diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Is the Luxpower UL Certified?

I have been told so by a LuxPower distributor in my state, but there are subtle differences in compliant, certified, and listed as you probably know. You will have to determine which level your state requires. I will be trying to determine which level it is and getting certificates or listing numbers for proof before I buy.

Both the LuxPower and GSL Energy brochures says the following: IEEE1547, FCC, SDOC, UL1741.

The LuxPower manual says, "The inverter has passed the main grid-connection regulations in the US(IEEE1547, CA Rule21, HECO Rule 14H, etc.)."

It also says, "All UL1741SA compliant grid-interactive inverter has the Frequency-Watt feature, which requires the grid-interactive inverter to reduce power with the increasing of grid frequency when grid frequency is over 60 Hz. The power will drop to zero before the over frequency trip threshold is reached. When the Luxpower hybrid inverter requires the grid interactive inverter to reduce power, it simply shift the output frequency up a bit, the grid-interactive inverter will limit its output power accordingly after sensing this frequency shift."

UL 1741 SA is a product safety standard that establishes manufacturing and testing requirements. UL 1741 SA is officially called "UL 1741: Standard for Inverters, Converters, Controllers and Interconnection System Equipment for Use with Distributed Energy Resources." SA is short for Supplement A, an addition to the existing UL 1741 standard designed to create a standard for inverters more capable of dealing with a volatile grid and "future-proofing" by creating a standard for inverters to actively manage grid functions. Products that meet this requirement are known as "Grid Support Inverters," "Smart Inverters," or "Advanced Inverters."

It appears that supplement A is in draft form currently and only applies to California. So unless you live in California it should be UL1741 compliant. Even if you do, it sounds like the inverters meet most of the draft standard for Supplement A and California Rule 21. But you would need to verify if what it is missing if anything is required by the state.

If you have more information about this please post it here.

Last edited:
Lux Power is making the GSL and Huayu inverters. Lux Power has given an exclusive to Huayu for the <12kW models (which are all basically the same family of inverters), so LP and GSL can only sell the 12kW model.

I looked into these inverters as well, there's another thread on it here which I recommend reading before purchasing. One forum user got jerked around pretty bad from Huayu after paying for a 10kW model and being told it was in stock and ready to ship. It was a stressful situation and took a lot to get (most of) his money back after several months. Between that, lack of solid feedback, being completely new inverters (with likely associated issues due to being a new design (see all the ongoing issues with the Megarevos)), poor factory communication, some YT videos showing domestic issues with the inverter(s), not to mention little if any real US tech support or service, I decided it was worth the extra money to stick with SA. To me, paying a little more to have help or questions answered 24/7, knowing I can get the inverter properly/quickly serviced domestically (without having to send it back and forth to China and hope that process goes well), and going with more proven design/software, etc was worth the premium... especially when all the shipping and fees were factored in for buying an inverter directly from China. YMMV.

These inverters might very well turn out to be the cat's meow in time, but for the price difference, it wasn't worth the gamble to me being a first adopter for a product which I knew I'd have to deal directly with China with. If your Chinglish is good and you're okay with potentially dealing with the Chinese factory for questions and service, it might be worth the cost savings/gamble to you.

Just my two cents...

Lux Power is making the GSL and Huayu inverters. Lux Power has given an exclusive to Huayu for the <12kW models (which are all basically the same family of inverters), so LP and GSL can only sell the 12kW model.
How then is GSL selling all of the models above that are less than 12k? The UL certificate shows all of their models less than 12k certified effective May 9, this year. That's only three months ago.

If you look at the Huayu 12k inverter its specs don't mesh with the LuxPower and GSL Energy inverters. Those two are identical. Even the manuals are nearly identical. The Huayu isn't and doesn't even look the same.

Where did you get your information? Can you post it here?

Edit:
I read your other thread. Its a completely different model released a year ago. The model we are talking about here hasn't even been released. If there is a problem with Huayu, then don't buy it. I haven't had any problem getting information from GSL. They have responded to every inquiry I have made, and done it next business day. Time will tell if Lux Power got this one right or not. Someone needs to order, test, and post the results. I'm sure someone will do it. The "extra money to stick with SA" is over $5000 per unit. That is ridiculous, and we need an alternative.

