diy solar

diy solar

New EcoFlow Delta Pro owner has some questions:

William Stone

Hi everyone,

I'm a new EcoFlow Delta Pro owner and in my initial testing of my Delta Pro I've come up with a few burning questions:
(1) I read that it isn't proper to charge the Delta Pro to 100% and store it fully charged. Naturally, many people want to use the unit as a back-up if there is an interruption in the power grid. How full can a Delta Pro be charged safely and without degrading the battery. What is the optimum % of power to store. (IIRC, the user manual says that while being stored, every 3 months the battery should be discharged to 30% and recharged up to 60% or more.)

(2) I've read that charging "rechargeable things" up faster degrades the battery faster. Likewise charging things up fully degrades the battery faster, and discharging them fully really harms them. How much truth is there to all these claims?

(3) I have since purchased a new 3rd party tri-power generator. Here is a link to what I've purchased: https://www.costco.com/.product.100840185.html I had initially assumed that since the generator had a household female plug and the charging cord for a Delta Pro has a male household plug that I could just plug the Delta Pro into the generator and charge it up that way. I have since read (in the Delta pro manual no less) that charging the unit with AC should only be done with the provided cord, and then only by plugging it into a household outlet supplied by power company. So...

(3a) Can an extension cord be used to lengthen the (fairly short) supplied power cord?

(3b) Is there a way to charge the EcoFlow Delta Pro using a 3rd party Generator? (No, I don't want to use the EcoFlow gasoline powered "smart" generator--I don't want to use gasoline at all except as a last choice.)

(4) I'm certainly not the first person to ask all these questions. Is there a List of FAQ somewhere for EcoFlow Delta Pro units, and EcoFlow products in general?

Thanks in advance for any information.

...William

Hi everyone,

I'm a new EcoFlow Delta Pro owner and in my initial testing of my Delta Pro I've come up with a few burning questions:
(1) I read that it isn't proper to charge the Delta Pro to 100% and store it fully charged. Naturally, many people want to use the unit as a back-up if there is an interruption in the power grid. How full can a Delta Pro be charged safely and without degrading the battery. What is the optimum % of power to store. (IIRC, the user manual says that while being stored, every 3 months the battery should be discharged to 30% and recharged up to 60% or more.)
For LFP, if you are trying to really baby the battery, 70% is the golden spot for storage. For a minor increase in degradation rate, you can store it at 90% (how I personally store mine) for more usable capacity at the ready. What matters more is storage temperature. Keep them indoors, as high temperatures will degrade the batteries more quickly. With that said, with normal storage and usage, the rest of the system will likely give out before the battery cells.

(2) I've read that charging "rechargeable things" up faster degrades the battery faster. Likewise charging things up fully degrades the battery faster, and discharging them fully really harms them. How much truth is there to all these claims?
It's true about fast charging. Again, it comes down to heat. Fast charging produces more heat, and heat degrades batteries faster. Don't be afraid to use it, but personally I slow charge when I'm not in a hurry (which usually I'm not).

You can absolutely do 100%-0% discharges. LFP is well suited for that. There is no harm doing so, just don't leave it at 100% or 0% for very long. This is true for all LFP batteries, not just the DP.

(3) I have since purchased a new 3rd party tri-power generator. Here is a link to what I've purchased: https://www.costco.com/.product.100840185.html I had initially assumed that since the generator had a household female plug and the charging cord for a Delta Pro has a male household plug that I could just plug the Delta Pro into the generator and charge it up that way. I have since read (in the Delta pro manual no less) that charging the unit with AC should only be done with the provided cord, and then only by plugging it into a household outlet supplied by power company. So...
You can use any charging cord with the appropriate wire gauge. They say to use the included cord because they don't want you to use some random tiny cord you have and cause a fire. The stock cord is 14 AWG.

As for the power requirement, the recommendation is to use an inverter generator. I already knew it's the Firman unit before I opened your link. It will work in a pinch, but it's harder on the DP due to the Firman's high THD. So go ahead and use it in an emergency, but I would use grid power to recharge when that is available.

(3a) Can an extension cord be used to lengthen the (fairly short) supplied power cord?
Yes, again, use the appropriate gauge. For up to 50 ft, you can use a 12 AWG extension cord.

(3b) Is there a way to charge the EcoFlow Delta Pro using a 3rd party Generator? (No, I don't want to use the EcoFlow gasoline powered "smart" generator--I don't want to use gasoline at all except as a last choice.)
Sure, any inverter generator will work. Personally I have a Honda EU2200i.

(4) I'm certainly not the first person to ask all these questions. Is there a List of FAQ somewhere for EcoFlow Delta Pro units, and EcoFlow products in general?
No FAQ, but the official community is pretty active:

Thanks in advance for any information.

...William

What does Firman high ""THD " stand for? I have both a Honda 3000 and the Firman dual fuel to charge my Delta Pro if power grid goes down...

Just found out my Firman Dual Fuel from Costco has a low THD! Woohoo

Back