diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

So, following up on the wiring issue. I've added a wire from the GND terminal to B-; that resulted in no change. I tried plugging in the "light board", also no change (no reason it should have made a change, but there's also no reason it should be needed to turn on the BMS as it apparently is).

Does anyone have the software working using the RS485 connection? If so, how do you have it wired?

I've now tried with a different RS485 adapter, suspecting the original one might be defective. Connected its A and B terminals to the wires that should be A and B according to the manual--no comms (or any other response) with their software. Swapped those two wires--still no comms. Running out of things to try, I tried using the other two wires on that connector (the two on the left, which should be for CAN)--no comms there either, in either orientation (i.e., left-most wire as A or B).

Am I the only one who's tried to get this communicating over the RS485 port?

Does the 300 amp use the same wiring loom for connecting to the cells and if so what's the connection order? I don'tr want to accidently kill my BMS trying to hook it up to the cells.

I have this unit, no manual was bundled, recommended to watch this video clip:

The robot voice is terrible, but that’s out of the point. It features a model not exactly like mine and find no other YouTube clips or google information for my model. (I hope somebody who speaks proper English makes a detailed video for this particular model!)

At the end the mad voice goes through the settings in the app. He skips a few settings and doesn’t describe all I need.

Perhaps you guys can help :)

It is being mounted in a sailboat. I don’t want to have to give it start current every time the BMS cuts off.

The sailboat will be left unattended for long times so it must be fully automatic. Bilge pumps, alarm etc are dependant on electricity.

I was told by the solar MPPT regulator, Morningstar Corporation, I need to reprogram their TS-MPPT-30 to cut off earlier than the BMS cuts off charging as the MPPT can be damaged it battery power is cut off all off a sudden while charging.

I need to draw up to 200 A to a inverter sometimes. It is rated to 200 A draw so should be fine. When testing at home with a 2 kW fan via Inverter it cut off at 1350 W already, way to early. Probably because I haven’t set the BMS up properly. I am certain it was not the inverter which cut off, it is the BMS.

When that happens it turns off and gets grumpy, have to wake it up with 5 V power from a battery pack. Again, unacceptable on a sailboat.

I used to have AGM so some of this is new to me. What is SOC etc, how should I configure all values to make it work like the requirements I outlined above? Will I need to put a USB outlet next to the BMS and always feed it with 5 V to that port? If so, will it draw a lot of current that way all the time of just when waking up is needed? Should I connect that to my lead acid start battery? That is a separate battery bank, they share a common minus but separated on the plus side by a charging relay. What if they get connected? Big fire?

Seems like a bad solution to have 5V always on from a separate battery bank but if it is what it takes so...

The settings I need are:
Balance always gray, how to turn on.
SOC number
Board settings
Temperature difference set to 255, seems wrong?

Max voltage
Min voltage

charge connect/disconnect
MOS (what is it)

thanks!

Attachments

• 83950F0E-037F-4BA3-B62A-31566AA3B181.jpeg
    83950F0E-037F-4BA3-B62A-31566AA3B181.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2D8EFD51-58BA-48AE-AB37-99CC1902F925.jpeg
    2D8EFD51-58BA-48AE-AB37-99CC1902F925.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 8488556C-7DFD-48C7-A354-D31FF5D754E4.jpeg
    8488556C-7DFD-48C7-A354-D31FF5D754E4.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1857677D-AEE8-4DA0-84FA-6297A67D88BE.png
    1857677D-AEE8-4DA0-84FA-6297A67D88BE.png
    504 KB · Views: 52
The settings I need are:
Balance always gray, how to turn on.
SOC number
Board settings
Temperature difference set to 255, seems wrong?

Max voltage
Min voltage

charge connect/disconnect
MOS (what is it)

thanks!
Very new to this too so take any comment with caution.
Balance always gray- this is the reason I found this thread, looking for the answer myself. ‘Maybe’ it will come on when balance conditions are met- near top of charge and out of spec.
SOC number - mine has sorted itself out with a charge - discharge cycle. Others have posted no such luck.
Board settings - I assume this has to do with series or parallel connecting multiple BMS \ batteries, so have left mine alone.
Temp difference - yeah not sure. My guess is if you have two diff temp probes, it can monitor for difference. Probably set high to avoid nuisance tripping.
Max and min voltage - per cell I’m using 3.6 and 2.5 (for now, will change to more conservative numbers when battery goes in to service).

don’t know about the last two.

