diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

Note: It seems like, that there are a lot of different models existing from DALY. So keep care, it must not be the same to my DALY BMS, but maybe shorten your research time.
Thanks to this thread and one Youtube video, which allowed me to find out in one day, how to use my DALY BMS.

Daly Smart BMS Control

Below you can find my summary to the DALY BMS with Bluetooth:
(DL-R16A-T11S080ATJ-MM04) see picture (Ordered at about end of August 2020)

• If you have already the balance cable in the correct order, then you can connect to the BMS. First off all there will happen nothing, because it’s still off.
Here are 3 options how to do the initial start of BMS:
  • You can load your battery to direct without BMS to 100% (But I don’t know at which Voltage it starts really. Maybe it was the max cut off voltage. (I killed nearly one cell by over voltage)
  • If you bought also the power display panel: great, then just to push the button
  • If you don’t have the power display panel: You can do the same as the button do. Just connect the two correct pins for about 1sec. (In my case the Voltage between those two pins had battery voltage (about 29V 11Cells of type LTO)) see picture BMS_start
Maybe who has bought the power display panel can check, if this is correct with the button. (It works at mine, but I don’t know If it’s really correct)

After a defined time it will turn back to sleep mode. (see below sleep waiting time)

If one of the following actions will be done, the BMS will wake up again and keeps awake as long it is true this action:

• push the button
  • charge (a very low value is enough)
  • discharge (a very low value is enough)
How to connect the mobile phone to BMS:
At the following web page there is a good explanation how to do:

To change the Parameters you need the code: 123456

Note:

• Only if the BMS is awake the Bluetooth is working
  • If you type in some value, you have to use Dot as separator.
  • After click set, you have to wait for about 5sec, that it takes over the value.
    • If it doesn’t take over the value. The value is out of range.
  • All changes at my BMS had an impact after 10sec.
  • Some of the values change in the app, but maybe doesn’t change in reality.
Here you can find status and parameters, which has impact at my BMS and my ideas what the parameters should be.
(“Disconnect” meaning: If it is out of range the action of my BMS is: disconnect of B- to P- and notification at Fault alarm at the Status Display)

• Status Display:
    • Chg MOS: If it is green, then it is allowed to charge.
    • Dischg MOS: If it is green, then it is allowed to discharge.
    • Balance: Don’t know? (Even it was grey, the BMS balanced the battery.)
  • Parameter Settings: / Protection parameters:
    • cell volt high protect: Disconnect
    • cell volt low protect: Disconnect
    • sum volt high protect: Disconnect
    • sum volt low protect: Disconnect
    • diff volt protect: didn’t see an action
    • chg overcurrent protect: Disconnect
    • dischg overcurrent protect: Disconnect
  • Parameter Settings: / Cell characteristics:
    • type of battery: I guess this will adapt the range, which you can set at all single parameters
    • rated capacity: I guess it is necessary for calculation of SOC
    • sell reference volt: Couldn’t check until to now, but it should be following: If you have discharged until “cell volt low protect” has been activate. It is necessary to charge until this value before you can discharge again.
    • sleep waiting time: starts to count, if there is not one of the wake up actions (see above)
    • SOC set: This value changes according to the Battery voltage value. (If my battery was full, I set it to 100% now I need to discharge the battery to see, if 0% is set correct)
    • balanced open start volt: Couldn’t check until to now, but it should be following: If the Battery is above the set value, it starts to balance.
    • balanced open diff volt: Didn’t see any impact to this value, but it should be following: Equalize all Cells to max of this value.
  • Parameter Settings: / Collect board settings:
    • Don’t know for what this page is.
  • Parameter Settings: / Temp protection:
    • chg high temp protect: Disconnect
    • chg low temp protect: Disconnect
    • dischg high temp protect: Disconnect
    • dischg low temp protect: Disconnect
    • diff Temp protect: couldn’t check until to now, but it should be following: If you have more than one Temperature sensor, the difference is not allowed to be more than the set value.
    • diff Temp protect: couldn’t check until to now. I guess it is the max temp of the BMS
  • Parameter Settings: / Put to control:
    • Chg switch: If off, than can’t charge anymore
    • Dischg switch: If off, than can’t discharge anymore
    • System reset: restart your BMS and is it in state off (see above how to do initial start)
    • Factory data reset: Don’t want to try. To what ever it will reset to real factory settings or to delivery settings.
    • Zero drift curr calibration: Didn’t try
    • Reset Password: Didn’t try

Attachments

• BMS_start.jpg
    BMS_start.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DALY_BMS_DL-R16A-T11S080ATJ-MM04.jpg
    DALY_BMS_DL-R16A-T11S080ATJ-MM04.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Hello Sverige,

My BMS: Daly Smart BMS 4S 250A UART Version:

I have bought this bms and can't set parameters with daly app.
I have USB Cable by myself and need the right sequence (rx, tx, GND) from left to right uart plug on the bms. Please help.

