diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

Hi i am still having problems to get information out of the bms. ihave now just tried to connect esp -01 Wi-Fi module directly to bms uart port and then using HW Virtual port to create a com port then connect the Bms softwre to the com port but not getting any joy. Any suggestions will be great.
Hi,
Try using JeeLabs ESP-Link firmware, flash it into your ESP8266, this one works.
Tasmota does not work so far, even already enable #define USE_TCP_BRIDGE, the 13-byte serial packet data is always fragmented using Tasmota.

I think the link that you gave "The Binary Protocol", is quite informative, even much more complete.

Below snapshots after retrieving the BMS data and use them in the Node-RED, (not 100% finished yet):
1626533205140.png
1626533278046.png

Hi Antonius, Would you share your node of Node-Red that digests the data from that TCP/IP port? that would be brilliant if you could.
Hallo...
Here it is...... The flow that I created for the BMS Monitoring & Read/Write parameter settings. It is a long and complicated flow, not 100% finished yet though, especially for the write parameter setting parts, only 6-7 parts I have made, Battery Code is there but not yet finished, and then the other write parameter settings. I need some more spare time to finalized these parts....
If you can continue and finalize the rest of the Set/Write Parameter Settings, please let us know, and share them in this forum...

You should see something like these images below on your Node-RED:

1627361010255.png

1627361071995.png

Attachments

• BMS.txt
    286.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
hi

anyone has try comunicate bms via canbus to Sma Sunny Island(rj45) to have the reading of % battery via online portal and inverter ?

I think using ESPlink with esp-01 connected to the Daly UART and using Antonius awesome flow will be work.
I made Esplink with Riden RD 6018 power supply and works pretty well. Should be work in this case.

Hallo...
Here it is...... The flow that I created for the BMS Monitoring & Read/Write parameter settings. It is a long and complicated flow, not 100% finished yet though, especially for the write parameter setting parts, only 6-7 parts I have made, Battery Code is there but not yet finished, and then the other write parameter settings. I need some more spare time to finalized these parts....
If you can continue and finalize the rest of the Set/Write Parameter Settings, please let us know, and share them in this forum...

You should see something like these images below on your Node-RED:

View attachment 57815

View attachment 57816
Hi Antonious,
I never got to thank you!! I have to say I gave it a try with my set up and I couldn't make it to work. I try to skim it as much as I could without damaging the core (ie. I don't use emmoncms but influxdb and grafana). There were some instances when I was getting "some" data and other instances I got just gibberish.
I have now installed the USB-uart cable in a W10 platform and sniffed quite some amount of data both for the reads and writes that I am attaching here.
Perhaps you could take a look at it and see if you could figure out the pattern Daly uses for its BMS so you could make it a "universal" node, just changing the cell count?
My set up is 16s 176AH LiFePo4 cells and the BMS version is the 150A FAN with 1 NTC probe and at the time of the snif the BMS had done 12 cycles, SOC was pretty high around 97%.
Thanks for your efforts!

Attachments

• Writes.txt
    34.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Reads.txt
    97.1 KB · Views: 71
Would love to hear your thoughts on this: Click Here to see it on aliexpress (non affiliate link)