But still very interested in the first point (balance switch can’t be turned on) if anyone knows

Very new to this too so take any comment with caution.
Balance always gray- this is the reason I found this thread, looking for the answer myself. ‘Maybe’ it will come on when balance conditions are met- near top of charge and out of spec.
SOC number - mine has sorted itself out with a charge - discharge cycle. Others have posted no such luck.
Board settings - I assume this has to do with series or parallel connecting multiple BMS \ batteries, so have left mine alone.
Temp difference - yeah not sure. My guess is if you have two diff temp probes, it can monitor for difference. Probably set high to avoid nuisance tripping.
Max and min voltage - per cell I’m using 3.6 and 2.5 (for now, will change to more conservative numbers when battery goes in to service).

don’t know about the last two.

But still very interested in the first point (balance switch can’t be turned on) if anyone knows
Balance will "turn on" when the conditions are met. Mine are set to only come on at 3.4v or above (i.e. almost never) and out of balance by more than .005v.

It will only come on when charging, and won't stay on. Trust me, your objective is for it not to come on. When your balance comes on depends on how you have it set, it will only come on for short periods when charging. Until they get to either end of the knees, my cells stay close enough that no balance is going to happen, and likely if it does, it might knock them out of balance. I had to turn mine down to .005 (the lowest it goes) to even see it turn on. If you have properly top balanced, it's likely you might have a hard time catching it balancing too.

The "switch" you think you see on the first page labeled balance, is just a light that activates (turns green) when it is briefly active. Only when charging, and only above the voltage you set, and only if they are out of balance by the value you set.

Thanks!

I got all rigged on the dining table. Need to disconnect it to mount it in the sailboat. Is there a particular order in which it should be disconnected? Read another post here in which the guy destroyed the BMS by disconnecting it the wrong way, hence the question.

Will the BMS keep the values when loosing power? Seems so so not in RAM right? Is it in EPROM or something?

cheers

And yes they seem balanced now that I have applied charge/discharge.

The BMS was off again this morning. Turned on the inverter attached to it and it came alive.

seller claims I don’t need 5V USB power source attached, the solar controller or slight discharge will see to it that it will become alive when needed.

works now that is is inside operating range. But what happens when its voltage goes above the top value?

I put the values the seller gave me: top 3.53 V, low 3.05 V.

These cells I got - I have a Sterling Alternator to Battery charger in the boat, pretty much an “intelligent charge relay”. I will change its setting from AGM to LiFePO4.
On the unit it says “LiFePO4: 14.4 V and high 14.6”. Ok settings? Suppose they got it right at the factory?

Thanks!

I got all rigged on the dining table. Need to disconnect it to mount it in the sailboat. Is there a particular order in which it should be disconnected? Read another post here in which the guy destroyed the BMS by disconnecting it the wrong way, hence the question.

Will the BMS keep the values when loosing power? Seems so so not in RAM right? Is it in EPROM or something?

cheers
Daly recommends/says plug in the sense/balance leads last when connecting.
Balance/sense leads unplug first when disconnecting.
May or may not make any difference, that is the only way I have done it so far.

SOC may reset and work after you do a charge and discharge cycle, mine doesn't. Many people say that works, but mine never adds to the cycle count as well.

If you use 2.5v for minimum cell, and 3.65v, it will set 10v and 14.6v as minimum and maximum pack voltages.

The values he gave you are good and conservative.

I show pictures and link to Amazon if you want a switch to wake up bluetooth, people seem to dislike bluetooth going into power save and not waking up until a charge or discharge is done. There is also a setting to disable.

The BMS will save settings even when disconnected.

Last edited:
Thanks.

This thread worries me:

So I disconnect all five sense leads, one black, four red. Next I disconnect the BMS P- to wherever it’s going, next P-?
Done.

Ok?

Thanks,

So I disconnect all five sense leads, one black, four red. Next I disconnect the BMS P- to wherever it’s going, next P-?
Done.

Ok?

Thanks,
Don’t bother disconnecting each sense wire from the cells. Unplug the white connector from the BMS unit.
My assumption is disconnecting main power before balance plug pushes too much current through the balance circuit somehow. May not be correct but thinking of it in this way will help remember.
Oh yeah and I’ve set my time out to 15300, seems to stay awake (but haven’t left it alone more than 12hrs at a time).

I’ve still not seen the balance switch on. Have adjusted balance setting to 0.005V and have it on charge, delta V 0.009V.

Attachments

• 0B11011F-BDCC-4B7B-81D5-ADDD419C1682.png
    0B11011F-BDCC-4B7B-81D5-ADDD419C1682.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 25
I’ve still not seen the balance switch on. Have adjusted balance setting to 0.005V and have it on charge, delta V 0.009V.
I will repeat again, most people have it set for 3.4v or above. If you need it below 3.4v, you should try top balancing your cells.

