diy solar

diy solar

New GYLL Batteries 24V Version C Communicating with Growatts!

We had mixed pictures, this was the cover picture, but others in the listing showed a breaker (our mistrake)
-The BMS inside has a superior OCD protection to a breaker as-is (see the David Poz video), we would suggest other OCD efforts go to a main breaker for the inverter.
-For anyone confused by this who has purchased we are offering $150 per pack to ensure you are more than rectified on your concern if you want to add an extra and redundant slow breaker, just call support and reference your 24v LCD order and this forum
1638386843149.png

James - Thanks for the call and the follow-up on the forum explaining things. It's precisely that kind of customer service that breeds repeat business - Myself included

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Joe. I did receive my 24v batteries. I seen the pics of the rack your putting together and it looks awesome! Also thank you for contributing to the forum the things you did to get comms going!

When I received my batteries I honestly just left them in the garage to deal with later. My batts are part of a Ambulance Overland build so I didnt need to fuss with them right away. That was until today... I went to download the manual from Signature Solar's website for 24v and low and behold there is no link for it, only the 48V manual is available.

I then called tech support which of course didn't answer (I only say this because of the 7 times I previously contacted tech support I received the same response, so I deem this systemic.

Upon looking at both of the 24v spec sheets I received it appears there are 2 versions of the GYLL battery. The older battery is known to them as the Lifepower battery and the new battery is the EG4LL battery.

So of course I was like "Rut Rogh! What the hell version do I have?" so I sped home to open the unopened battery boxes fearing I just spent six grand on some outdated stuff. Well it turns out they were true to their word and I have the EG4LL 24V Version C battery.

There are distinct differences between the battery you show in the pics and my battery. I had already purchased the 2 split phase Growatts from Ian so I purchased the EG4LLs because I was told the new versions were made to interface with the Growatt BMS's.

The long and short of it is there are many more features on my batteries than the ones you posted and I suspect my comms will be very different from yours. The Buletti like digital screen on the front is pretty different as well as the double lugs and additional RS45 type BMS direct ports. If I had a manual or time to tinker with them I'm sure I could figure it out.

Attached are the 2 different spec sheets I received from them which I cant find on the web (the EG4LL more specifically) and the photo of what I received.
Apparently the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries and the EG4-LL batteries have deferent front panel DIP Switches that are used to set the Comm. address.
This was brought to my attention by a comment on one of my video by Craig Cabrey . The most significant and the least significant are reversed on the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries so for a pack ID2 on EG4-LL batteries the switches would be down, down, up, down and the same switch setting for pack ID 2 on the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries set the batteries to pack ID of 12. Is it possible for a company to be any more HOSED and stay in business?
I have solved the Commutations issue that people have been experiencing with the Signature Solar EG4 LL 48 volt batteries with the LCD display. I have 4 of the EG4 LL 48 volt batteries all commutating with my laptop using the BMS TOOLs software. I am only using one USB to RS 485 adapter.
Part 1 of the video can be seen at:
The video is only 7:41 long but if you don't want to watch the entire video just jump to 3:05 and it will show you what I did to resolve it. I included a drawing of how I have it wired NOTE I had the connections to the USB to RS485 adapter reversed in the first video I have corrected it in the 2nd video.
Part 2 of the video can be seen at:

Back