diy solar

diy solar

New Guy, Off Grid in Baja, replacing old 12V system.

BajaCasa

Hi all, I’m here to learn and appreciate all ideas and recommendations.
My parents gave me our family beach house in Mexico about 6 years ago and I have been putting off updating the old “last century” 12V system, but it is time, even though it will only be used twice a year, maybe 4 weeks out of the year total. My wife and I still work, hopefully we will be able to stay longer soon!
Anyways the next trip down will be in April 2022 and hopefully I’ll have what I need by then. I know roughly what I want, just not sure about the best way to get there.
We don’t have anything major, one energy efficient refrigerator, one TV, lights, fans, coffee pot and will use a microwave and blow dryer now and then. I also have large Honda generator for back up.
I have decided to go with a 24V system capable of handling maybe up to 2000W of solar panels, I will start with 1000W of new panels and add panels as required.
I have 4 new Deka GC15’s from my last trip and will add 4 more this trip. After these 8 are used up I plan to upgrade to larger Rolls L16 batteries as required.
I would like to go with the simplicity and relatively inexpensive hybrid inverter, just not sure if it will last in the heat and humidity that come during the summer down there?
I have been looking at the MPP Solar LV2424 and the Midnight Solar MN3024DIY
I’m just winging it at this point, I’m not totally sure if either of these can handle up to 2000W of panels?
I’m planning on new solar panel wiring also and will need to figure the right gage, I’m guessing at this point 10G photovoltaic wire, the run length is around 30’
The existing battery cables should be fine I believe, I’ll get new wire from the batteries to the inverter and I imagine the wire to the breaker box will be ok but I didn’t really check it and not sure what gage it should be yet. I also will make sure to have the proper breakers for the positive line from the batteries and panels.
I have a lot to learn and I’m not against separate inverter/charger especially ones with a track record of longevity.
I’m not sure the best places to buy most of the stuff especially the solar panels for good prices.
The only thing I would like to save from the old 12V system is 4 - 125W panels that are in great working order, some one told me I should be able to rewire them and run them into the old controller and they should work with the new system??? The old controller is a Xantrex if that helps.

I might consider just building on a 48v battery platform (requires smallest cable size)...

SanTan Solar is a great place to buy solar panels for good prices. I prefer largest watt panels like 405w, as a pallet of those is cheaper overall, since freight is the same for 405w vs 200w for example, you get more kW for the shipping cost just going with largest wattage and full pallet of 29.

If buying Growatt inverters, I would buy from Signature Solar. If buying MPP Solar brand, I would buy direct from MPP Solar in Taiwan, email Peggy@mppsolar.com (they have fast DHL shipping), that's where I bought my LV6548's.... I recommend using only stackable inverters so the system can expand in the future if you ever need more.

Do you need split-phase, 240v/120v? Or just 120v for use in Mexico?

For MPP, LVX6048 might be a good single inverter split-phase 240v/120v all-in-one, or a pair of LV6548s if you need 240v/120v, or just a single LV6548 if you only need 120v...

On Growatt, the SPF 5000 ES is a good model for 240v only, but you'd need the one where Signature Solar sells it with an auto-transformer in order to get 240v/120v split-phase...

Batteries, I prefer to DIY using LFP 280ah cells from USA or direct from China seller (for best price), with your own good BMS like JBD BMS for example, or if you want turn-key battery solution, use like a GYLL or something.

Watch lots of You Tube videos on the prospective equipment you are looking at, to see others own implementations of it first, before sinking your cash on a component.

Ask lots of questions here if you are uncertain about something.

I would love to build a house in Mexico someday, my wife is from Jalisco. I hope you have lots of fun on your project!

Last edited:
If you stick around the US long enough it will be very similar to Mexico. No need to go to Mexico to live under government control, poverty and cartel drug rings. Coming soon to a neighbor near you! Sorry, just saying. I apologize for going off topic. I love the people, culture and family unity of Mexico and would love to build a house down there as well if it wasn’t for the fact that they don't allow non citizens to “own” any land.