Last edited:
Luxpower is manufactured, they maket is Asia and Eu

Attachments

• 4C0CCA8F-EF85-43B3-BEAE-F890664406E5.png
    4C0CCA8F-EF85-43B3-BEAE-F890664406E5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Can you tell me which distributor it is? I need to buy a 12kW hybrid inverter. I'm in Irvine, California
The company that I talked with is Atlas Power Solutions. Their prices are terrible and I don't know much more about them. They seem to sell several brands under their own label. They are currently selling an older 12kW model that is made by a different manufacturer. The GSL model should be out in September, and according to the guy I talked with, it should be up on their web site by then. I don't have high hopes for their price on it though. You may be better off contacting GSL directly via alibaba to get more information.

Can you post a link to the Luxpower and GSL inverters you're referencing to clarify things?

As of a month or so ago, LP was making the entire line of NA hybrid inverters (7.6kW-12kW), with Huayu having exclusive rights to the 7.6kW-10kW models and LP being able to sell the 12kW model. GSL was rebranding the Megarevo inverters (after Deye shut off their supply of Deye NA model hybrids), but it's certainly possible they are rebranding the LP or Huayu inverters going forward as the Megarevos have had their fair share of issues.

I'm not saying all of this is still accurate today, but it was in June-July time period. With the Chinese, who knows what's happening minute by minute! It's also possible LP has revamped their initial release of this line of inverters, which were press released earlier this year. I'm just curious what is actually taking place now.

Can you post a link to the Luxpower and GSL inverters you're referencing to clarify things?

As of a month or so ago, LP was making the entire line of NA hybrid inverters (7.6kW-12kW), with Huayu having exclusive rights to the 7.6kW-10kW models and LP being able to sell the 12kW model. GSL was rebranding the Megarevo inverters (after Deye shut off their supply of Deye NA model hybrids), but it's certainly possible they are rebranding the LP or Huayu inverters going forward as the Megarevos have had their fair share of issues.

I'm not saying all of this is still accurate today, but it was in June-July time period. With the Chinese, who knows what's happening minute by minute! It's also possible LP has revamped their initial release of this line of inverters, which were press released earlier this year. I'm just curious what is actually taking place now.

LuxPower has a link to the new model but GSL doesn't yet. I have posted the information I have about both at the front of this channel. I had access to the GSL manual for a while but it was through a secure viewer and they have deleted my access to it now. I will try to get a PDF version of it if I can. It was essentially identical to the LuxPower manual with the exception of formatting. I posted the link to that earlier but here it is again: Lux Power Manual. The new GSL model is not a Megarevo or a Huayu.

Liniotech now has a link to the same inverter under their label: Liniotech 12K All-In-One Solar Inverter Hybrid

Last edited:
How then is GSL selling all of the models above that are less than 12k? The UL certificate shows all of their models less than 12k certified effective May 9, this year. That's only three months ago.

If you look at the Huayu 12k inverter its specs don't mesh with the LuxPower and GSL Energy inverters. Those two are identical. Even the manuals are nearly identical. The Huayu isn't and doesn't even look the same.

Where did you get your information? Can you post it here?

Edit:
I read your other thread. Its a completely different model released a year ago. The model we are talking about here hasn't even been released. If there is a problem with Huayu, then don't buy it. I haven't had any problem getting information from GSL. They have responded to every inquiry I have made, and done it next business day. Time will tell if Lux Power got this one right or not. Someone needs to order, test, and post the results. I'm sure someone will do it. The "extra money to stick with SA" is over $5000 per unit. That is ridiculous, and we need an alternative.
I agree SA is ludicrous on their pricing and we need a comparable alternative. Deye should figure out a way to get around SA and sell to the NA market. If SA wants to choke off competition they should be cut out of the market themselves.

I’ve been tracking these Huayu offerings since the spring and it’s cool to see them finally arriving.

I don’t really care whether they are manufactured by Huayu or not - the market important thing is to identify a US channel that successfully gets through the approval process and will be a reliable supplier.

Has any purchased one of these in the US yet?

I’m not really interested in the MPPTs because of the high voltage requirement but the face that Microinverters can be connected to the UPS and tapered when needed through frequency shift is a major attraction.

Will be interested to hear if/when some first US owners have tested that capability…

I am glad to see another discussion on hybrids. Hybrids are what are really needed for whole-house system. The Huayu models you pointed to are different than this LuxPower model though, as can be seen from the GSL user's manual. I didn't see any reference in your links to the Huayu NA low voltage models either. They have those on their main website, but they aren't selling direct and don't seem to have any documentation. I haven't heard of anyone buying them yet, and I get the impression from what I have been able to gather so far, that the prices are going to be unreasonable. It still looks to me like vaporware. If the Huayu model is really ready, they don't seem to be doing what they need to do to sell any.

