diy solar

diy solar

New ford lightning

50 Amp circuit at 40 Amps continuous is 9.6kW per hour. I don't know the capacity of the onboard charger in the Lightning but even at increased consumption towing a trailer that is not a trivial amount of kWhs overnight.
98 or 131 kWh battery. OP said long range so 131 kWh.

Onboard charger will take up to 80 amps needing 100 amp supply to go full power. The included mobile cord is good for 30 amps or 7.2 kW.

The included mobile cord is good for 30 amps or 7.2 kW.
Assuming pulling a trailer might consume a kWh every two miles, that is 140 miles overnight. Not bad considering it takes ten seconds to plug in. Maybe 30 seconds at an RV park because you have to get the cable out and plug it into the pedestal.

Just for giggles, I charged my 2019 Nissan Leaf SV+ from my trailer. It was just a 110v AC connection. The sun was out, middle of the day, maybe a little hazy. The 640 watts of panels (mounted horizontal on the roof of the trailer) were producing about 550 watts after I cleaned them. The remaining load came from the 560 Ah battery bank, which started at 100% state of charge. I stopped charging the car after less than three hours when the battery bank got down to 39%. I think I got maybe 10 miles added to the car.

The point of the test wasn't to actually charge the car. I was stress testing my Victron Multiplus 12/3000, which came through with flying colors.

To really charge the car in a boondocking situation, I would need a lot more PV (like three times what I have now) and an inverter that produces 220v AC at 50 amps.

Campgrounds are eventually going to get wise to EV charging. Many of the older campgrounds likely have an electrical system that can't handle the load.

Campgrounds are eventually going to get wise to EV charging
Yes, six years ago before the DC fast charging network was built out I was pulling a trailer down the coast and had to make a stop at an RV park and was fortunate to find the volunteer manager was very agreeable to letting me use one of the 14-50 pedestals for free to charge enough to get to the next DC fast charger. A year or two later I got refused entry to a private park to charge there even after I offered to pay a use fee. Fortunately with lots of DC fast chargers that has not become an issue for me. Many parks have 30 or 40 Amp pedestals but I would guess the loads are small throughout the park.

Last edited:
Back