Best Regards Tom from germany

Attachments

• 16077023320884806814858916815643.jpg
    16077023320884806814858916815643.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20201211_190100.jpg
    IMG_20201211_190100.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 51
I got this 48v 100A discharge/50A charge DALY Smart BMS. Today I experienced for the 2nd time ghost current while charging my cells using solar charger. (Battery is only in charging mode). I say ghost current, because charge current is only 20A-30A (based on clampmeter and based on LED of charger), but BMS spikes to 70A to 100+A, triggering overcurrent cutoff, then shuts BMS off.

When I reset BMS via app (via system reset), for less than 10seconds, it reads correct current, but spikes to 70A to 100A mark after ~10second mark.

Disconnected-Reconnected the balance wires, P- and B- wires, (plus main battery negative and positiver terminals), but the issue still exists.Been working on it for 5hours now but still can't find a solution. For the mean time, my workaround is to set charge overcurrent protection to 280A, so BMS will not shutdown.

Last time, the solution was to disconnect-reconnect the wires. I'm not sure why it won't work this time though. Wondering if anyone experienced this issue and got the solution?

I got this 48v 100A discharge/50A charge DALY Smart BMS. Today I experienced for the 2nd time ghost current while charging my cells using solar charger. (Battery is only in charging mode). I say ghost current, because charge current is only 20A-30A (based on clampmeter and based on LED of charger), but BMS spikes to 70A to 100+A, triggering overcurrent cutoff, then shuts BMS off.

When I reset BMS via app (via system reset), for less than 10seconds, it reads correct current, but spikes to 70A to 100A mark after ~10second mark.

Disconnected-Reconnected the balance wires, P- and B- wires, (plus main battery negative and positiver terminals), but the issue still exists.Been working on it for 5hours now but still can't find a solution. For the mean time, my workaround is to set charge overcurrent protection to 280A, so BMS will not shutdown.

Last time, the solution was to disconnect-reconnect the wires. I'm not sure why it won't work this time though. Wondering if anyone experienced this issue and got the solution?
From what I understand, the balance wires should only be attached to the BMS via the connector all at once. Hopefully this is what you mean by "disconnect/reconnect".
I'm not familiar with this failure mode, but there are a limited number of possible causes.
Let's start with the no-brainer questions:
1. Blue wire to the batteries and Black wire to your load?
2. Are all loads disconnected?
Make sure the surges aren't load related.
3. No excess resistance in the balance leads? Check voltage from ground to each end of the wires. Should be exactly the same.
3. Charge controller giving clean power?
Monitor current through the shunt by switch meter from DC to AC and see if any noise is riding on the line. Use a scope if you have one
Check the voltage out of the controller the same way.
If none of this shows anything, there could be something wrong with the BMS.

From what I understand, the balance wires should only be attached to the BMS via the connector all at once. Hopefully this is what you mean by "disconnect/reconnect".
I'm not familiar with this failure mode, but there are a limited number of possible causes.
Let's start with the no-brainer questions:
1. Blue wire to the batteries and Black wire to your load?
2. Are all loads disconnected?
Make sure the surges aren't load related.
3. No excess resistance in the balance leads? Check voltage from ground to each end of the wires. Should be exactly the same.
3. Charge controller giving clean power?
Monitor current through the shunt by switch meter from DC to AC and see if any noise is riding on the line. Use a scope if you have one
Check the voltage out of the controller the same way.
If none of this shows anything, there could be something wrong with the BMS.
I say disconnect-reconnect, I removed all screws and all connections. Then reconnect them, just to ensure that there will be no loose connection.

1. Blue wire to the batteries and Black wire to your load? Yes.
2. Are all loads disconnected? Yes. I have a DC circuit breaker between battery and Inverter/Charger, and I turned it off. If it's off, then BMS reads 0. When it is open, for first 10 seconds, the current reading is correct. After 10 seconds, it adds ghost current.
3. No excess resistance in the balance leads? Check voltage from ground to each end of the wires. Should be exactly the same?
Yes.
3. Charge controller giving clean power? Yes. Only BMS has wrong reading.