I know that this LuxPower model has shipped already through GSL and that they are ramping up production. The PV inputs aren't high voltage. It requires 100V to turn on and 230V for maximum MPPT efficiency. That's standard for PV inverters. This model has two modes for zero export. One if you don't have a meter that will trip and one if you do. The mode for meters that trip, monitors the current backflow at 20ms intervals. The frequency shifting capability should also be a great feature. All of these features need to be proven out on this model. I hope it succeeds and will drive the prices down on hybrids. I would like to buy one, but I'm waiting for someone with more time and money to be the guinea pig. I would really like to see someone review all of the features of this model.

I am glad to see another discussion on hybrids. Hybrids are what are really needed for whole-house system.
There are tons of hybrid inverters out there, so it’s not the hybrid aspect that is important to me as much as the zero-import through load offset feature (avoiding the need for any rewiring on the load side) and the zero-export through battery charging capability.

I’m doing this now using an SCC to charge a 24V LiFePO4 in DC (zero export) and a pair of GTIL inverters to load-shift and offset peak load (load offset).

But finding an all-in-one that will allow me to move from DC-coupled to AC-coupled (Microinverters) through frequency-shift throttling would be a big upgrade.
The Huayu models you pointed to are different than this LuxPower model though, as can be seen from the GSL user's manual. I didn't see any reference in your links to the Huayu NA low voltage models either. They have those on their main website, but they aren't selling direct and don't seem to have any documentation.
Huayu is mess but when I dove into this late last year, I confirmed they are the actual manufacturer (true Deye competitor). GSL and Luxpower are almost certainly resellers).

So I think of Huayu’s website ingot as a menu of products/capability they have available in manufacturing.

Who’ll end up picking up witch product line, under what geographic of functional terms of exclusivity, and with what small customizations / tweaks should become clear over the next year or two.

I haven't heard of anyone buying them yet, and I get the impression from what I have been able to gather so far, that the prices are going to be unreasonable. It still looks to me like vaporware. If the Huayu model is really ready, they don't seem to be doing what they need to do to sell any.
I doubt Huayu has any interest to sell into the North American market if they can find an effective partner to do so. As we’ve seen with Deye / Solark, this usually translates to inflated pricing.

I don’t think it’s vaporware and the recent Signature Solar video of them testing a Huayu hybrid is pretty much proof of that.

I’ve reached out to Signature Solar to get a sense of when they expect to be reselling Huayu offerings.
I know that this LuxPower model has shipped already through GSL and that they are ramping up production.
Pretty sure I’ve seen threads were GSK was reselling Deye’s at one point. So you need to be very careful when speaking about the resellers. They don’t have any actual manufacturing to ramp up - they nail down distribution contracts, then commit orders and wait for manufacturers like Huayu to begin delivering product. When the contracts / partners change, so do the manufacturers. All the products will be labeled GSL or Luxpower, buy the manufacturing will have switched between Deye and Huayu.

If the pinouts are identical to what you see in the Huayu documentation, you know they were manufactured by Huayu.

Personally, I’ll have more confidence purchasing a Huayu-branded product from a straight-up distributor like Signature Solar than I would be buying from a rebadged like Luxpower.

Among other things, Huayu is a major silupplier of Microinverters - that has been their primary solar business up to now. So since I am interested in AC-coupling, I’m going to much more confident combining Huayu Microinverters with the Huayu hybrid.

The PV inputs aren't high voltage. It requires 100V to turn on and 230V for maximum MPPT efficiency. That's standard for PV inverters.
MPPT not a priority for me. I need 1S for DC due to shading, so 100V is as much of a showstopper as 400V. That problem is avoided going to AC-coupling, but I’m still on the fence as to whether I want to go from 24VDC to a 48VDC battery of a 400VDC battery (partly since EV bidirectional chargers will all be operating at 400VDC…).
This model has two modes for zero export. One if you don't have a meter that will trip and one if you do. The mode for meters that trip, monitors the current backflow at 20ms intervals.
Yeah, there are many options out there. I’m still on the fence between going ‘black box’ and diving into the world of making my own Rasberry-Pie-based energy meter (which means you need products supporting open communication standards).

