
ss = second
soc = soc
soc = soc
chk = checksum

Example:
a5 40 21 08 16 0c 09 08 04 12 00 c3 1a

16 = 22 (year 2022)
0c = 12 (month December)
09 = 09 (day 9)
08 = 08 (hour)
04 = 04 (minute)
12 = 18 (second)
00 c3 = 195 ===> devide by 10 ==> 195/10 = 19.5%, this means you are setting SOC to 19.5%
1a = checksum

Just play around with this command, and you will see the result.

Kind Regards,
Antonius

Hi,

The SOC command is integrated with the RTC command, but looks like Daly is not processing the RTC, so ignore the RTC for the moment.
To update the SOC you need to send this below command via serial:

a5 40 21 08 yy mm dd hh mm ss soc soc chk

yy = year
mm = month
dd = day
hh = hour
mm = minute
ss = second
soc = soc
soc = soc
chk = checksum

Example:
a5 40 21 08 16 0c 09 08 04 12 00 c3 1a

16 = 22 (year 2022)
0c = 12 (month December)
09 = 09 (day 9)
08 = 08 (hour)
04 = 04 (minute)
12 = 18 (second)
00 c3 = 195 ===> devide by 10 ==> 195/10 = 19.5%, this means you are setting SOC to 19.5%
1a = checksum

Just play around with this command, and you will see the result.

Kind Regards,
Antonius
Thank you !
It works great.
Since RTC is not used, it works also fine by only setting the SoC value, and let the datetime infos to 0 :
For example : a5 80 21 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 d0 1e

Greg.

I just had a strange issue that I'll report here in case anyone else runs into it. I was charging my 4s 12v 280ah lifepo4 battery with 250A Daly Smart BMS using a 12v car charger (cheap CAT 25amp) like I've done in the past, and all seemed to go fine and normal - the CAT charger reported "battery charged" after several hours and I went to check the readings in the Smart BMS app. Strangely, the app didn't detect my BMS any longer. I tried hitting the button on the smart bms, that didn't help either. I thought I was going to have to disconnect all wires and "restart" my BMS, but before doing that I tried disconnecting the Bluetooth module (just unplugged it where the cable goes into the circular BT module), waited 5 seconds, plugged it back in, pressed the button once more (not sure if the button press was required or not) and BAM, it showed up in my app again.

Guess the BT module just needed a "hard restart" so to speak. Still not sure _why_ - it's the first time I've needed to do that since building the battery over half a year ago. Hopefully doesn't happen often.

Hi,
I have a Daly BMS and node-red installed on a connected computer. NR is working fine with other devices.
The Daly is connected through the USB plug and I installed a serial2usb driver. The BMS, when connected to the provided software (DalyBMS V1.1.18) is working and provides me some real values (hooked to the functionnal com4 port).

The first step with NR: connect the BMS and harvest some data and I'm stuck there. when NR is running and connected to the serial com4, ,it says "connected" (and if I launch then the dalybms software, I can't connect to it because the serial port is not multitaking and busy with NR).

I set a Com4 serial (NR) and I need to inject a string (I suppose) to "activate" a reply from the BMS.
My questions:
What kind of strings should I inject into the BMS ?
1) a payload, a topic, anything else ?
2) is it a hex string (like 01 03 00 01 01 57 AA)
3) values to define :
a) I don't even know the ID of the BMS=> how can I identify it ?
b) Do you have a sample of a string to obtain at least a reply ?

Thank you

Hi,
I have a Daly BMS and node-red installed on a connected computer. NR is working fine with other devices.
The Daly is connected through the USB plug and I installed a serial2usb driver. The BMS, when connected to the provided software (DalyBMS V1.1.18) is working and provides me some real values (hooked to the functionnal com4 port).

The first step with NR: connect the BMS and harvest some data and I'm stuck there. when NR is running and connected to the serial com4, ,it says "connected" (and if I launch then the dalybms software, I can't connect to it because the serial port is not multitaking and busy with NR).

I set a Com4 serial (NR) and I need to inject a string (I suppose) to "activate" a reply from the BMS.
My questions:
3) values to define :

Thank you
Hi,

Yes, you will need to inject some strings, here you will need to know the "Daly BMS UART Communication Format", for Read & Write, (like = a5 40 xx xx xx -or- a5 80 xx xx xx / a5 01 xx xx xx / etc.).... But it is a long story to know/to explain all the specific commands. I think there are some threads (previous/earlier threads) discussing about this UART communication format. You can dig deep on them for more detail.....

Kind Regards,
Antonius

Hi,

My questions:
3) values to define :

Thank you
Hi
I'm at the same point at the moment, a sample string or sample nodered flow would be great. Did you solve the issue.
What I found so far is a couple of strings to send, but I'm not aware of the format of the string, eg separated by \x or not or...

I found a comprehensive list of commands on https://diysolarforum.com/threads/decoding-the-daly-smartbms-protocol.21898/ but was not successful to receive logic data...
Any hint would be much appreciated

Last edited:
So i hooked up this daly to 16s pack..no load, yet the bms is showing a 3amps draw...is this normal daly behaviour...or i have something connected wrong.

Would appreciate any help in resolving this

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_094531.jpg
    IMG_20230719_094531.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 6
That's not normal for a stand-alone pack... it should read 0. Did you connect it in parallel to other batteries? If in parallel the other batteries may be drawing from it.
not in parallel, no load...just a new pack i am building. very strange. any likely theories of possible causes?

Left it connected for about 14hrs now.soc dropped from 98 to 82%, but voltage remained same.
So something is obviously wrong.

Any luck with upgrading the software/bms?.
Learnt some people had problems..has it been resolved now?.
Wondering if i cud give it a shot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-19-14-48-44-87_f89e2b5b019766820adc0c9448dea3af.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-19-14-48-44-87_f89e2b5b019766820adc0c9448dea3af.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 3
Sorry I don't have any theories... I own 6 daly's and have never seen this behavior. What do your individual cell voltages look like, normal readings? I assume you've triple checked all your connections?

Sorry I don't have any theories... I own 6 daly's and have never seen this behavior. What do your individual cell voltages look like, normal readings? I assume you've triple checked all your connections?
Cell voltage is not corresponding to 81% soc reading @ 3.5v.

Have you ever upgraded the BMS or software?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-19-15-33-43-27_f89e2b5b019766820adc0c9448dea3af.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-19-15-33-43-27_f89e2b5b019766820adc0c9448dea3af.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 4
Have you ever upgraded the BMS or software?

No, I've never tried - scared after reading all the reports of failed software/firmware updates for Daly units :/

You can set the SOC manually if you want - or when you charge the pack for the first time it should reset to 100 percent. But I'd contact your supplier and/or Daly directly for support regarding your phantom draw issue.

How to select or make a correct communication cable pin(s) for my MPP Solar MGX5048 inverter and Daly Smart BMS 300A (S Series). I have 16S 280AH LiFePO4 batteries.

Attachments

• MPP Solar 5048MGX specs.png
    MPP Solar 5048MGX specs.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MPP Solar 5048MGX.png
    MPP Solar 5048MGX.png
    596.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Daly BMS S series.png
    Daly BMS S series.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
Back