diy solar

diy solar

New From Florida

Marsh68

Hi everyone. Just joined. Are there many Florida members here? I'm having a tough time getting much info on codes and requirements where I'm at. I spoke with the county building department, code enforcement and licensing trying to obtain any restrictive requirements with installing DIY solar. They only quote the NEC 2017 guidelines. The local solar contractors all push microinverters and most tell me I must have a "certified" solar contractor to any solar installs. The county just says I need a licensed electrical contractor and architectural engineer for permitting. I built my own house in 2005 and guest house in 2007. Has anyone in south Florida build there own string inverter system themselves successfully? Mainly Martin County. I'm in a rural area so there's no space or easement issues. I have no issues hiring an electrical contractor, I just want to use equipment "I" pick out and have input on design. Any info with experience in this area would be great. (I was an industrial electrician for 15 yrs before I moved to industrial controls for the last 15 yrs)

Hi everyone. Just joined. Are there many Florida members here? I'm having a tough time getting much info on codes and requirements where I'm at. I spoke with the county building department, code enforcement and licensing trying to obtain any restrictive requirements with installing DIY solar. They only quote the NEC 2017 guidelines. The local solar contractors all push microinverters and most tell me I must have a "certified" solar contractor to any solar installs. The county just says I need a licensed electrical contractor and architectural engineer for permitting. I built my own house in 2005 and guest house in 2007. Has anyone in south Florida build there own string inverter system themselves successfully? Mainly Martin County. I'm in a rural area so there's no space or easement issues. I have no issues hiring an electrical contractor, I just want to use equipment "I" pick out and have input on design. Any info with experience in this area would be great. (I was an industrial electrician for 15 yrs before I moved to industrial controls for the last 15 yrs)
I wouldnt trust what the installers are telling you. They want your money. Are you looking to grid-tie? where will the panels be mounted? that may be the difference between needing permit and not. That said, there are plenty of people more knowledgable about this than me, here. You'll be able to find the answers or guidance you need.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat and looking for similar answers. I'm in the NW of Florida in Santa Rosa County and they said I need an electrical permit (which is easy) and a building permit since I'm doing ground mount, which requires engineered plans, and that's where I'm running in to issues.

I initially wanted a UPS setup for my new AC system but now I see I could save quite a bit with a 10k panel setup. I have an Emporia power monitor system which is awesome by the way, and have a very good idea how much power I use and from which circuits. I didnt really care about grid-tie, buy it seems that could be extra savings. Still not sure how i want to mount the panels. I could go either way. I have lots of options.
I wouldnt trust what the installers are telling you. They want your money. Are you looking to grid-tie? where will the panels be mounted? that may be the difference between needing permit and not. That said, there are plenty of people more knowledgable about this than me, here. You'll be able to find the answers or guidance you need.

Its all about the wind here in Charlotte County Fl. I would do a ground mount purchased from a company that will give you all of the engineering and installation documents.

many counties in florida require ALL solar installation to be done by a "licensed solar engineer"..the joy of increased gov regulations in all areas.
If you want to try and do it on your own you have to have all plans "signed" by the same said people...

I'm fortunate that NW Florida doesn't seem to require a licensed solar engineer, but they do want engineered plans. I'm wondering if I can adapt the Tamarack plans to accommodate for using top rail alone and not use their proprietary and expensive rails.

I did a 10 k grid tie as owner builder a few years ago. I did have an engineer do the plans and went through FSEC for certification. I also had to deal with the power company and their silly agreement. Put it up myself and had it inspected by County. No real issues. Now if you are wanting to do a AliExpress special you probably will not be able to get product approvals, UL listing and not legally be able to have it. I am in the Sanford Orlando area.

I did a 10 k grid tie as owner builder a few years ago. I did have an engineer do the plans and went through FSEC for certification. I also had to deal with the power company and their silly agreement. Put it up myself and had it inspected by County. No real issues. Now if you are wanting to do a AliExpress special you probably will not be able to get product approvals, UL listing and not legally be able to have it. I am in the Sanford Orlando area.
We've done a couple here in the past few years and the only thing they originally required was an electrical permit and inspection, but I guess they recently changed it to require a building permit for the actual mounting system. I don't think UL is required so much as just making sure it can survive 130 MPH winds.

