diy solar

diy solar

New guy

Spartaqus

Brand new to Solar, but watching Will Videos for over a year. I want to build a system ASAP. Home, backup for freezer and fridge is the scope, everything else is a bonus. The panels may have to be 50ft plus from the controller is my only challenge besides talent! :-0

Zero electrical background, but can follow a schematic.

On the fence with all in one, but my instincts are to go with “Large Van / RV or small cabin” on Wills home page.

With today’s environment / shipping / parts shortages does anyone have a 24 vs 48v suggestions? I would feel more comfortable with 24v, but if you can’t get the parts….!

Thanks to my fellow Preppers and Peeps,
Thank you Will, you are a blessing!

Last edited:
First thing to do is find out the locked rotor amps for each appliance it amps @ volts.
Second thing to do is found out the daily consumption for each appliance in watt hours.
Then we can size the inverter and battery bank.
Then we size the solar to keep the battery charged.

First thing to do is find out the locked rotor amps for each appliance it amps @ volts.
Second thing to do is found out the daily consumption for each appliance in watt hours.
Then we can size the inverter and battery bank.
Then we size the solar to keep the battery charged.
Very nice! Thank you.

Very nice! Thank you.
To be really honest, I just ordered a new freezer from Lowes, I couldn’t understand the data sheet. Not knowing electrical, my take on their sheet was it was more mumbo jumbo than real usable data!

To be really honest, I just ordered a new freezer from Lowes, I couldn’t understand the data sheet. Not knowing electrical, my take on their sheet was it was more mumbo jumbo than real usable data!
Please post the data sheet.
This tool can help with the daily usage in watt hours

This tool can show the in-rush current needed to get the compressors spinning.

I started out the same way. Small system to help in case of power outage for a few lights and fridge. Now it has grown to providing 80 percent or more for tvs, 2 fridge, 1 freezer, 2 ductless ac setups, all 110 lighting, well pump, microwave, washer, hot water heater, etc.

Will do, it may not be today though…..work calls!

For the the daily watt hours, load up the fridge and use it as normal.
Discard the first day's readings as they will be skewed as the appliances get down to a static temperature.

Brand new to Solar, but watching Will Videos for over a year. I want to build a system ASAP. Home, backup for freezer and fridge is the scope, everything else is a bonus. The panels may have to be 50ft plus from the controller is my only challenge besides talent! :-0

Zero electrical background, but can follow a schematic.

On the fence with all in one, but my instincts are to go with “Large Van / RV or small cabin” on Wills home page.

With today’s environment / shipping / parts shortages does anyone have a 24 vs 48v suggestions? I would feel more comfortable with 24v, but if you can’t get the parts….!

Thanks to my fellow Preppers and Peeps,
Thank you Will, you are a blessing!
This unit will work for you and easy to read and understand. It will track any electrical appliance that you plug into it. You can figure out usage for all of your 110 appliances. It will also give you amps/watts and volt draws on the appliances.

Back