diy solar

diy solar

New Inverter/Charger and Solar Setup for Class A

tonkamog

Newbie here looking to upgrade my power system in a class-A motorhome. Currently has a factory setup of 12k split phase generator that I want to keep and a Magnum 12v 2800w inverter/charger that drives one side of the split phase system. It is currently powered by 8 FLA batteries.

My goals are to upgrade the battery bank to be able to run everything from battery, including light usage of one of the air conditioners and installing a solar panel array on the roof to be able to be more or less self sufficient. I would like to install a 5k+ 48v inverter/charger or all-in-one with the associated DC-DC converters to charge from the alternator and keep the chassis batteries charged. I will likely move the high draw 12v accessories (hydraulic jack power and slide-out power) to the chassis batteries. I really only use them when the engine is running anyway.

My biggest questions have to do with the AC side of the system: The only 240v appliance is the dryer and I'm ok with not ever running that on inverter, but I would like to maintain the split-phase system since the generator and standard 50-amp plug and transfer switches provide that currently. Which inverter/chargers or all-in-ones would you recommend that will switch the entire split phase system over when plugging in or using the generator? Of those, would they support the rare instance where I want to plug into a 30a outlet, tying both legs of the 240 to one 120v feed? This is the lowest priority; just curious if any of them would support it.

The only 240v appliance is the dryer and I'm ok with not ever running that on inverter,
This is the first factory 50 amp RV that has a 240 VAC load I've seen.
Would you please post a picture of the ac/dc distribution panel?

As for inverter/chargers...

This is the first factory 50 amp RV that has a 240 VAC load.
Would you please post a picture of the ac/dc distribution panel?
I could be wrong about the 240v. The coach is in storage, but here is a pic I have of the main AC panel - don't have one of the sub-panel.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 17
I could be wrong about the 240v. The coach is in storage, but here is a pic I have of the main AC panel - don't have one of the sub-panel.
Appears to be 120/240 panel but I don't see any double pole branch circuits.
There is a washer dryer on the position 4a which is a 20 amp circuit on a tandem breaker.

I just learned something.
According to this its a main lug only panel.
So the hot feeders must land on the 50amp double pole breaker.
I wonder if there is a physical lockdown device for the breaker.

Factory did this, confirm?

Yes, it is all factory. I don't have a photo, but there is a sub-panel for the leg that can be fed by the factory inverter. It has all the breakers for the more common items, like microwave and outlets. I believe the other leg, which is on the main panel above, is currently pass through and only hot if the generator is on or shore power plugged in. I would like to power both legs with whatever inverter/charger/AIO I find.

Yes, it is all factory. I don't have a photo, but there is a sub-panel for the leg that can be fed by the factory inverter. It has all the breakers for the more common items, like microwave and outlets. I believe the other leg, which is on the main panel above, is currently pass through and only hot if the generator is on or shore power plugged in. I would like to power both legs with whatever inverter/charger/AIO I find.

You won't be able to power everything but both of the inverters I linked are split phase and can feed the panel you posted.

As for inverter/chargers...
That magnum shows promise. I might even be able to maintain my current magnum remote/wiring.

You won't be able to power everything but both of the inverters I are split phase and can feed the panel you posted.
Yes, I understand that. My plan is just to not use the electric boiler (it's primary source is diesel anyway), dryer, and two of the air conditioners. -or maybe experiment with mini-split system for one or two of the air conditioners.

FWIW, I'm running (2) Magnum MS2812's so it's possible to just add a second one for L2, that's how ours is setup. We have one for L1, one for L2 and we don't stack them, they run independently.
I can run 2 of the AC units from the system, 1 per inverter, and it's nice for evenings when you are boondocking but still need to cool the coach for a while.
I'm guessing yours is set up in a similar manner, you have 1 leg that is connected to L1 in the panel, 1 AC and the "inverter capable" loads are attached to it. Then L2 has the rest of high amperage loads and possibly a second AC.
This setup would let you power essential loads on 15a, 1 AC plus loads on 30a, and all of the loads (but not all at the same time) on 50A connections.

FWIW, I'm running (2) Magnum MS2812's so it's possible to just add a second one for L2, that's how ours is setup. We have one for L1, one for L2 and we don't stack them, they run independently.
I can run 2 of the AC units from the system, 1 per inverter, and it's nice for evenings when you are boondocking but still need to cool the coach for a while.
I'm guessing yours is set up in a similar manner, you have 1 leg that is connected to L1 in the panel, 1 AC and the "inverter capable" loads are attached to it. Then L2 has the rest of high amperage loads and possibly a second AC.
This setup would let you power essential loads on 15a, 1 AC plus loads on 30a, and all of the loads (but not all at the same time) on 50A connections.
I suspect you are right. I hadn't considered just using another MS2812

@tonkamog have you gotten your class a out of storage?
Yes, Joey. Here are both power panels. Like jberger said, it looks like it is running most inverter loads in stock config on one leg. I received my batteries from China, so I am working on getting them top-balanced. Let me know any other questions you have now that the rig is on the street here.
Main AC Panel 1.jpegMain AC Panel 2.jpeg

Back