diy solar

diy solar

New Enphase System from Saints And LSU Country

el-guapin

Trust no One
Hello to all!!...
I Been lurking this forum for a while. Started out in the Tesla forum as I originally wanted that system but the horror stories about customer service and, at the time, the looong wait time for PowerWalls made me look at other systems. I ended up selecting Enphase. Six months and one Hurricane (Ida) later, my system is live.
8.76kW PV System - 24 LG NeON2 Panels, 24 Enphase IQ7+ Microinverters, - 2x IQ10 Batteries, IQ Combiner 3C, IQ System Controller.

2.jpg

1.jpg
5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! That's a nice looking setup.

Bet the neighbors are asking about it! FPL's fuel prices went up +60% since last year here, so the $/kWh went up and that'll probably get more people thinking about solar.

What's the NetMeter agreement like there?

That one panel with lower output than the rest...does it have partial shading during the day (possibly a leaf fell on it)? There was a ~200 watt difference between the output from my lowest to my highest yesterday, but I know my lowest panel gets a bit of shade this time of the year.

If no shade and it's consistently low you might check the microinverter logs to see if it's getting errors (I use a JSON formatter in notepad++ to make it more readable and highlight the panel serial number so I can quickly skim what that panel is doing). It's not uncommon to have a "No Grid Profile" set/clear message every couple of days, but if one microinverter out of 24 is doing it repeatedly multiple times per day then it might be a problem. Might also check it's on the same s/w revision.

If not, it might be a panel issue (if you or a friend has a FLIR that can spot problems too). I love my Neons, I've always been impressed on well they do even on rainy days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight!.. that panel and the one at the other end have whirlybirds next to them . So each will have slightly lower outputs in the AM and PM. Interest for solar has gone up since the hurricane. One of my neighbors is already getting a system built. The NEM here sucks. You buy higher but sell much much lower. Something like $0.12 to $0.004.

Very impressive setup! Bring on the storms!

I'm impressed with the ability to monitor individual panels. Too cool

I'm in east Texas and we had our system fully functioning during the big storm. Talk about rewarding- sitting in our 72 degree living room watching 13" of snow fall while my griddie friends were suffering. I felt horrible but there wasn't much i could do to help. So I drank hot cocoa and fed the birds.

Good on you for getting ready for the inevitable issues with the power grid in this part of the world!

Nice looking stuff --- Where you at ---- I live in East Baton Rouge now --- I grew up off Cleary Ave

Very impressive setup! Bring on the storms!

I'm impressed with the ability to monitor individual panels. Too cool

I'm in east Texas and we had our system fully functioning during the big storm. Talk about rewarding- sitting in our 72 degree living room watching 13" of snow fall while my griddie friends were suffering. I felt horrible but there wasn't much i could do to help. So I drank hot cocoa and fed the birds.

Good on you for getting ready for the inevitable issues with the power grid in this part of the world!
Good stuff!.. Since the system was brought online, have had 5 power outages ranging from 30mins to 3 hours. Did not know about them until the I received the "system off grid" notification. The switchover was instant. No light flickering!.

Took a page out @svetz playbook and moved the zigbee dongle out of the Combiner box and closer to the batteries in an attempt to increase the signal strength between the batteries and the envoy in the Combiner Box.
Here is where a I mounted the weatherproof box with zigbee inside.

1647526879178.jpeg

Here is where the box, batteries are in relation to the envoy in the Combiner Box.

1647526960744.jpeg
Now the signal strength on the batteries is 4 bars out of 5. Before it was 2 bars out of 5 on all. The system Controller is 3 bars out 5. Before it was 4 bars out of 5. Hopefully this is the end of those pesky mod gone alerts!.

Last edited:
Had my highest daily output so far a few days ago….
1654144767342.jpeg
1654145059432.jpeg
I want to add another battery but think I will wait out till the year is up.

Hello to all!!...
I Been lurking this forum for a while. Started out in the Tesla forum as I originally wanted that system but the horror stories about customer service and, at the time, the looong wait time for PowerWalls made me look at other systems. I ended up selecting Enphase. Six months and one Hurricane (Ida) later, my system is live.
8.76kW PV System - 24 LG NeON2 Panels, 24 Enphase IQ7+ Microinverters, - 2x IQ10 Batteries, IQ Combiner 3C, IQ System Controller.

View attachment 70313

Can you describe all of these components briefly
Label the components. Ime trying to figure it out to compare what I would add next and how it connects.

Thanks for the link! The zigbee changes look good. How's your dongle alteration doing?

So, now you've had your system for a year.. what do you think? Anything you'd wish you'd done differently? Or will change when you can get to it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! The zigbee changes look good. How's your dongle alteration doing?

So, now you've had your system for a year.. what do you think? Anything you'd wish you'd done differently? Or will change when you can get to it?
Signal strengths to batteries improved and remains strong.
1667098035098.png
No more Zigbee comms failures!
As for the system, I wish I would have purchased more panels but at the time that was not possible. During this past summer, the production was a bit lower than consumption due to the AC being on all the time every day. The batteries would get topped off by noon and very little would go back to the grid. At night the batteries would hit the reserve (40%) around 10PM. Now that summer is over and the AC is not being used as much, production is a lot higher than consumption. The batteries are still topped off by noon but a whole lot is exported to the grid. The batteries now last from 5PM to around 6AM. The only downsize is my grid provider eliminated 1:1 NET metering so exporting to the grid cost a lot less than importing.

I plan on adding another battery and installing it myself. I Hope to have it ready by the start of next summer. Will see how that goes.

For those interested, here the release notes for the latest Enphase IQ Gateway Firmware (7.3.517):

Attachments

• IQ Gateway software release notes (7.3.517).pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
Back