Emporia’s plan to introduce a bidirectional charger controlled by their energy monitor looks very appealing, at least until you want to do anything the least bit differently than they have predetermined in their app.

I’m interested to have a small house battery-based system that is always there to offset some load and peak-shift along with a full-day zero-import / minimum export from my grid-tied array that only functions when the EV is plugged in.

Making sure 2 distinct load-compensation solutions play nice together is a concern…
The frequency shifting capability should also be a great feature. All of these features need to be proven out on this model.
Yeah, the ability to taper-off generation on the Critical Loads AC side is the key capability of Huayu’s offerings (as well as rebadged versions).
I hope it succeeds and will drive the prices down on hybrids. I would like to buy one, but I'm waiting for someone with more time and money to be the guinea pig. I would really like to see someone review all of the features of this model.
When you state ‘hybrids’ I believe you mean ‘AC-coupled hybrids with frequency shift.’

Huayu’s offerings will not be expensive. The key issue is whether their resellers/brands for the US market will demand exclusivity such as Solark agreed with Deye and excessive markups due to that exclusivity will result.

In terms of my knowledges of the market, the established offerings / vendors that are proven today include:

Solark
Schneider Conext XT
Victron (partially)

If Signature does resell Huayu offerings, I expect them to be well-below all of these alternatives on price.

You are making a lot of statements without substantiating them. The models you are talking about have wildly different specifications. I've looked at them. GSL is a reseller as I have stated several times in this thread, and the manufacturer is LuxPower not Deye or Huayu. GSL was selling Deye until the NA agreement with SolArk. That is clear from all of the information I have provided here. Their stock is currently available and increasing in the months ahead. I have provided the details of that in this thread as well. You can believe what you want to believe, but you need to provide facts and documentation to substantiate what you say in this forum or you are arguing just for the sake of argument.

For example, here's a few statements that I'm just wondering how you know the answers to:
  • There are tons of hybrid inverters out there,...
  • GSL and Luxpower are almost certainly resellers.
  • Huayu is mess but when I dove into this late last year, I confirmed they are the actual manufacturer (true Deye competitor).
  • If the pinouts are identical to what you see in the Huayu documentation, you know they were manufactured by Huayu.
  • Yeah, the ability to taper-off generation on the Critical Loads AC side is the key capability of Huayu’s offerings (as well as rebadged versions).
  • Personally, I’ll have more confidence purchasing a Huayu-branded product from a straight-up distributor like Signature Solar than I would be buying from a rebadged like Luxpower.
  • Huayu’s offerings will not be expensive.
  • If Signature does resell Huayu offerings, I expect them to be well-below all of these alternatives on price.
If there are so many hybrid inverters out there, why did you need to create your thread on a new class of ac-coupled zero-export battery inverters, and why haven't you purchased one already that meets your needs?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread GSL is a reseller. They are known for their storage systems. They recently got into inverters to compliment their storage system offerings. Your information about GSL inverters and Deye was accurate last year, but inaccurate this year. They can't be selling Deyes to North America if SolArk has exclusive rights to do so. You stated that above. Have you talked with the owner of GSL, or the CEO of LuxPower?

Have you compared the components and connections (pinouts) in the Huayu documentation with the that of the GSL/LuxPower model? Have you seen the circuit boards of either brand? Have you compared the chassis they are each housed in? Have you compared their specifications? Where did you get this information and can you share it? What was identical and what was different?

Do you own a Huayu inverter? Do you own the 12kW version you are talking about here? I thought it still wasn't available. Which rebadged versions of the Huayu inverter exist? Do you have a list? I would like to do some comparisons between them and the Huayu and LuxPower models. Specifically the AC-side frequency shifting capabilities that are the key capability of the Huayu offerings.

How do you know that LuxPower is a rebadge? Which Huayu models have they rebadged and how long have they been doing it? They don't sell to the public, so what would be the purpose of rebadging a Huayu? With a population of over 1.4 billion people and an economy that rivals the US, isn't it possible that there are more manufactures of inverters than Huayu and Deye?

How do you know that Huayu won't be expensive? Your argument was that Huayu has no interest in selling to the NA market if they can get resellers who will most likely inflate the prices like Deye / SolArk. SolArk is the most expensive reseller out there. Have you talked with the CEO of Huayu or the owner of Signature Solar? Do you have their price list? Is Signature Solar currently providing documentation and pricing on the Huayu models they sell? The only hybrid inverter they currently offer on their website is the Schneider XW Pro 6.8kW. https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/hybrid/inverters/. That's not exactly a Huayu 12kW model or an inverter with the same specs as the GSL LuxPower model in this thread.

