diy solar

diy solar

New Lifepo4 Battery on my car in place of standard PB /SLA

Lee Grew

Hi , I'm Looking for some information Regarding A relatively new battery manufacturer In the UK , DEAD WEIGHT INDUSTRIES , I have purchased a Cranking Battery from these guys and whilst they seem to be good quality , I'm not convinced that my battery has a low temperature cut off as in the battery will be damaged beyond repair if I were to charge it below 5 degrees Celsius , Has anyone else heard of this brand or know any more details , I'm currently experimenting with making my own battery heater from a USB heat matt from E-bay Just in case .

Many Thanks Lee

Attachments

• Capturebatteries.PNG
    Capturebatteries.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 9
What problem are you trying to solve by changing from LCA to LFP in the Auto?

Do you know if your alternator can supply the right voltage to fully charge LFP?
Do you have protection against a sudden disconnect of the BMS to prevent destruction of your alternator?

For starting applications, it's just not a simple drop in swap. There are plenty of lightweight options for race applications, but those are not always a good choice for general use.

It's not just the low temps you need to worry about, high temps are an issue too, and heat soak in the summer when the car is turned off can easily push the battery above the recommended temp range.

I agree 100% with jberger, those batteries are for "racing", not OEM swap. Other that what he said, imagine what would happen if you headed out to do hood-rat shit with your friends one night, and just as you need a getaway vehicle, you realize that low temp protection has kicked on, and your car is dead on the road.

I had thought about trying to switch to a LiFePO4 starter battery, but the temperature constraints would make it more than inconvenient, I'm not trying to need to swap a battery every season, or remove it from my car when it sits for a week during winter. The exception to this would be using LTO, rather than LiFePO4.

If you are looking to add some heft to your car's electrical system, I would suggest going the dual battery route with a DC-DC charger, and keeping your LA starter battery.

Back