diy solar

diy solar

New inverter only putting out 50hz (should be 60)

circus

Solar Enthusiast
Received only 30 minutes ago. Plugged in a Kill-a watt with no load, 50hz, plugged in 1000w resistive load, 50hz. plugged in a fan, a little slower. Other than that it pumped out 1500w without breaking a sweat. Should I care? Does it matter? Should I complain?

Update: Repaired

Last edited:
I guess if you buy a 50 Hz inverter, it gives you 50 Hz...
icon_smile_crazy.gif

For most things, it wont matter...but if it is not what you ordered, you should complain.

50 Hz inverter usually also mean 230vac inverters so be careful and check.

The PWM driver module might have a 50/60 Hz jumper that manufacturer just accidentially got it set wrong. The secondary of DC-HV DC ferrite transformer might have two windings that either get jumpered in series for 230vac or parallel for 115vac.

For sinewave inverters, HV DC is about 190 vdc for 115vac, or 380 vdc for 230 vac
For modified sinewave inverters, HV DC is about 155 vdc for 115vac or 310 vdc for 230 vac..

Last edited:
50 Hz inverter usually also mean 230vac inverters so be careful and check.

The PWM driver module might have a 50/60 Hz jumper that manufacturer just accidentially got it set wrong. The secondary of DC-HV DC ferrite transformer might have two windings that either get jumpered in series for 230vac or parallel for 115vac.

For sinewave inverters, HV DC is about 190 vdc for 115vac, or 380 vdc for 230 vac
For modified sinewave inverters, HV DC is about 155 vdc for 115vac or 310 vdc for 230 vac..
The inverter, my multi-meter and the Kill-a-watt all display 120v. The "contact seller button" offered only "return the item".

Update: Repaired. They should have, could have, installed jumpers. It would have been a lot easier than tearing it all apart, desoldering and soldering a 0Ω resister .

Last edited:
Living in Japan had 120v 50hz. Did not matter for most things. Even the alarm clocks ran fine. What would be noisy is the washing machines, but a transformer would fix that.

Some things had a 50hz or 60hz switch. Sounds like you were sent a Japanese inverter

Last edited:
Some things had a 50hz or 60hz switch. Sounds like you were sent a Japanese inverter
Found my larger microwave (<1500w grid powered) doesn't like 50hz, sounds like a large seized motor. Darn, have to send it back.

Found my larger microwave (<1500w grid powered) doesn't like 50hz, sounds like a large seized motor. Darn, have to send it back.
Yep..... Microwaves seem to be the most sensitive to the input power of all common appliances.

Do not run anything with a transformer designed for 60 Hz at 50 Hz. The transformer core will saturate. Sounds like you figured that out. Clocks that use the 60 Hz for timing will run slow.

Do not run anything with a transformer designed for 60 Hz at 50 Hz. The transformer core will saturate. Sounds like you figured that out. Clocks that use the 60 Hz for timing will run slow.
Confirmed. My larger microwave runs good after the change from 50 to 60hz.

Back