diy solar

diy solar

New ground rack install 2x 6PV

rogerius

I'm completely off grid and "hungry" for solar power so I decided this summer to invest in a new array; this time mounted on the ground. The first array which I built couple years ago was installed on top of the barn but quite a challenge to keep the snow off during the winter. Our location get a lot of snow in the winter so sometime the array stay covered 3-4 days.

I attached couple pictures with the hope to inspire others. As can be seen, the design is very simple: all supporting profile are 3x3 HSS with couple 2" pipes welded on a central beam which is pivoting in the middle in a Y shape formed with a snug fit. The 6x 335W PV are attached to a aluminum extrusion purchased from a local supplier. The adjustment element is a tractor top link and the adjustment range is 20 to 60deg. I'm adjusting it every month just for optimization but the goal is to have it at the angle which the snow will slide easy during the winter.

The mother nature tested so far in a 60Km/h wind and no deflection or movement was observed. Each of the posts is 4ft in the ground.

5.jpg4.5.jpg4.jpg3.5.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm completely off grid and "hungry" for solar power so I decided this summer to invest in a new array; this time mounted on the ground. The first array which I built couple years ago was installed on top of the barn but quite a challenge to keep the snow off during the winter. Our location get a lot of snow in the winter so sometimes the array stay covered 3-4 days.

I attached couple pictures with the hope to inspire others. As can be seen, the design is very simple: all supporting profile are 3x3 HSS with couple 2" pipes welded on a central beam which is pivoting in the middle in a Y shape form with a snug fit. The 6x 335W PV are attached to a aluminum extrusion purchased from a local supplier. The adjustment element is a tractor top link and the adjustment range is 20 to 60deg. I'm adjusting it every month just for optimization but the goal is to have it at the angle which the snow will slide easy during the winter.

The mother nature tested so far in a 60Km/h wind and no deflection or movement was observed. Each of the posts are 4ft in the ground.

View attachment 68830View attachment 68831View attachment 68832View attachment 68834View attachment 68835View attachment 68836View attachment 68837
Are this home made? Did you need to pass a county inspection?

Back