You are making a lot of statements without substantiating them. The models you are talking about have wildly different specifications. I've looked at them. GSL is a reseller as I have stated several times in this thread, and the manufacturer is LuxPower not Deye or Huayu. GSL was selling Deye until the NA agreement with SolArk. That is clear from all of the information I have provided here. Their stock is currently available and increasing in the months ahead. I have provided the details of that in this thread as well. You can believe what you want to believe, but you need to provide facts and documentation to substantiate what you say in this forum or you are arguing just for the sake of argument.

For example, here's a few statements that I'm just wondering how you know the answers to:
  • There are tons of hybrid inverters out there,...
  • GSL and Luxpower are almost certainly resellers.
  • Huayu is mess but when I dove into this late last year, I confirmed they are the actual manufacturer (true Deye competitor).
  • If the pinouts are identical to what you see in the Huayu documentation, you know they were manufactured by Huayu.
  • Yeah, the ability to taper-off generation on the Critical Loads AC side is the key capability of Huayu’s offerings (as well as rebadged versions).
  • Personally, I’ll have more confidence purchasing a Huayu-branded product from a straight-up distributor like Signature Solar than I would be buying from a rebadged like Luxpower.
  • Huayu’s offerings will not be expensive.
  • If Signature does resell Huayu offerings, I expect them to be well-below all of these alternatives on price.
If there are so many hybrid inverters out there, why did you need to create your thread on a new class of ac-coupled zero-export battery inverters, and why haven't you purchased one already that meets your needs?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread GSL is a reseller. They are known for their storage systems. They recently got into inverters to compliment their storage system offerings. Your information about GSL inverters and Deye was accurate last year, but inaccurate this year. They can't be selling Deyes to North America if SolArk has exclusive rights to do so. You stated that above. Have you talked with the owner of GSL, or the CEO of LuxPower?

Have you compared the components and connections (pinouts) in the Huayu documentation with the that of the GSL/LuxPower model? Have you seen the circuit boards of either brand? Have you compared the chassis they are each housed in? Have you compared their specifications? Where did you get this information and can you share it? What was identical and what was different?

Do you own a Huayu inverter? Do you own the 12kW version you are talking about here? I thought it still wasn't available. Which rebadged versions of the Huayu inverter exist? Do you have a list? I would like to do some comparisons between them and the Huayu and LuxPower models. Specifically the AC-side frequency shifting capabilities that are the key capability of the Huayu offerings.

How do you know that LuxPower is a rebadge? Which Huayu models have they rebadged and how long have they been doing it? They don't sell to the public, so what would be the purpose of rebadging a Huayu? With a population of over 1.4 billion people and an economy that rivals the US, isn't it possible that there are more manufactures of inverters than Huayu and Deye?

How do you know that Huayu won't be expensive? Your argument was that Huayu has no interest in selling to the NA market if they can get resellers who will most likely inflate the prices like Deye / SolArk. SolArk is the most expensive reseller out there. Have you talked with the CEO of Huayu or the owner of Signature Solar? Do you have their price list? Is Signature Solar currently providing documentation and pricing on the Huayu models they sell? The only hybrid inverter they currently offer on their website is the Schneider XW Pro 6.8kW. https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/hybrid/inverters/. That's not exactly a Huayu 12kW model or an inverter with the same specs as the GSL LuxPower model in this thread.
This is too much of a firehouse of questions for me to respond to.

I have spoken at length with the CEO of Signature Solar (but not since they’ve apparently gotten interested in Huayu’s offerings).

I’ve also had extensive exchanges with ‘the coiorist’ on this Forum, but that thread and possibly also his involvement here appear to have been purged due to the new vendor rules.

And rheee was also a thread where I and others had several exchanges with the Huayu sales representative responsible for North America, but that thread also appears to have been purged.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what precisely co statures a ‘hybrid inverter’ but I’ll let you sort that out for yourself using google.

In the meantime, if there are one or two specific questions you would like me to help you with, highlight those and I’ll do my best to fill in any additional details I can recall.

But please be aware, expecting Weatern / American-style certainty when buying cheap solar inverters manufactured in China is hopeless quest…

Back