diy solar

diy solar

*New* Inergy "Flex" Solar Generator

Well, a mechanical generator generates electricity from gas.

A solar panel generates electricity from solar energy.

This does neither.

I have been waiting for 2 additional batteries and the mppt charger for forever and I to keep getting the same excuses. I am sympathetic to the supply chain issues that the world is a whole is having but this is ridiculous. At this point I am to far in to do anything else and it seems that most of the other companies are having supply issues as well with their shipping dates. I will just wait and hopefully get my batteries and the mppt in the new date of April 2022 and I started all this back in may of 2020.
When I purchased my solar charger, I was told by tech support that the lithium batteries would be "shipping in a few weeks". That was May 2019. One of the company's execs put out a video towards the end of 2019 saying the lithium batteries would be "available in early 2020". During 2020, the company announced that my solar charger -- purchased solely because it was the only solar charger at the time that had lithium batteries ("shipping in a few weeks") -- would require an additional adapter (sold separately) to use the lithium batteries ("shipping in a few weeks"). Then began the series of delays due to various "parts shortages", Chinese new year holidays (two.........so far), wrong parts received, etc, etc. Now, of course, it's just the latest variant.

Like you, I am too far in to do anything but wait. Though, last I heard (October 2021), the missing adapter (paid for over a year ago) may be shipping in January. And January's just as likely as April. I just hope it's January of next year and, following the pattern, not 2023..........or 2024.......or......
But hope springs eternal. :whistle:

I finally received the Flex and within two weeks I was told by Inergy to test the battery pack position because it might have been damaged in shipping. I am within a 1/8 of an inch outside of spec. They told me NOT to use the unit and place the battery away from the house because it could be a fire hazard. I live in Maine. Where an I going to place it that it won't be buried in the snow in about two weeks.? I have contacted the repeatedly and I get all kind of different replies. The last was that they would be sending a tech to my house....last week...no one came. I wasn't really expecting anyone. DO NOT buy from this company unless you want to have a new boat anchor.
Well Inergy sent a repair guy to my house...from the office to the East Coast. The repair guy was very nice. Took my unit to the car and looked at the battery ...which was ok.. but added the brackets to it to fix the issue. So far so good. I am mindful of the latches not working but having a bundgy cord around it was bulky. I am looking for another fix for that problem. But all said it charged well and holds the charge better that the first charge. I am losing about 2% a week. I can live with that. I did also order a Titan.... that is coming this week. Ordered from Ben at Power Portable Solar and it shipped right on the date he told me it would... No fuss no mess. FedEx has me for dleivery day after tomorrow. Wish I just got the Titian first I would be way ahead.

Ugh. I got caught up gambling on this dumb product. After over a year of missed deadlines and messed up orders, I finally got my flex 1500 on Sep 14. Wouldn't you know it? The paper-thin latch that holds the module to the battery bent and broke immediately. I didn't even notice until I picked the unit up after doing the full charge. One side of the battery dropped and bent the other latch. Now the unit is stuck together with one bent latch. Because I couldn't detach the unit, they had to send me hazmat packaging to handle the unit as a whole. Of course, they messed up the paperwork so they had to also ship me new hazmat paperwork. The tracking number still shows it hasn't been shipped.

THIS IS A WARNING to anyone thinking about getting this unit: the 'quick start' paperwork says not to disconnect the units once connected. Now, I know this is because you run the risk of the tiny latches breaking anytime you connect the units. With that being said DO NOT get this unit if a selling point is to attach/detach batteries semi-frequently (or at all). You will probably (and quickly) break the latch and have a great time playing email tag with their support staff to get it replaced. Alternatively, you can, as they suggested to me, tie the unit together with a strap. I'm not kidding, this was an actual suggestion from them. I didn't wait 13 months to have to tie a product together with a strap like a bumper on an old jalopy.

Another thing to look out for, especially if you plan on having this in a van/RV with moving objects, is to be careful with the LCD screens. They have no protective glass over them and are completely exposed to damage.

What have I got myself into?
i spoke too soon in my earlier post and have now experienced the broken latch issue. The "lock" on one side became unlocked during transport (guessing I bumped it while carrying it???), and when I went to pick up the unit, one became detached, which lead to bending the latch on the opposite side. While attempting to straighten the bent tab, it broke. So I now have one functioning latch, and am using a small strap around the unit. Luckily no damage to the unit (other than the latch).

Yes, the latching system that attaches the batteries is junk. So far, no other issues and the unit is great aside from the latch.

Blows my mind that the latching system was approved. This is a failure by the design team, and the management who approved it. It's too bad because the unit is great other than this one issue. I will be cancelling my additional batteries that I have on order and look to see if / how they can address this issue.

Back