Hi all, I’m here to learn and appreciate all ideas and recommendations.
My parents gave me our family beach house in Mexico about 6 years ago and I have been putting off updating the old “last century” 12V system, but it is time, even though it will only be used twice a year, maybe 4 weeks out of the year total. My wife and I still work, hopefully we will be able to stay longer soon!
Anyways the next trip down will be in April 2022 and hopefully I’ll have what I need by then. I know roughly what I want, just not sure about the best way to get there.
We don’t have anything major, one energy efficient refrigerator, one TV, lights, fans, coffee pot and will use a microwave and blow dryer now and then. I also have large Honda generator for back up.
I have decided to go with a 24V system capable of handling maybe up to 2000W of solar panels, I will start with 1000W of new panels and add panels as required.
I have 4 new Deka GC15’s from my last trip and will add 4 more this trip. After these 8 are used up I plan to upgrade to larger Rolls L16 batteries as required.
I would like to go with the simplicity and relatively inexpensive hybrid inverter, just not sure if it will last in the heat and humidity that come during the summer down there?
I have been looking at the MPP Solar LV2424 and the Midnight Solar MN3024DIY
I’m just winging it at this point, I’m not totally sure if either of these can handle up to 2000W of panels?
I’m planning on new solar panel wiring also and will need to figure the right gage, I’m guessing at this point 10G photovoltaic wire, the run length is around 30’
The existing battery cables should be fine I believe, I’ll get new wire from the batteries to the inverter and I imagine the wire to the breaker box will be ok but I didn’t really check it and not sure what gage it should be yet. I also will make sure to have the proper breakers for the positive line from the batteries and panels.
I have a lot to learn and I’m not against separate inverter/charger especially ones with a track record of longevity.
I’m not sure the best places to buy most of the stuff especially the solar panels for good prices.
The only thing I would like to save from the old 12V system is 4 - 125W panels that are in great working order, some one told me I should be able to rewire them and run them into the old controller and they should work with the new system??? The old controller is a Xantrex if that helps.
Hi Scott, if you’d like you can buy 275 watt panels in town for $225 and my neighbor Bob just bought his new batteries in San Diego for half of what Randy charges.
Steven

Oh, and to the original poster, regarding his last comment about wanting to retain the old 4x 125w panels. You may want to look at only using an inverter that has two (or more) PV inputs on it, so you can keep the 125w panels isolated on their own respective PV circuit, and all your new higher wattage panels on another PV input circuit. I would rather keep panels of like-wattage in symmetrical PV strings to keep it simple and predictable.

You will have to learn all the stuff about how to wire them best, as far as how many to string in series to get ideal max Voc, and paralleling those individual strings, to not go over charge controller max Voc rating than the PV input supports, etc...

This also plays an influence on inverter selection, as you want to make sure the inverter you select can support the number of panels you want to string in series (not to go over max Voc handling).

And as far as PV wire gauge, usually 10 awg can be fine and is commonly the largest size a solar panel MC4 connector supports, if you keep the Voc high enough on the circuit, you will not need larger cable than that (amps is lower as you use higher voltage on the PV run).

A good DC combiner box (like MidNite Solar or similar, with some DC spec breakers in it) gives a nice place to manage paralleling of individual series strings, and making transitions to larger cable sizes for the longer PV 'home run' if necessary.

Of course you need to figure out how many volts and amps you will flow max on the PV circuit (using the panel sticker rating and a little math) and use a good online wire gauge calculator and make sure you are sized fine on your cables (for the distance of the run), and use the proper fuse/circuit breaker protection to protect your wires from any potential fire hazard (in the event of a short or too high of current situation).

Last edited:
Thank you samsonite801, at least I’m understanding most of what your saying, I have to break it down and YouTube, like you suggested for much of it so I can learn to figure out the math mostly!
I know most home systems around me are 24V I haven’t thought much about going 48V I will look into it further.
All I need is 120V for the foreseeable future, pretty basic living down there, no air conditioning, hang the clothes to dry, ect.
I was hoping since I was going from a 12v system most of the existing wiring would be sized on the large side for 24v system, 48V would be even better then. If not at least the run is short to the breaker box and batteries. Just have to learn to figure the correct sizes.
I appreciate your help and will keep studying and asking questions.

Hi Steven, where are you getting panels in town? That sounds like a plan.
I think I’ll probably do the Duty paperwork on the rest and just pay duty going into Mexico, better than worrying crossing the boarder and checkpoint, my wife is by the book, lol.

I decided not to go with an all in one charger/inverter and will go with a more tried and true system. Like the above in the "DIY Solar Blueprints" the 4000 Watt, 24V off grid system. The only change I am making is instead of two 40 amp MPPT charge controllers, I am going with one Outback Flexmax 80 Amp.
I have a couple questions regarding the "Blueprints" and links that take you to Amazon and sizing links, a few things are not clear to me.
(1) Main component Hook-up wire is 2 awg. The battery to inverter cables call for 1/0 awg. then the battery wires are back to 2 awg.
Wouldn't using 2 awg. throughout be fine? doesn't matter? or what is very best?
(2) The other is fuse and breaker sizing? I'm probably not reading the link correctly to figure main fuse size (Batteries to Inverter), I come up with, from the link, needing a 300 Amp fuse? Other charts I have found call for a 150 Amp fuse? to be honest, my math sucks, if someone could let me know what to use? Same with the circuit breaker size for the Outback 80 Amp charge controller?
(3) I have seen other builds calling for a 30 Amp circuit breaker for the positive solar PV wire? Is that worthwhile or not needed on this build?
Thanks!
Scott

Back