Seems to have multiple communication methods:
  • UART ( UART is UniversalAsynchronousReceiver/Transmitter, It transforms the data to be transmitted between serial communication and parallel communication. As a chip to convert parallel input signals into serial output signals, UART is usually integrated into other communication interfaces.)
  • UART 485 (RS-485 adopts balanced transmission and differential reception, so it has the ability to suppress common mode interference. )
And some useful modules that work with the new communication port:
  • 485 to USB
  • 485 to CANbus!!
  • Bluetooth
  • Key lightboard (? not sure what this is for)
  • GPS module (cannot find it for sale, but it states that GPS module can attach to bluetooth connection)
View attachment 12536
hi i am using a daly 250 amp 16s 48 volt model,not sure if this if off topic,but it seems you cannot adust thr reconnect voltage after a high volt dissconnect issue, the daly common port model, which i have dissconects on high cell voltage by removing the negative line from the charge controller, ok so far, except that it then reconnects after checking the battery voltage, which being dissconted from the charge source is now low, so it reconnects,it then goes round in a circle,on and off, on and off.turning on the solar charger battery and solar input at the same time can destroy the charge controller,not only that i saw that momently when it reconnects the voltage went up to the ocv of the solar array,very bad news!i
i have been unable to find a way to ajust the reconnect voltage to stop this occuring ,i have come up with a somewhat complicated way using relays etc,has anyone else had this issue? i suspect this is the result of less than perfect batteries which when charged at high amps say 50 do not soak up the energy fast enough.but having spent lots of cash on these batteries i cant just dump them, any ideas people

Umm.. Adjust your ssc to not try charge above bms limits lol ofc it wil go into loop

I have a Daly Smart 100a 8s bms and I don't understand what the chg overcurrent protect/dischg overcurrent protect settings should be. Can any help clarify?

I have a Daly Smart 100a 8s bms and I don't understand what the chg overcurrent protect/dischg overcurrent protect settings should be. Can any help clarify?
The bms disconnect battery if those current limits are reached. =) I'd set it on a level so it would trip before any fuses are blown. Just another level of protection and save you some buck on fuses maybe :p
In some situations the overcurrect protect may trip if it is to low set due to capacitor inrushes tho

Last edited:
I have a Daly Smart 100a 8s bms and I don't understand what the chg overcurrent protect/dischg overcurrent protect settings should be. I still don't understand. Attached is a screenshot. Are these parameters ok?

Attachments

• overcharge.jpeg
    overcharge.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 43
I have a Daly Smart 100a 8s bms and I don't understand what the chg overcurrent protect/dischg overcurrent protect settings should be. I still don't understand. Attached is a screenshot. Are these parameters ok?
You bought that bms used? Those values looks off.

Default daly bms values for _lifepo4_ 100a bms is
3.75 cell high volt protect
2.5 low

150 amp over curr discharge and charge

Hi,

Yes, my Node-RED flow was made for 8S configuration, as this is in my case. If you have 16S, then of course it needs to be modified to accommodate the other 8 additional cells. I understand, it is not simple to modify this flow, (it is a bit complicated), but what I can suggest for your case is to load the flow one by one. For example; first just load the "SumVolt-Curr-SOC", (delete the other flows to reduce the complicated flows), if the first flow runs fine, then copy the next flow, and if you find there are only 8 cells, then you need to modify/add the additional 8 cells (cell-9 up to cell-16).... and try to run again, then add the next flow again, and so on......

Just for reference, attached excel file is the commands I observed for the UART comm...

Your 2 txt files are not in the Node-RED export/import format, so I can not read them...

Attachments

• BMS_UART Communication formats.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 133
I think using ESPlink with esp-01 connected to the Daly UART and using Antonius awesome flow will be work.
I made Esplink with Riden RD 6018 power supply and works pretty well. Should be work in this case.
Yes, ESP-01 also uses the same chip; ESP8266, this can be used as well.....

I ordered the Light Board and hooked it up, but my bms is located under the bench seat, so I'm using a usb 3.0 extension cable to move it closer to my other power equipment. EDIT/UPDATE 2.0 cable will not work. I just tried one of those too.

It was slick to use an off the shelf component for the physical plugs, but dumb because the likelyhood of someone plugging the light board or the BMS into a PC USB port is now much greater than 0, and I have a feeling that would be bad for the light board and/or the BMS!

20211021_174113.jpg

Last edited:
a littl stupid question, knows anyone what for a type of plugs for the 5/6 pin out uart0/1 is? thanks

a littl stupid question, knows anyone what for a type of plugs for the 5/6 pin out uart0/1 is? thanks
JST with 2mm spacing.

Back