diy solar

diy solar

New Lithium system Alternator Overcharging state

Borderpatrol

Just a couple questions.
2021 Ford Ranger, new Teardrop camper. went lithium 100ah Discover Battery, Renogy 50amp DC/DC charger ( switched to blue for Lithium) with solar input. (2X100w panels not installed yet, next project)
ran a separate line in truck, fused to Anderson plug at back for the REnogy DC/DC charger. proper size wires 6g used 60 amp fuse at battery.
? I defeated the power from the 7 pin and am using it as my ignition sensor for the Renogy as the truck has a smart alt.? this is one of my questions, it made sense to do this as the 12v power in the 7 pin is alive when he truck is on. i could have ran a wire up front on the truck to the fuse box but thought it would accomplish the same thing and already have the power point available where I need it on the camper? any concerns with this? break away brakes possibly? would they not receive the power from the new installed camper battery?
i have a separate Victron lithium charger in the battery box that i can plug into shore power when available to properly charge the battery.

So i hooked everything up and it all seems to work (without connecting to the truck) i charged the battery with the Victron. all power works to the trailer. good so far..
? i then connected the 7 pin and the Anderson plug to my running truck. when i checked the Discover batter box, DCDC, victron, lithium batt.jpgbattery box.jpgBattery BMS Bluetooth it said status of batter was Overcharged or over current. cant remember. when i checked the volts it showed 14.8 coming in from the Alt. is this normal? should the Renogy DC/DC allow this? (Renogy Alternator lite came on solid red which is good it think) my thoughts are alternator is sending the power back to a full battery, maybe its normal for it to say its over current? if your driving all day the battery will get full, right? i did not leave it like this long, maybe only a minute or so, maybe the Renogy needed more time to adjust? am i concerned for nothing here? battery status showed idle when i unplugged.
i can manually shut off my Anderson but would like it if the system was plug an play with no input or manually monitoring the battery state while driving.

? also note, i will pull my fuse in the camper for the charger on the converter as it will not be needed. is this necessary, i thought when i connect to 30 amp campground power to use my A/C (may happen occasionally ) i don't want the camper converter system using its charger on the lithium battery?

Last edited:
Just a couple questions.
2021 Ford Ranger, new Teardrop camper. went lithium 100ah Discovery Battery, Renogy 50amp DC/DC charger ( switched to blue for Lithium) with solar input. (2X100w panels not installed yet, next project)
ran a separate line in truck, fused to Anderson plug at back for the REnogy DC/DC charger. proper size wires 6g used 60 amp fuse at battery.
? I defeated the power from the 7 pin and am using it as my ignition sensor for the Renogy as the truck has a smart alt.? this is one of my questions, it made sense to do this as the 12v power in the 7 pin is alive when he truck is on. i could have ran a wire up front on the truck to the fuse box but thought it would accomplish the same thing and already have the power point available where I need it on the camper? any concerns with this? break away brakes possibly? would they not receive the power from the new installed camper battery?
i have a separate Victron lithium charger in the battery box that i can plug into shore power when available to properly charge the battery.

So i hooked everything up and it all seems to work (without connecting to the truck) i charged the battery with the Victron. all power works to the trailer. good so far..
? i then connected the 7 pin and the Anderson plug to my running truck. when i checked the Discovery View attachment 95807View attachment 95808Battery BMS Bluetooth it said status of batter was Overcharged or over current. cant remember. when i checked the volts it showed 14.8 coming in from the Alt. is this normal? should the Renogy DC/DC allow this? (Renogy Alternator lite came on solid red which is good it think) my thoughts are alternator is sending the power back to a full battery, maybe its normal for it to say its over current? if your driving all day the battery will get full, right? i did not leave it like this long, maybe only a minute or so, maybe the Renogy needed more time to adjust? am i concerned for nothing here? battery status showed idle when i unplugged.
i can manually shut off my Anderson but would like it if the system was plug an play with no input or manually monitoring the battery state while driving.

? also note, i will pull my fuse in the camper for the charger on the converter as it will not be needed. is this necessary, i thought when i connect to 30 amp campground power to use my A/C (may happen occasionally ) i don't want the camper converter system using its charger on the lithium battery?
I ran my fridge for a day and got the battery to.50% capacity. I hooked up my truck again and Anderson plug. Connected my Blutooth and now show charge at about 48 amps. Seems high to me, will the alternator push that much continuous? It let it run for about 4 minutes put 2% back in the battery. Just wondering if this sounds correct? Not in an overcharge situation but with a partially discharged battery? Screenshot_20220525-200405_Discover Blue.jpg20220525_200457.jpg

If your converter charger is setup for lithium there is no reason to not use it to charge your batteries when you are on “free” campground power. What you want to avoid is a energy killing loop where your inverter takes Power from your battery inverts it to 110 and then your converter charges the battery with it wasting a lot of energy. If you are using an inverter off of the house battery to power your entire circuit panel you must have the converter turned off.

It's just a cheap converter with the camper with no settings, so set for standard non lithium.

I ran my fridge for a day and got the battery to.50% capacity. I hooked up my truck again and Anderson plug. Connected my Blutooth and now show charge at about 48 amps. Seems high to me, will the alternator push that much continuous? It let it run for about 4 minutes put 2% back in the battery. Just wondering if this sounds correct? Not in an overcharge situation but with a partially discharged battery? View attachment 95845View attachment 95846
an alternator will pump all the amps out it can until it overheats and dies. SO yes it can do it continuous, how long depends on the kind of alternator. One that is built for such a situation could, a "stock" alternator will die. Seems to me and I may be wrong most ppl just don't worry about attempting to charge house batteries with the tow vehicle.
stock means in this situation, one that is bought off the shelf from auto parts house or dealership. The only way you get a heavy duty alternator that can handle the heat is to buy it specifically.

an alternator will pump all the amps out it can until it overheats and dies. SO yes it can do it continuous, how long depends on the kind of alternator. One that is built for such a situation could, a "stock" alternator will die. Seems to me and I may be wrong most ppl just don't worry about attempting to charge house batteries with the tow vehicle.
stock means in this situation, one that is bought off the shelf from auto parts house or dealership. The only way you get a heavy duty alternator that can handle the heat is to buy it specifically.
So after reading a bit more on the DC to DC charger I'm thinking that it will deliver 50amps max to the battery. I dont have solar hooked up so it will use all 50 from the alternator. I'm assuming if I had solar bringing 10 then the alt would.delliver 40 etc?. I guess my question is will the Renogy charger shut off the pull from the truck alternator once the battery is full? That did not seem to happen when I hooked it up the first time when the battery was fully charged, thus the over charge condition the battery was showing. I would hope it would shut off in it's own in this situation.

So after reading a bit more on the DC to DC charger I'm thinking that it will deliver 50amps max to the battery. I dont have solar hooked up so it will use all 50 from the alternator. I'm assuming if I had solar bringing 10 then the alt would.delliver 40 etc?. I guess my question is will the Renogy charger shut off the pull from the truck alternator once the battery is full? That did not seem to happen when I hooked it up the first time when the battery was fully charged, thus the over charge condition the battery was showing. I would hope it would shut off in it's own in this situation
Lifepo4 has very low internal resistance it will take 10 amps from your solar and 50 amps from your alternator at the same time unless the devices you are charging with limit it in some way

Back