diy solar

diy solar

New Guy, Whole house solar DIY

You actually have a pretty reasonable electrical usage.

Is your goal:
1 Save Money
2 Go Green
3 Reliable power (grid goes down)

At $200-300 a month, it's going to take quite a while to get ROI, but if #2 and or 3 is your objective, then that really doesn't matter as much.
mostly #3. but all of the above really.

Its actually almost double of what it was (My In laws are staying in the MIL Suite this year)

In Oregon, my power is only 11c/kwh. At that rate my off-grid system is running a 24.015year rate of return 'at the moment' If you go off-grid w/battery etc as apposed to straight grid-tie, then it's more difficult to actually save $. However, prices are surely going to go up? :)
yeah power in Georgia is pretty cheap, but it will eventually go up

LOL! My system is currently at 51.9 years... But it was really fun to build and prevented me from having to hook into the grid, so totally worth it and someday I am actually going to power some real items off it other than a 5w porch light.

As to the prices going up, I don't know. Every good solar salesman will tell you that, but when I moved to Texas in 2006 the price for power was $.10/kwh. Now 15 years later the prices have sky rocketed up to $.10/kwh... Kind of a hard sale, unless you have another motive (green, reliability, hobby/fun, avoiding grid, etc.)
not gonna lie, It sounds like a great project so thats also part of it

Back