diy solar

diy solar

New GYLL Batteries 24V Version C Communicating with Growatts!

Jerrys13

I was told by Signature Solar that the 200AH 24V batteries will have an LCD and will be able to communicate with any Growatt which is completely awesome if this is true. As of now there are no photos of this nor mention in any of Gylls paperwork. Also they say that the front panel will have a breaker like the 48V version. If all this comes to fruition, then it would be really hard to pass up for all the obvious reasons. I put my order in for 4 of the 24V with Signature despite the negativity. I expect to receive them in June / July timeframe. The new tech is pretty exciting and does somewhat come with taking a leap of faith with no specs or paperwork to review. My hats off to Will for making this venture time after time and then publicly sharing the results. Anyhoo getting closer to my 24KW mobile go anywhere / do anything machine!

That it will communicate with Growatt is great news if true. Interesting to find out if this is proprietary to Gyll or if the VGlory and other variants will have this ability.

I was told by Signature Solar that the 200AH 24V batteries will have an LCD and will be able to communicate with any Growatt which is completely awesome if this is true. As of now there are no photos of this nor mention in any of Gylls paperwork. Also they say that the front panel will have a breaker like the 48V version. If all this comes to fruition, then it would be really hard to pass up for all the obvious reasons. I put my order in for 4 of the 24V with Signature despite the negativity. I expect to receive them in June / July timeframe. The new tech is pretty exciting and does somewhat come with taking a leap of faith with no specs or paperwork to review. My hats off to Will for making this venture time after time and then publicly sharing the results. Anyhoo getting closer to my 24KW mobile go anywhere / do anything machine!
Did You get the new E4g - Growatt compatible Battery yet? My 48v 100ah E4G is scheduled to arrive tomorrow via UPS, thanks Joe.

Last edited:
I have two of these updated Gyll (48V G4) batteries, I also have a growatt 12K, I will have to connect these and see if it works or not.
Thanks keep me posted and I'll let You know how my 48v 100 e4g connects to Growatt 6k, this afternoon, it's out for delivery, praying they don't drop it, Joe.

I did not successfully connect my batteries to the Growatt inverter. I'm not certain that I did this correct either, did you have any luck?

@NewGuyNoob Yes, with battery off, set dip switch to battrery 1 (left to right down, down, down, up) straight rj45 cable from bms on growatt to rs485 port on e4g battery, then switch battery on and flip breaker on, set growatt setting 05 to LI (sili 1) - DON'T DISCONNECT CABLE FROM HERE ON OUT or growatt will shut down - error 20 - lost comms to bms. Sucks because you can no longer monitor battery with Bms_tools and you can NOT daisy chain other gyll batteries to e4g battery, but good Growatt software now reads correct soc, you can still daisy chain and monitor other gyll batteries tho, Joe.
1628264396878.png

Last edited:
@NewGuyNoob Yes, with battery off, set dip switch to battrery 1 (left to right down, down, down, up) straight rj45 cable from bms on growatt to rs485 port on e4g battery, then switch battery on and flip breaker on, set growatt setting 05 to LI (sili 1) - DON'T DISCONNECT CABLE FROM HERE ON OUT or growatt will shut down - error 20 - lost comms to bms. Sucks because you can no longer monitor battery with Bms_tools and you can NOT daisy chain other gyll batteries to e4g battery, but good Growatt software now reads correct soc, you can still daisy chain and monitor other gyll batteries tho, Joe.
View attachment 59058

Thanks, Joe!

I have two of these e4g batteries 48V. I did not have the settings correct in the growatt. I am communicating with the BMS now, thanks to you! I am still wating for my WiFi to be delivered.

Now that the protocol is known for the BMS communication, hopefully we can implement this into DIY Batteries /BMS builds.

I'm not completely clueless, I know enough about electricity not to stick a knife into a toaster.

I've seen videos of using a resister before hooking up a battery to an inverter so as not to blow out a capacitor (or some such thing, again remember I'm still holding the knife above the toaster slots). I can't find the video, but I thought I saw one where it was mentioned the 48v battery had a resister thingy built in to eliminate the (use resister first step) when hooking up the battery.

The question is, does the 24v model have the same functionality as the 48v? That in its self would be a big plus for someone like me who's more than likely to just slap the battery cables onto an inverter.

@wiseacre 12, 24, 48 - doesn't matter when hooking up inverter to battery, inrush current and spark are not good for the inverter or Smart batteries.
Have a 25 ohm 100 watt resistor hooked to momentary switch across beaker positive side and a 30 amp fuse across negative side, so when ready to energize 6000t Growatt I press momentary switch until lights start flashing on the inverter, then flip breaker to on position. In my case Smart batteries would see a momentary short and shut down, bypass switch with resistor fixed it, Joe.

Attachments

• 20210204_004552.jpg
    20210204_004552.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I'm not completely clueless, I know enough about electricity not to stick a knife into a toaster.

