diy solar

diy solar

Solved: Epever 4210AN not connecting to laptop

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
Edit 2/17/23
probably should have started a new thread for the issues I posted for a couple of years later. But the original post here may still be useful to folks. My laptop stopped working with Epever Solar Station software and after a week I have given up and am now successfully use the Bluetooth dongle.

Very excited to install my new 4210AN
Now deflated that the software installed on a basic Onn Win10s laptop that shows com3 for the RS485/usb cable will not ‘see’ the controller

I used to know my way around a computer but I stopped paying attention about 15/20 years ago. (cont’d below)

image.jpg

Any suggestions? Epever’s ‘support’ has no information with frequent probs answered etc.

I manually got it set to ‘flooded’ with the buttons but the other stuff I’d like to go over. It seems simple but maybe it’s not? I’d just like a 40A MPPT the programs as easily and records data as nicely as the WindyNation P30L pwm I’ve used for the last three years and I thought this was it.

ya, I’m frustrated right now

thanks for any help

Mark
N Vermont

Last edited:
I am at work now and can provide more information when I am at home. Did you look at the install document? You need to make sure the port settings (in Windows) are configured for the proper port type (RS485 or not) and the baud rate is set the same for the power and then also in the monitor software.

Then in the monitor software, you have to have it to include your device in the list of devices that it monitors.

Dan

Wish I kept notes, did it years ago.
Key is to confirm communication by reading Parameters (P) -> Device ID, the simpler the better.
Set serial port to COM1, 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity

I had to change some W10 settings for com port. Had to restart and reconnect too.

Wish I kept notes, did it years ago.
Key is to confirm communication by reading Parameters (P) -> Device ID, the simpler the better.
Set serial port to COM1, 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity

I had to change some W10 settings for com port. Had to restart and reconnect too.
So even though the computer flashed that it recognized a new device on com3 I should set it to com1?
I am at work now and can provide more information when I am at home. Did you look at the install document?
Then in the monitor software, you have to have it to include your device in the list of devices that it monitors.

Dan
A) I have my setup data entered for the PV outfit as installed, it’s just not communicating

B) I will try to find the ‘install document’ unless you mean the austere tiered file that came in the 40MB .zip then I have that.

So even though the computer flashed that it recognized a new device on com3 I should set it to com1?

A) I have my setup data entered for the PV outfit as installed, it’s just not communicating

B) I will try to find the ‘install document’ unless you mean the austere tiered file that came in the 40MB .zip then I have that.
Use whatever Com port# that works. That is local to your PC.

the last part is interesting:
virtual serial ports on W10

Ok - do I’m exploring and maybe I’ll figure it out with the info provided here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 44
Baud was 9600 on the W10S baloney.
set to 115200, it still said COM3 was being used. Restarted like a Win3.1 machine and...

thank you very much. I’d have never thought it was on the PC end of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28
Baud was 9600 on the W10S baloney.
set to 115200, it still said COM3 was being used. Restarted like a Win3.1 machine and...

thank you very much. I’d have never thought it was on the PC end of it
You are welcome. I have set up 3 of them now and am starting to know what to look for. I have two of them on the same shared cable/port. I have an old junker laptop in the garage and use Remote Desktop to monitor from my PC in the house.

Well I was getting skeptical on the mppt as the numbers were low. Never see the 11-15A I did with the P30L pwm controller.

Last week we had several cloudy days and 8” total of snow which of course I brushed off the panels. From the last 3 years I know three cloud days would deplete the batteries to where the coffeemaker wouldn’t run. But I have come home to 12.9-13.4V every day. The mppt is doing its job and WELL. Amazed at how much better it is when clouded over!

Well I was getting skeptical on the mppt as the numbers were low. Never see the 11-15A I did with the P30L pwm controller.

Last week we had several cloudy days and 8” total of snow which of course I brushed off the panels. From the last 3 years I know three cloud days would deplete the batteries to where the coffeemaker wouldn’t run. But I have come home to 12.9-13.4V every day. The mppt is doing its job and WELL. Amazed at how much better it is when clouded over!
Coffee maker....critical load. Makes sense.

It is for sure :)

I’m a little ‘critical’ sometimes of people that need 5kWh every day. I guess if you have an electric hot water heater... and five people and TVs LOL

...but I have my own power dependence with the 600W coffeemaker....

Update - it’s still working.
But I have to establish a clean powerdown and reboot to reconnect every day if I close the laptop. So that’s annoying.
Additionally it seems that I cannot change some parameters without starting a new connection or ‘system.’ Many fields are grayed (not active) like max boost voltage, for example.
I have not played with it yet but it seems to me that I could save the profile, modify the values (easy enough to figure out the fields), and then import that profile- but that is annoying, too.
sortofish clunky imho. But the controller is running fine.

Update - it’s still working.
But I have to establish a clean powerdown and reboot to reconnect every day if I close the laptop. So that’s annoying.
Additionally it seems that I cannot change some parameters without starting a new connection or ‘system.’ Many fields are grayed (not active) like max boost voltage, for example.
I have not played with it yet but it seems to me that I could save the profile, modify the values (easy enough to figure out the fields), and then import that profile- but that is annoying, too.
sortofish clunky imho. But the controller is running fine.
I don't have access to look right now but be sure you have the battery type right for user controlled settings. Also, after opening the parameters window, Read in from the system, change, and then Update. You might be doing that already but it sounds like you are having troubles that I don't have. I have two chargers on a shared cable. If I pick the one I want, then do Read....etc, I normally don't have to restart the program. I do have the computer set to not go to sleep.

My settings are all good except for when I added another battery I was not able to change that setting. I don’t know if 400 vs 500 Ah actually changes anything though.

And that’s when I noticed most of the boxes were grayed/not active.
It’s working fine on the settings I entered when I first added the ‘new connection’ but I’m annoyed at the app.

Have the same problem with my EPEVER 2210AN setup. Could not connect to pc--Windows11. Tried above conversation--changing the baud to 115k, yet same issue.. Even installed a driver for CH343. Nothing happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-21 104048.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-21 104048.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 22
Got it solved. Thanks. I did not change or check anything in the Device Manager. I just assigned the proper Port configuration in the Epever app. Solved

Quick comment here - when Windows flashed that a COM device was active, that was Windows recognizing the USB converter you plugged in. The serial side still needed to be configured. But looks like you got things figured out. USB-Serial stuff can be is a pain.

Hi comunity would love it if someone can help having the same problem have set everything up read this forum and others but when i put cable in push the read button it says operation fail getting rater desperiate the guys at epever got back to me a couple of times with a nice email and now don''t want to answer another email any ideas would be good i am now wondering if one of the 2 spade fuses inside my 4210 need replacing does anyone now what they do aparently the good people at epever have chosen to solder them in so i cant take them out to check them

Back