AFAIK in Florida you can install your own microinverters... but some inverter companies might void the warranty if not "professionally" installed. Typically those vendors offer "installation" courses so the DIYer isn't out of luck.

Do you mind if we ask how much the plans with the engineer cost?

I do not remember now. It was a few years ago. I think like $1500 plus permit fees. Maybe $600 including the FSEC. Not sure what they are now.

Hi All

New to the forum and was going to make a general post but found this which seems to be Florida specific already. I'm looking for a company to draw a plan set so I can mount my solar panels on the roof of my home. I have an off-grid system for emergence and power outages of which we get a lot. I'm feed up of having to lay the panels out on the ground and wire it all up. Really want them up on the roof out of the way with the DC cables dropped into the garage where I can plug them into my solar generator when needed.

Can anyone recommend an engineer or planner Florida registered that can do this, I have emailed several online company's with no response back at all, I recently saw greenlancer.com mentioned on here and made a request for a plan set last week but as yet no reply or email acknowledgment.

Thanks

In General, to do a system yourself you have two classes of concerns, the electrical and the mechanical.

Electrical:

In Florida you need to meet NEC 2017 rules ( NEC 2020 is coming soon ), which the primary concern is rapid shutdown and all listed UL components, this is why most installers use Enphase as the DC conductors never leave the panels. There is also the use of conduits, breakers and such that you need to have an understanding of the building codes, proper roof exit materials ect.

Mechanical:

All of Florida is in high wind load region, so you are going to have to use listed racking, I recommend IronRidge products, they have all the required code listing and design data needed for a PE to do the calculations for wind loads. in addition their mounting is first rate and the penetrations are a patented sealing system, no sealants are used which would degrade in our climate.

I used SolarDesignTool for the electrical and Ironridge tool with photos of the roof rafters for the initial proposed designs that were then given electronically ( pdf ) to Green lancer's, whom has contracted PE's wet stamp plans and approval letter that was provided to the county to have a permit issued.

Mind you have have built solar ( permitted ) on 3 different properties over the last 20 years, have designed and built my own homes. Even with all that I know, it is a challenge working with the county building departments as they expect you to know everything a licenced installer does, it's not their job to train homeowners.

So it can be done, but you have to educate yourself on what it all entails, or just hire a local solar outfit and if you desire have the equipment you would like to use as part of the bid.

In General, to do a system yourself you have two classes of concerns, the electrical and the mechanical.

Electrical:

In Florida you need to meet NEC 2017 rules ( NEC 2020 is coming soon ), which the primary concern is rapid shutdown and all listed UL components, this is why most installers use Enphase as the DC conductors never leave the panels. There is also the use of conduits, breakers and such that you need to have an understanding of the building codes, proper roof exit materials ect.

Mechanical:

All of Florida is in high wind load region, so you are going to have to use listed racking, I recommend IronRidge products, they have all the required code listing and design data needed for a PE to do the calculations for wind loads. in addition their mounting is first rate and the penetrations are a patented sealing system, no sealants are used which would degrade in our climate.

I used SolarDesignTool for the electrical and Ironridge tool with photos of the roof rafters for the initial proposed designs that were then given electronically ( pdf ) to Green lancer's, whom has contracted PE's wet stamp plans and approval letter that was provided to the county to have a permit issued.

Mind you have have built solar ( permitted ) on 3 different properties over the last 20 years, have designed and built my own homes. Even with all that I know, it is a challenge working with the county building departments as they expect you to know everything a licenced installer does, it's not their job to train homeowners.

So it can be done, but you have to educate yourself on what it all entails, or just hire a local solar outfit and if you desire have the equipment you would like to use as part of the bid.
Thank you for responding to my questions - in fact I just managed to get my permit approved for my off grid system just a couple of weeks ago here in Orlando !!!

On to the next steps of hardware & installation, your information is greatly received and I will take on board. I did choose Ironridge products. Many more questions to come I feel.

Back