I've seen videos of using a resister before hooking up a battery to an inverter so as not to blow out a capacitor (or some such thing, again remember I'm still holding the knife above the toaster slots). I can't find the video, but I thought I saw one where it was mentioned the 48v battery had a resister thingy built in to eliminate the (use resister first step) when hooking up the battery.

The question is, does the 24v model have the same functionality as the 48v? That in its self would be a big plus for someone like me who's more than likely to just slap the battery cables onto an inverter.
David Poz mentioned that this battery already has a resistor built in. Not exactly sure how that works.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Joe. I did receive my 24v batteries. I seen the pics of the rack your putting together and it looks awesome! Also thank you for contributing to the forum the things you did to get comms going!

When I received my batteries I honestly just left them in the garage to deal with later. My batts are part of a Ambulance Overland build so I didnt need to fuss with them right away. That was until today... I went to download the manual from Signature Solar's website for 24v and low and behold there is no link for it, only the 48V manual is available.

I then called tech support which of course didn't answer (I only say this because of the 7 times I previously contacted tech support I received the same response, so I deem this systemic.

Upon looking at both of the 24v spec sheets I received it appears there are 2 versions of the GYLL battery. The older battery is known to them as the Lifepower battery and the new battery is the EG4LL battery.

So of course I was like "Rut Rogh! What the hell version do I have?" so I sped home to open the unopened battery boxes fearing I just spent six grand on some outdated stuff. Well it turns out they were true to their word and I have the EG4LL 24V Version C battery.

There are distinct differences between the battery you show in the pics and my battery. I had already purchased the 2 split phase Growatts from Ian so I purchased the EG4LLs because I was told the new versions were made to interface with the Growatt BMS's.

The long and short of it is there are many more features on my batteries than the ones you posted and I suspect my comms will be very different from yours. The Buletti like digital screen on the front is pretty different as well as the double lugs and additional RS45 type BMS direct ports. If I had a manual or time to tinker with them I'm sure I could figure it out.

Attached are the 2 different spec sheets I received from them which I cant find on the web (the EG4LL more specifically) and the photo of what I received.

Attachments

• 24V LIFEPOWER SPECS.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 24V EG4LL SPECS.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • g4ll.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 25
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Joe. I did receive my 24v batteries. I seen the pics of the rack your putting together and it looks awesome! Also thank you for contributing to the forum the things you did to get comms going!

When I received my batteries I honestly just left them in the garage to deal with later. My batts are part of a Ambulance Overland build so I didnt need to fuss with them right away. That was until today... I went to download the manual from Signature Solar's website for 24v and low and behold there is no link for it, only the 48V manual is available.

I then called tech support which of course didn't answer (I only say this because of the 7 times I previously contacted tech support I received the same response, so I deem this systemic.

Upon looking at both of the 24v spec sheets I received it appears there are 2 versions of the GYLL battery. The older battery is known to them as the Lifepower battery and the new battery is the EG4LL battery.

So of course I was like "Rut Rogh! What the hell version do I have?" so I sped home to open the unopened battery boxes fearing I just spent six grand on some outdated stuff. Well it turns out they were true to their word and I have the EG4LL 24V Version C battery.

There are distinct differences between the battery you show in the pics and my battery. I had already purchased the 2 split phase Growatts from Ian so I purchased the EG4LLs because I was told the new versions were made to interface with the Growatt BMS's.

The long and short of it is there are many more features on my batteries than the ones you posted and I suspect my comms will be very different from yours. The Buletti like digital screen on the front is pretty different as well as the double lugs and additional RS45 type BMS direct ports. If I had a manual or time to tinker with them I'm sure I could figure it out.

Attached are the 2 different spec sheets I received from them which I cant find on the web (the EG4LL more specifically) and the photo of what I received.
Just saw this post after posting a similiar question and or concern. No corre t user manual for the 24v 200Ah EG4-LL. Listening to you guys connecting the new EG4's to growatt inverters it sounds like a communication issue and what I'm guessing is the correct dip switch settings. As in the manual for the 24v 200ah it refers back to 48v dip switch settings?

That it will communicate with Growatt is great news if true. Interesting to find out if this is proprietary to Gyll or if the VGlory and other variants will have this ability.
Hi did you tried the vgloary BMS battery before with growatt 5000es?I am thinking to buy one to test?

Skid thanks for the information, I'll look into that vglory bms, if it worked for the growatt 5000 maybe it'll work for the 3000.

With regards to communication issues Joe BoyKey has a much better handle on this than I do, and I thank him for that. The dip switches only assign each individual battery BMS. Check Signature Solar's Youtube. They show one of the new EG4LL with e BMS display on the front, However they are using the Growatt 5000 in parallel. They talk about the $29.00 Hub port for multiple inverters but do not disclose if this hub is required for a series setup, let aloe a Growatt 3000TVL set up.

I am checking growatt 5000es menual pls make sure the con and rs pins are connected correctly and you assigned the correct potocol based on BYD function

Back