:(

I say disconnect-reconnect, I removed all screws and all connections. Then reconnect them, just to ensure that there will be no loose connection.

1. Blue wire to the batteries and Black wire to your load? Yes.
2. Are all loads disconnected? Yes. I have a DC circuit breaker between battery and Inverter/Charger, and I turned it off. If it's off, then BMS reads 0. When it is open, for first 10 seconds, the current reading is correct. After 10 seconds, it adds ghost current.
3. No excess resistance in the balance leads? Check voltage from ground to each end of the wires. Should be exactly the same?
Yes.
3. Charge controller giving clean power? Yes. Only BMS has wrong reading.

:(

at this point I would NOT be trusting the BMS at all -- of all the things that can go slightly wrong and fry your batteries is the BMS .. not worth the risk -- obviously its NOT working the way it should .. contact manufacture and ask for a swap...

can you show me, what is the pins on daly BMS UART Pinouts.
I look to the BMS 4-pin connector for UART.
Its right from left to right: first pin = GND, second pin =RX, third pin = TX anf fourth pin = VCC 3,3Volts ?

can anyone send me a foto from 4-pin plug original Daly UART-USB Cable?

regards Tom, thanks for help

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_190100.jpg
    IMG_20201211_190100.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Its right from left to right: first pin = GND, second pin =RX, third pin = TX anf fourth pin = VCC 3,3Volts ?

There must be someone out there who can help Tom with this question? My own Daly BMS has the 6 pin Connector which is documented on the Daly site.

Who has a 4 pin UART port on their BMS and has a UART to USB cable they can photograph for @Kapo ?

So how do we wake the bms Bluetooth up?
according to the bms, if it has the 6-pin connector for the soc led monitor, the meter has a power button, simply push ON button and Bluetooth come ON. If you have the connector but you don't have the led monitor, you can still put a power button on the two corresponding pins.
My bms 4s does not have a connector for the soc led monitor, but it does have a two-pin connector for the power button .

according to the bms, if it has the 6-pin connector for the soc led monitor, the meter has a power button, simply push ON button and Bluetooth come ON. If you have the connector but you don't have the led monitor, you can still put a power button on the two corresponding pins.
My bms 4s does not have a connector for the soc led monitor, but it does have a two-pin connector for the power button .
So I need to make a button to connect between the 2 pins and act as a on switch?

Hello
My Daly Smart BMS 200A, UART 4S, from Oktober 2020 starts with:
1. Apply a charge voltage between + and P-
2. Insert the UART USB plug in the working PC.
3. Apply 5V to the UART USB plug with a power bank.

Thomas

And I can find pinouts in the manuals posted in the resources section here, but I don't see that any of them show any matching pins to what's marked on the USB-to-485 cable. What am I missing here?
Maybe the manual has been updated, or maybe I overlooked this previously, but the answer seems to be here:
1609378562267.png

It's a good start.
RX and TX, good to know.

Next 2 wires to be known are the + and ground.
RX, TX ground can be wrong without trouble.
+ Can't be.
Putting that one at the wrong location...
Never communication again.

With RX, TX just turn around.
Ground never hurts to plug anywhere.

Does the manual give more information on that??

The Daly doesn't need external power if it's already working for the communication.
Then it's just RX and TX.
What's A and what's B is easy enough

Next 2 wires to be known are the + and ground.
I suspect neither of those are needed. The USB adapter shouldn't need external power; it gets it from the USB port. And, as you say, the BMS itself has power. AFAIK, RS-485 signaling just takes the two wires. Won't be able to test it for sure until my cells arrive (a month or more to go on that, I expect), though.

The post from @Thomas55 , point 2 and 3 the BMS is powered via USB.
RS 485 communication can need "own" power, if the unit is not turned on, but you just need to change settings.

That situation...
Be sure what wires are + and -
I have my share of defects due wires on wrong location.

Feel free to make a few of your own, the Daly would be an expensive one...

The wire is twisted, to protect data loss.
The crossing might or might not yet have taken place inside the unit or USB...
Good thing is that TX on RX doesn't hurt.
It just doesn't work.
If it doesn't, just cross :),

See attached. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• Daly BMS connectors.jpg
    Daly BMS connectors.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 102
Back