diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

I just installed a Daly Smart BMS for my 48V Lifepo4 battery pack. I was hoping to find more information on it's balancing. It appears according to my PCMaster.com (Version 1.1.7) program that when balancing the highest 2 cells (cell values highlighted in red) are being drained. How much current is being drained is not known except (datasheet specifies balancing current as 30mA). But my SmartBMS App does not show which cells are being balanced. Can anybody share any more information on balancing? Thanks.

I also noticed that after charging the charging mosfet turns off and on automatically whilst it still allows mosfet discharging. That is impressive for a common port BMS.

It would be nice to use the USB-CANbus device to send a heartbeat signal and data (DCL, CCL, SOC, SOH) to my Victron Energy CCGX device. Anybody attempting this?
DalyBMS.JPG

DalyBMS balancing2.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link the USB CAN driver software for Windows 10 if possible? They supplied the USB-CAN device without a driver CD.USBCAN.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link the USB CAN driver software for Windows 10 if possible? They supplied the USB-CAN device without a driver CD.View attachment 38516
Daly has most of the software available, it is just very disorganized and difficult for even them to find.

Just dig around on their site.

Last edited:

When you open the Daly Software you will need to click commset on top right, open port, then select USBCAN and it will work.
Thanks I sorted that out. Unsigned drivers have been enabled. Now it fails to open. Any ideas.
Maybe I need to connect a 120 ohm resistor.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks I sorted that out. Unsigned drivers have been enabled. But no commport is assigned? Maybe I need to connect a 120ohm resistor. Any ideas.
Read my post above, it doesn't use a commport, you need to use the commset in the software, click open port and then assign USBCAN

Oh, did you check the drop down box that says USBCAN-1 as you may have a slightly different model!

Hello.
I have come here through the search engine. I use the translator to write here. Has anyone managed to connect it to node red directly?
I have used the serial node and the modbus node and I can't get anything from them. I'm not good at this. I use the emoncms version without visual environment.
All the best.

I have Daly BMS, version '200AcomUART485CANBT' from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000922225759.html.
I have tried to communicate with BMS using Modbus protocol, I have connected wires A and B from the CAN/RS485 connector.
The Modbus Slave address is expected to be 210 and can be changed via PC software. I have tested with 9600, one stop bit, no parity. I have tried to exchange A and B wires.
I have used USB - RS485 adapter and even more Modbus programs for test. I have verified the signal using an oscilloscope, seems to be OK.
However, still no luck, no response from BMS (Modbus timeout error).
Do I miss anything?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Interesting. It seems that there *still* isn't low-temp protection.
I am new to this forum and lipo/bms but not to electronics. Just updating this year old thread to help other like myself get information faster.
Building two battery packs using the Daly smart bms i have determined the low temp cut off does work and can be set with the app via Bluetooth. I Tested the range between room temp down to 0 deg C
Interesting. It seems that there *still* isn't low-temp protection.

Exploring the store I found this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000907254597.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.4c914ef6T0QkV5

This looks interesting for my 12V builds.... but there is a lot I can't tell about it.
* The scary thing is what @Capt Bill pointed out. Is the continuous current 60A for the 250A product?? This would be a showstopper for me.
* What settings are 'fixed' and what settings can be adjusted.
* Can they be adjusted by the Bluetooth app?​
* What are the ranges for the parameters?​
* Is the bluetooth app available in English?​
* It looks like it might have low-temp protect.... but I can't tell for sure what the settings are.​
I noticed this:​
And This:​
It looks like they custom burn the prom with the settings you want. That is kinda strange. I wonder if that is fundamental to their design or if it is just that the app is not ready yet?​
Using a Daly 200A smart bms I have drawn 180 A for 5 minutes. As with most bms systems the output wires are undersized for the rated current. In this case they started to warm up. My suggestion is to derate the “marketed” capacity by 50%

Back