diy solar

diy solar

New Install Solar System

wingman4835

I am looking into a DYI install into my Solitude 380FL. I am starting out slow looking at 2 350w solar panels, a Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50, Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50, Victron Serbo GX with the GX Touch. I am looking to hear from anyone who has installed similar equipment that would share the experience and maybe some drawings used for the install. I am trying to see how all this will lay out in my rig and so on. Thanks. Tom

You are definitely not starting out slow with that setup.
When you get into victron equipment and start connecting GX devices that is more advanced.
What voltage battery bank are you planning on building?

two 12v Lithium 100 ah each. Right now I am looking to power the frig while traveling and a few devices if we stop somewhere for the night.

Fridge: is that a heater/emulsion “dual fuel” electric/propane model fridge? Or a traditional compressor fridge?

That will be awesome during the day especially if sunny :) but having run for a period of time with an emulsion fridge, a cube fridge, a ~7CF compressor fridge, and the current 4.7/5CF or whatever it is I have opinions.

With a ‘traditional’ newer small compressor fridge, I’d say 100Ah is barely doable and marginal at best; your 200Ah is probably acceptable, and 300Ah+ basically eliminates thinking about capacity.

If your fridge is a propane/electric’ dual fuel’ and it’s warm or hot climate your 200Ah is going to get cycled more than I think is optimal though with lfp it’s not as critical. Math says that might go two days without good sun but you have 700W of input so you’ll probably be ok.

Other folks might have better input with running the prop/electric on batteries. Two different campers now and I’ve sold off my propane fridges…

Back