I understand that for some people cell balancing is an obsession, but it is only going to do what you tell it to do. It really only works when you reach the knee, and the knee starts about 3.4v, so it defaults to 3.4v or above while charging.

If your cells are out of balance below 3.4v, you should try top balancing first.

Don’t bother disconnecting each sense wire from the cells. Unplug the white connector from the BMS unit.

This is what I do.

My assumption is disconnecting main power before balance plug pushes too much current through the balance circuit somehow. May not be correct but thinking of it in this way will help remember.
Oh yeah and I’ve set my time out to 15300, seems to stay awake (but haven’t left it alone more than 12hrs at a time).

There is a value you can use that will disable the power saving bluetooth setting. I don't use it, but I have a switch attached so I can wake it if necessary.

No need to repeat yourself John, I’m just posting my experience so that a)someone might point out a setting I have wrong or b) other readers can see they are not the only ones experiencing something.
my cells are new and have been top balanced to 3.65V then left in // overnight. On first discharge one cell dropped to 2.5, two at 2.7 and one at 2.9. On recharge, despite some of the cells being quite different, the balance light didn’t activate. Now that the cells are in the 3.3~ range, Delta V is 3mV. Maybe that’s because the called are balanced, or maybe bms balancing is working but not illuminating. I’ll see how it goes at the top knee and post results for anyone that’s interested.

No need to repeat yourself John, I’m just posting my experience so that a)someone might point out a setting I have wrong or b) other readers can see they are not the only ones experiencing something.
my cells are new and have been top balanced to 3.65V then left in // overnight. On first discharge one cell dropped to 2.5, two at 2.7 and one at 2.9. On recharge, despite some of the cells being quite different, the balance light didn’t activate. Now that the cells are in the 3.3~ range, Delta V is 3mV. Maybe that’s because the called are balanced, or maybe bms balancing is working but not illuminating. I’ll see how it goes at the top knee and post results for anyone that’s interested.
So, what did you set the balance start voltage to? I am repeating because you said difference of .009, but didn't post when it should start while showing your cells below 3.3v. Hard to remember, but I think mine came set to start balancing ABOVE 3.4v.

I understand there are lots of threads to read here, but a lot of this information has been posted multiple times. This is the second time today I have explained this, it only starts when charging, only above the voltage you have set, and only if cells are out of balance by the value you have set. When those conditions are met, you will see the balance indicator turn on, occasionally. Not solid, and not unless the conditions are met.

Last edited:
Waking up the Daly without a power supply...
I found this info elsewhere, but did it last night so can confirm it worked for me.
AA battery (I used a 1.2V eneloop) between B- (+) and P- (-) will wake up the BMS.
BMS looks for +0.6V difference between the two.

The pin out on my 250A 4S looks different to many posted here so don’t know which are the shorting pins, but this was easier for me anyway.

I'm trying to read out all values from my Daly Smart BMS 4S 100A 12V and integrate this values in my smart home system (openhab)

At the moment I can connect to BMS with the Android-App over Bluetooth and also with a windows 10 pc and the sinoweath software which is connect to the monitor port at BMS and USB at PC.

Now I try to get the data with a Linux-System first. I connected the USB-Port with it:
samuel@nb-lubuntu:~/daly$ dmesg | grep ttyUSB0
[ 18.276274] usb 3-1: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0
samuel@nb-lubuntu:~/daly$
The UART-Adapter was detected by the system and is available over /dev/ttyUSB0

samuel@nb-lubuntu:/dev/serial$ ls -la /dev/serial/by-id/
insgesamt 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Mai 5 11:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Mai 5 11:28 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mai 5 11:28 usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
samuel@nb-lubuntu:/dev/serial$

Later I want to develop a Java-App (because openhab is a java based system) to get all data from Daly BMS and maybe also for writing.

Here in the forum I found the RS485+UART PROTOCOL Documentation

But until now I failed by trying to communicate over /dev/serial/ttyUSB0 with the BMS.
Is someone here who already successfully communicate with the BMS. Independent from the language. Maybe with python or a simple terminal serial communication tool.

Am I the only one who's tried to get this communicating over the RS485 port?
I ended up buying both a USB-RS485 and a USB-UART adapter off eBay. The 485 still didn't work, so that's three separate RS485 adapters that didn't work--I'm not sure if my BMS is just defective or what. Fortunately, I am able to communicate using the UART adapter. I'm using this software to read both the BMS and the MPP inverter:

Back