diy solar

diy solar

New Heliene vs used Santan?

worlock

Which panels would you suggest? Building a 48v off grid system and don't know if paying extra for the 370w with local pickup is worth the cost long term.

New 15 x Heliene 370w ($175/panel local pickup) = $2625.00

Used 15 x SanTan Solar 250w ($69/Panel + $350 Shipping) = $1385

Which panels would you suggest? Building a 48v off grid system and don't know if paying extra for the 370w with local pickup is worth the cost long term.

New 15 x Heliene 370w ($175/panel local pickup) = $2625.00

Used 15 x SanTan Solar 250w ($69/Panel + $350 Shipping) = $1385

I would say get the Heliene, the price per watt isn't that far off.

Last edited:
For ~ $0.20 watt more I'd buy new, coming from someone who bought used q cells.
You could buy 10 Heliene and have about the same output as used.

I went with used santan panels. Plan is to replace in 15 maybe 20 years, if the shtf, is over. They work well and mine were really cheap. Good Company To deal with.
I ordered a few extra, in case I or they broke some. Turns out the trucking co. Did it for me. Haha they refunded me the cost of panels and the portion of shipping.
For used panels, they are decent.
Lastly, the used panels have been in full use for 6 months and perform well.

Santan has been a good vendor.

Buy more watts. You were considering fewer watts for the used panels??

For the Heliene 370w, I don't see any resiliency ratings for wind load, snow load, or hail...is that a major concern for something like a Wisconsin climate? Or is it more likely that they would be fine and they just aren't rated?

I don't usually worry about the quality of weather resistance. I have yet to hear of weak panels. I'm sure we have quality issues in our future. Things like this are always lower quality as the demand for cheaper panels increases.
I bought commercial panels so I never thought about it.... time will tell

Back