diy solar

diy solar

New guy, simple switch questions

NewDCGuy

Good morning!

New to the forum and thought I could glean some knowledge from more experienced folks regarding 3 prong dc toggle switches.

I've whet my appetite re batteries, dc wiring and simple solar setups by recently undertaking a battery box build with a solar charge controller and some peripheral dc outlets (usb charger, cigarette lighters, led lighting, etc.).

I was planning to put a 3 prong toggle switch both between the battery and solar charge controller AND between the solar charge controller and the power posts where I plan to connect a simple 25w solar panel.

For the switch between the battery and the scc, would the in prong go to the battery or to the scc (or does it matter)? For the switch negative, I was planning to split the connection to the battery so the switch negative could just feed back that way. Also, if planning to put an in-line fuse in there, would it go on the in or the out (accessory) line?

For the switch between the power post (for solar hook up) and the scc, I ask the same questions as above just substitute the switch negative going to a split connection on the negative conductor between the negative scc and solar in line.

Thanks in advance for the help! Clearly a new member here with little to no experience. I tried searching the previous threads but didn't find anything but who knows, I may have been wrong there too so I apologize in advance.

I have one of these (bipolar DC breakers) between the panels and SCC and another between the battery and... everything else.
They act both as switches and fuses.

Screenshot_0304_162402.png
-

There are single pole and there are double pole switches. There are double throw and single throw switches. What do you want to use?

I had planned to use the same type of dc toggle switches I am using for turning on/off the accessories. There are 3 prongs at the back: neutral, power in and power out (to accessory)... spade connectors.

I had planned to use the same type of dc toggle switches I am using for turning on/off the accessories. There are 3 prongs at the back: neutral, power in and power out (to accessory)... spade connecto
Good morning!

New to the forum and thought I could glean some knowledge from more experienced folks regarding 3 prong dc toggle switches.

I've whet my appetite re batteries, dc wiring and simple solar setups by recently undertaking a battery box build with a solar charge controller and some peripheral dc outlets (usb charger, cigarette lighters, led lighting, etc.).

I was planning to put a 3 prong toggle switch both between the battery and solar charge controller AND between the solar charge controller and the power posts where I plan to connect a simple 25w solar panel.

For the switch between the battery and the scc, would the in prong go to the battery or to the scc (or does it matter)? For the switch negative, I was planning to split the connection to the battery so the switch negative could just feed back that way. Also, if planning to put an in-line fuse in there, would it go on the in or the out (accessory) line?

For the switch between the power post (for solar hook up) and the scc, I ask the same questions as above just substitute the switch negative going to a split connection on the negative conductor between the negative scc and solar in line.

Thanks in advance for the help! Clearly a new member here with little to no experience. I tried searching the previous threads but didn't find anything but who knows, I may have been wrong there too so I apologize in advance.
It would help if you would draw it on paper so I could follow it all to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Not really, but if you search with "taixi dc circuit breaker" and look at Images...
Removing "taixi" should return better ones, actually, I just had that pic because I used it to show someone the polarities on an almost identical one.
-

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a toggle switch rated at 100-200 amps DC. Most are 10 amps or less.

Reactions: Zil
Thanks guys. I got it all figured out. It was much more simple than I anticipated once I got the wiring started. The request for feedback was to get some others' thoughts for wiring.

I ended up throwing the inline fuses between the battery and the switch and between the solar input and the charge controller. I don't know if it would have made a difference at all as long as it's in there somewhere. Same went with the in and out part of the switches. For the battery switch I used the in connection from the battery and out to the load port of the controller. For the solar input I used in from the solar input and out to the controller. I did swap the in and out and it didn't seem to change anything, likely because it's just a simple dc toggle switch cutting the connection between in and out.

Hope that helps some other folks who are super new to it all!

Last edited:
OK. I hope you tell us what you did to solve this question.

Back